Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know.... kernkraft!

Options
  • 28-01-2014 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Zombie, zombie nation.....Na na nana na na.......

Previous threads of this series are:

Kurt Godel
    littlemsfickle
    BTH
    Green&Red
    Catzweazle
    Dory
    Oryx
    RQ
    Fazz
    Bambaata
    pgibbo
    AKW
    shotgunmcos

As much fun and torture as I had from a stint in this series, it is time to hand the baton over to one who moves to a different beat.... :)

May I present peter kern......... Enjoy!

peter the one thing the people really want to know is...... how long can you hold a plank for after reading this ?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Exactly how many keys is your keyboard missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Hi Peter,

1 - what ranks as your top 3 race performances (with splits please)?

2 - favourite race distance as I think you've done them all?

3 - will you race Kilkee this year or any others or does coaching take over at main races?

4 - When you were training for your 9hr ironman, what avg weekly volume in each discipline were you at?

5 - favourite race you've done and why?

6 - How often do you perform testing sessions on your athletes you coach?

7 - favourite session to do?

8 - favourite session to coach?

9 - what are the 3 most important criteria in success at triathlon in your opinion?

10 - How does one prepare best for the marathon portion of an ironman? Or is it mainly mental battles for the last couple hours! ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

thanks Mike
    I did not really want to do this I dodnt talk very often aobut myself I am more the listener and observer person. Having said so i was very impressed with getting to know kurt and Akw. and your story how you met your wife mike was total class ( my respect for that answer)

i am a coach and not an athlete so i dont do planks ;-) if i do them i dont stop the time i finish when i fell that i have been working enough then i do count another 10 seconds and then i stop. I am not worried about the time I hold it, I am worried what it is going to do for me and how it will affect the rest of the day
    the reality is I need to do planks but again I havent really trained really for 5 years.

And to get one thing of my chest at the very start.

As I do get tired of the question, are you racing again .
    I do not, when I race this is for me to stay in touch how hard it actually is to race and the whole process that at race entails , i think the CEO of a supermarket should work 3-7 days a year at the shop floor to keep in touch, what it is like to work for his company and observe customers so I think i still need to race but when i race its more work then enjoyment. At the same time if I was to wake up 1 day and decide i am going to change my bank card pin with a new goal time ( its still the same as it was till 2005 ) then so it be. To be honest I cant see it really happen.

I want to stay fit as i realized at the end of 2012 if you are not fit life gets harder.

tunney wrote: »
    Exactly how many keys is your keyboard missing?

none ,
    I am dyslexic , I was told i would never learn english, i did not listen to them and I now speak english and spanish. ( write horrible all three languages) but I get buy and the people that care deal with my writing and the others dont deal with it not a biggy .

At the same time when people tell me they cant swim cycle or run I tell them to f..ck off and get a grip if they really wnat it they can do it maby never perfect but always better than they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Hi Peter, fair play stepping up to the challenge of the week. Sorry if you have addressed this in normal threads.

How did you get into coaching?
    What do you think is the biggest development in coaching knowledge for triathlon training in the last decade?
    What differentiates you from other coaches? Your unique selling point that makes PB3 better than other coaches.
    What other coach do you admire the most?

• Advertisement

Fazz wrote: »
    Hi Peter,

1 - what ranks as your top 3 race performances (with splits please)?
    my top perofrmance was malaysi Ironman with a fractured ripp it was a Dnf but thats the only perfromace iam poud off. I think 57 non wetsuit swim 4.50 bike dnf at k 35 as i got out of the price money and i had made a deal i race for as long as i am in the price money. I rode more than 90 k out of the saddle in that race .

the other perofrmance iam poud of 2 month before i broke 9 hours i was in a dip I spoke to a friend and that i was tired , he asked me what did you achieve so far, I said nothing, I left I went todo a 10 k race that day won it and got a place offered for the challenger roth .... split was 32.40 ish

3rd kilkee last year that hurt and i was so tired i could not go to the part

2 - favourite race distance as I think you've done them all?
    I dodn have a favorite distance. i hate 3 k 20 3k run duathlons

3 - will you race Kilkee this year or any others or does coaching take over at main races?
    answered above , if i do 1 race its usually kilkee ...its just the best day in triathlon ( soalr berg in roth is probabply the most eerie race expereince in triathlon in a race )

4 - When you were training for your 9hr ironman, what avg weekly volume in each discipline were you at?
    its very hard to meassure most of my training was done while travelling on a bike around australia and new zealand.
    so there was weeks I did not swim than there was weeks were i swam 60 km on my own when in ireland it was then aobut 20k swim 80 k running and a good bit of cycling. I would not train like i tained back then so its not really relevant.

5 - favourite race you've done and why?
    as above I would like to master malaysia ironman the race got me twice

6 - How often do you perform testing sessions on your athletes you coach?
    I test them pretty much every session i see them.

7 - favourite session to do? cycling to the Nac at 5 am in the moring.

8 - favourite session to coach? its much more who I coach. favorite session is when everybody is focused but still has time for a laugh.

9 - what are the 3 most important criteria in success at triathlon in your opinion? consitency , a strong mind and to be honest something has to be wrong with somebody to really perfom ;-0 the anger of lance A will never be beaten . so let me say its being honest to oneslef.

10 - How does one prepare best for the marathon portion of an ironman? Or is it mainly mental battles for the last couple hours! ?
    one swims and bikes a lot. and the other thing is everybody dies a few times in an IM marathon its how your get yourself out of it that counts so its much more mental prep and the focuse for the next step not to the finish line.

peter kern wrote: »
    none ,
    I am dyslexic , I was told i would never learn english, i did not listen to them and I now speak english and spanish. ( write horrible all three languages) but I get buy and the people that care deal with my writing and the others dont deal with it not a biggy .

I did not know that. There would have been alot less Sutton-eqsue abuse had it been known. Always assumed it was a lack of attention to spelling and detail rather than a condition.

Did you consider voice to text technologies? May make your life easier.

Is it just writing or reading too that is affected? Apologies for my ignorance on the subject.

How did this affect your school years? You must have hated school?
    At the same time when people tell me thay can swim cycle or run I tell them to f..ck off and get a grip if they really wnat it they can do it maby never perfect but always better than they think.

As in you overcame your issues and others can too if they really try?
    Agree with this if that is the case.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hi Peter

As a coach do you think the stick, or the carrot approach works best? As in criticism vs encouragement?

What has given you the biggest reward, your own achievements, or those of the athletes you coach?

What are the key qualities of a good coach?

What are the key qualities of a good athlete?

Can an adult learner ever swim competitively?

Most unusual thing you have ever eaten?

Can you dance?

You are well known for your Ferrari-esque approach to weight.

How skinny is too skinny? I have only ever heard you twice tell people "you don't need to loose any more weight"

You are well known for your Ferrari-esque approach to weight.

How skinny is too skinny? I have only ever heard you twice tell people "you don't need to loose any more weight"

its very simple science Itu elite atheltes get taller and lighter ......they swim about the same cycle about the same and run faster
    so absolute not kern style. and i have never ever meassured skin faults...
    i have only an eye scale. I dodnt reall advise people to use a scale either.

generally for males its hard to say there is too light. again in an itu studdy it was suggested that some 20 % had some eating disorder ( take this with a grain of salt but its also not that easy ) . for females this is a very different issue and way more complex.

and many carrers have been destroyed by asking females to lose too much weight or wrong comments.

overall ( and i would read this very carefully as this is only a snipped ) as long as body is healthy there is no too light.

it lso daepends on many other things if you try to get to light and it takes too much mental energy it can get problematic.and 1 kg for the sake of frustration is hard to argue about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Did you keep a blog anywhere of your cycle(s) around the world?

If not, then do you mind answering questions here about them?

zico10 wrote: »
    Did you keep a blog anywhere of your cycle(s) around the world?

If not, then do you mind answering questions here about them?

I am not going to write a lot but if you have a question go ahead

I dont even have pics b
    i have then all in my brain :-0

I think my first bike holidays were at age of 10

the first solo trip when I was 14 in germany

first solo bike trip abroad was at 15en in the uk
    I guess I was one of the few people that moved to scotland on a bike over x mas when I was 19.

I always kept in simple and always broke the rule that says take half the luagges you think you need and take twice the money.
    and took twice the luaggage and half the money.but even more duct tape and cable binders than recommended.

Patagonia south Bolivia and the table mountain area in Venezuela the best I have done I guess.

the other questions from Akw and orxy i will reply tonight speciall Akw s ones made me think.

Agree with this if that is the case

tunny
    its very simple in my mind we can imporve pretty much everything if we really want it . its only about how much we really really want it . I wanted to learn english as it was absolutely crucial for me to travel and traveling was the most important thing in my live, so English i did learn it was not easy and i will never be perfect. but it is better than jose maurihinos so i dodnt think its really an issue for coaching ;-0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi Peter. :) I know absolutely nothing about you other than what I have read above, so I'll start with these very meager questions...

Is your real name Peter Kern?

I assume you are a triathlon coach - do you coach with a club, or on your own?

Do you coach all three disciplines yourself? Or do you collaborate with other coaches?

What is your sporting background, including accomplishments?

Have you ever fired an athlete? If so, why?

Do you prefer coaching men or women, and why?

Any tips for a quick T1 and T2?

How many bikes do you have? And do they have names?

Would you please pick the distance, then put together the best triathlon relay team of boardsies, and explain the why?

Do you have any tattoos? If so, of how many, of what, and where?

These will do for now. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Hi Peter,
    1. Have you ever trained an adult from non-swimmer to uber-fish?
    2. What do you think your ultimate IM time goal was/is? (assume sponsorship, money, time etc)
    3. You mentioned before you swam with a home-made tether in Australia- was this out of necessity? Do you still use tethered work in your training/coaching?
    4. What are your views on TI water temperature rules, in respect of the Irish climate?
    5. You seem to have done a lot of travelling- what made you stay in Ireland?
    6. Ever ran an IMRA race?
    7. What is the maximum annual spend a mid-pack hobbyist should spend on tri, in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SlowMe

What was (is?) your strongest discipline as an athlete?

What discipline do you feel most comfortable coaching?

If the answers above are different what are your comments on that fact?

Have you coached outside of Ireland? If so is there something about coaching here that is particularly interesting or different?

This forum has a lot of useful info and reference for us as athletes - how do you find it as a coach?

Ever tried to learn to speak a little Irish for the craic?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hi Peter. :) I know absolutely nothing about you other than what I have read above, so I'll start with these very meager questions...

Is your real name Peter Kern?
    yes it is

I assume you are a triathlon coach - do you coach with a club, or on your own?
    Most questions I get asked I never really thought about good question it a bit of a mix I am a triathlon coach first and formost , I am very strongly european and I dodnt believe in borders in our monday and wed swimsessions we tend to have people from 5-8 different clubs. I aslo do sessions for 2 clubs so, so in short it dosnt matter to me and it is really the first time i think about.

Do you coach all three disciplines yourself? Or do you collaborate with other coaches?
    I am a stong believer that a triathlon coach should coach all 3 disciplines its one sport in my mind. so I coach all three.

What is your sporting background, including accomplishments?

Happily, not many accomplishments, most really good coaches were not really good athletes. I did race a few races at pro level but nothing to write home really.

Have you ever fired an athlete? If so, why?

Do you prefer coaching men or women, and why?

I like to work with athletes that want to achieve personal bests
    that also answers the question above

Any tips for a quick T1 and T2?
    show me a your transition and i tell you what to improve.

How many bikes do you have? And do they have names?
    i have 2 bikes a steel frame concorde i got for 50 euro from fernado fuentes ( best deal ever) and a tt bike
    my real love however is mariposa ( butterfly) my touirng bike which should still hang around in germany that frame did some 180 000 k and was my car and travel vehicle many years and also my house for some 3.5 years . And dragonfly an old softride bike (still my favorite bike i ever rode ) made it into my inner circle. to deserve a name.

Would you please pick the distance, then put together the best triathlon relay team of boardsies, and explain the why?
    okane1 swim fazz bike huff n puff run very simple best swimmer best cyclist best runner ;-) as far as iam aware of
    female relay would be littlemisfrickle for swim bike run
    I would use them for any distance. if we have 12 weeks for prep.

Do you have any tattoos? If so, of how many, of what, and where?

no I dont have them

These will do for now. ;)

again in the blue box
    ps I realise I forgot lcd so I would give him half the bike and half the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

If not, then do you mind answering questions here about them
    I am not going to write a lot but if you have a question go ahead

Alright here goes;

What route did you take both times?

Were they planned before you left? Or did you just go wherever the road took you?

Did you ever end up in any dangerous situations along the way?

Any accidents/injuries along the way? If so, what did you do about them?

SlowMe wrote: »
    What was (is?) your strongest discipline as an athlete?
    balanced

What discipline do you feel most comfortable coaching?
    I probably enjoy swim coaching a bit more. one day i would love to coach a pole vaulter as I think this might be the ultimate coaching
    or discus as also v techniqual.

If the answers above are different what are your comments on that fact?

Have you coached outside of Ireland? If so is there something about coaching here that is particularly interesting or different?

the difference is that Irish people are very thight in shoulder but stronger in the core than on the continent

This forum has a lot of useful info and reference for us as athletes - how do you find it as a coach?
    in half pink
    can i quote savilero balisteros asked how he learend to play golf ?
    he said he looked at club players and did it totally different.
    so that is one side at the other side i look a lot at the sbr thread and see how training compares to race performances so indeed very valuable.

Ever tried to learn to speak a little Irish for the craic?
    no I do not
    personally i would think that for myself improving my french would be more valauble. A the same time I think its very important that the language should be kept alive its very important cultural heritage.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Hi Peter,
    1. Have you ever trained an adult from non-swimmer to uber-fish?
    an uber fish for me is somebody that swim sub 19 in oly and 47 in im so no i havent. but we have one guy that last year started in the slowes lane of his club and we should get him to 19.30 in 2 years.

2. What do you think your ultimate IM time goal was/is? (assume sponsorship, money, time etc) 49 swim 4.38 bike 2.58 run 8.29.30
    3. You mentioned before you swam with a home-made tether in Australia- was this out of necessity? yes i was cycling in the outback and sometimes found small pools.

i use elastics for all 3 dicipliens in coaching
    Do you still use tethered work in your training/coaching?
    4. What are your views on TI water temperature rules, in respect of the Irish climate?
    very clearly gloves and hut and go for it. have beginner races and options of run but you want to win the race you need to swim .
    at the same time I also do understand the race officials once you are on their side saftey comes first
    5. You seem to have done a lot of travelling- what made you stay in Ireland?
    the weather keeps me here ...
    6. Ever ran an IMRA race?
    once and i think i was 3rd
    7. What is the maximum annual spend a mid-pack hobbyist should spend on tri, in your opinion?
    i said this to a client last saturday if they drive a small car as much as they want. as its a way better investment than a big car.

• Advertisement

Alright here goes;

What route did you take both times?
    in south america i cycled santiago de chile to ushia a lot careterra austal than back more on argenian side to santiago
    up to bolivia a fwe round in boliva peru ecuador columbia venezuela brasil a bit back to columbia and then home from caracas.
    I planned 1 year stayed 2 ...

Were they planned before you left? Or did you just go wherever the road took you?
    the way is the goal. so no. I dodnt plan I never now where i sleep its mostly sunrise to sunset and where the sun sets I sleep
    so i often have loads of food on the bike ( once i weight the bike before going out to torres del paine park and it was 87 is kg ....so more food is my planning to be free. I stayed 13 days in the park one of my favorite places)

Did you ever end up in any dangerous situations along the way?

I saw what i believe was farc in the middle of the road in columbia
    i was lucky a lorry passed me so i just hang on to the lorry, not much time to think sometime after wa passed i saw the face of the lorry driver and it was white.
    that was it

Any accidents/injuries along the way? If so, what did you do about them?
    no nothing
    I do more alone than maybe one should do. (Iam ok if i dodnt have to talk to anybody for 2 weeks ) at the same time i am always cautious and I stop when i feel its better to stop . i had a goal to cycle up to 6000meter unfortunately the road was so bad that it took me way longer to reach 5650is meter than i hoped . SO i just walked up the rest to 6.150 and left the bike back as i did not want to take more risk than needed. still was fantastic stuff .
    and often i have turned around when my gut feeling tells me so.

sory for replying in the blue box just easier for me

if you know a good voice to text software iam all up for it . last time i looke it wasnt quite ready .

my reading is ok not the fastest but above averager reading comprehension. at the same time if there is a graph I do not really read the article only if the graph is really intersting .

when I was in scotland I had some briliant teachers so i liked school then

I did not know that. There would have been alot less Sutton-eqsue abuse had it been known. Always assumed it was a lack of attention to spelling and detail rather than a condition.

Did you consider voice to text technologies? May make your life easier.

Is it just writing or reading too that is affected? Apologies for my ignorance on the subject.

How did this affect your school years? You must have hated school?

Agree with this if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

sory for replying in the blue box just easier for me

Do it whatever way you want Peter, you were doing great.

The guy in the slow lane getting to 19:30 in 2 years. Hmmm interesting.
    How slow is the slow lane?
    Was he a beginner swimmer/adult learner or reacquainting with childhood swimming experience?

If A, then do you subscribe to the perspective that you either respond best to volume or intensity or is it an equal mix for all? What swim volume, assuming quality sets, will it take to get from adult beginner to sub20?

What swim toy could you not do without for progress?

AKW wrote: »
    Hi Peter, fair play stepping up to the challenge of the week. Sorry if you have addressed this in normal threads.

What do you think is the biggest development in coaching knowledge for triathlon training in the last decade?
    What differentiates you from other coaches? Your unique selling point that makes PB3 better than other coaches.
    What other coach do you admire the most?

AKW wrote: »

i dodnt really know that and never thought about it to be honestI will think aobut that more ... .

Again I will think aobut it but I would think it is the fact that many people realise that brett sutton the leeds boys and the d squad etc are the best because they spend the most time togheter . SO i think we realize that hard capable work is more important than anything else ( it takes huge sacrifice for coach and athelte but it works )

I am a difficuilt coach its hard for people to work with me.that could be the main difference... I tick differently to most people I am crazy in a way i am more like the crazy professor .
    I think every coach is different . My strenght is that I observe atheltes very well and I try to educate them to know whats best for them I am not a spoon feeder. some mistakes have to be made to people to understand something .

. I seriously struggle with people that look for a babysitter.or a guru .I need people that have a bit of self initiative and are not sheeps. I work very well with people that have an idea that it is actually not that hard ( yet so difficult )

I dodnt sugger coat and people know that what i say is what i think and most people appreciate that. for the first time when we work togheter i like them to listen only to me , after we have the basics. i like it if they look around and see for themselves.
    I am not sure whats my unique selling point maybe 13 nat champs titles which is more than any other tri coach in Ireland .

but I would like to say i am a anti bull**** coach that likes to keep it simple ( i have been in the bs when i was playing table tennis tought me a lesson )
    .I go a bit balisitc when i hear that people that are seriously train for triathlon do 60 min swim sessions ( you waste all the time going to a pool so at least 2 of them should be 90 min ) I believe in strong main sets 2.5 k for a main set is a good start ( sometimes shorter sometimes much longer longer )

I like to see the people i work with as often as possible (I coach 10 seessions a week I watch by seeing I dont really use a stop watch hr power ( i dodnt mind none of them ) but they are not my first reference point I feel it more ( and naturally like a power meter an hr etc that has disadvantages) but this is how i work and i try to look whats happening in side the person not just the numbers they produce.
    I am being told that i dodnt care aobut gear yet once i see you train heard i make sure you use a latex tube when you race .SO yes its true i dodnt care aobut gear for the people that dont trian . I think amy wolfe was the first Irish female that used a disc. I do understand my gear but again first we get the work done. when overweight people come to me and want to talk gear I mentally cry. as i know they havent understood what it is about ( at least in my mind ) But above all I challenge them that what their think is their limit is by far not the limit.
    I have still so many limits to be the coach I want to be, but I have the goal to get there one day

question aobut coaches

there is a coach in the phoenix park I see evert saturday he is 76 years old his is still so enthusiastic what does ( i hope my people don t notice that i watch him form time to time , I love how he interacts with people he makes them feel he cares and he has such a positive aura ) I hope to be like he is when i am 76.

I said something very similar about carol walsh.( she obvioulsy is half the age of 76 ;-)

I also like what eanna at base 2 race does and stepehn in limerick .

I think arthur lydiard was the coach most ahead of his time ever . so was sutton in triathlon. if it is power based training michael krueger would be class. there is the owner of tower 26 who i think is a class open water coach. and the ammount of hours darren smith works is i think 2nd to none biggest thirst for knowledge i could think of.

At the same time the marketing empire joe friel set up is amazing too

pep guardiola i think is an amazing coach ( joe filliol the equivalent in triathlon coaching) and what jupp heynckes did with bayern munich was class and I can not understadn how he could not win coach of the year for 2013 . fergusons lifework in mancherster is amazing too and kind of unmatched in coaching.

he started swimming in his clubs beginnerer lane 10 min plus for 400, he is now 5.45 in a 50 m pool . I need to get deeper inot that but adult learner and no swiming at all
    I have a female in the vet category ( you would not beleive if whe you see her that she is a vet . she could not swim a single meter october 2012 i am very confident we get her to sub 6.10 this year in a 50 m pool

talent is of course 1 thing the sheer will another thing volume is of course not low 15 k a week. but again i very very strongly believe a good triathlete needs to be in the game after the swim .

I think every stroke is a drill exercise in the first place if done with intend to become a better swimmer. but yes strong main sets and technique and also recovery sessions done in pool.

What swim toy could you not do without for progress?

for some a snorkel for some a band for some a metronome. for some my foot to give them a kick in the backside ...
    and for some rest ....

Do it whatever way you want Peter, you were doing great.

The guy in the slow lane getting to 19:30 in 2 years. Hmmm interesting.
    How slow is the slow lane?
    Was he a beginner swimmer/adult learner or reacquainting with childhood swimming experience?

If A, then do you subscribe to the perspective that you either respond best to volume or intensity or is it an equal mix for all? What swim volume, assuming quality sets, will it take to get from adult beginner to sub20?

Oryx wrote: »
    Hi Peter

As a coach do you think the stick, or the carrot approach works best? As in criticism vs encouragement?
    I think honesty works best , trial and error also v important ofent one does not know what works . its all so simple yet sometimes so complex

What has given you the biggest reward, your own achievements, or those of the athletes you coach?
    I have never achieved my goals so very little reward. whenver i can make a small change with ahtletes it is rewarding. people always want to hear about big success storries , but its the small storries of shaving of a sec here getting people that train that make the big storries and i love this.
    I had one lady do a 157 k bike ride last sat in ****ty weather. that made me very happy was her longest bike ride ever . she will rember this bike ride when she does her first Ironman and that will stand to her

What are the key qualities of a good coach? like there is no perfect athlete there is no perfect coach , so there is coaches with different strengh. but being able to motive is one being able to hold people back another one.
    I will expand on this later

What are the key qualities of a good athlete?
    as above the perfect athelte does not exist
    consitency consitency consitency , hard work focusing on themselves being open minded. high goals

Can an adult learner ever swim competitively?
    again it depends what is competeively. but we have seen dults learners to break 20 min for 1500.

Most unusual thing you have ever eaten?
    there is loads of stuff whenever I tralve i make sure to eat everything . the most curious for some reason was a fried mars bar

Can you dance?
    i was part of the genesis video i cant dance ...so iam a realy good bad dancer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Great answers Peter, thank you.

I've seen you in action so the crazy professor analogy is very apt and accurate :D

(In the nicest possible way! Think Doc Brown from Back to the Future)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Hey Peter

Enjoying so far, some great answers already ...

- With so many early morning swim coaching sessions going on for you at the moment (recent weather, it cant be easy) - whats a lie on for you ? 7am ? or similar ?
    - Favourite place to swim in Ireland / worldwide ... for fun ?
    - Favourite thing to do when not coaching / 'doing' sport ?
    - Money no object - dream bike / components ?

Mark

• Advertisement

ta
    interested wrote: »
    Hey Peter

Enjoying so far, some great answers already ...

- With so many early morning swim coaching sessions going on for you at the moment (recent weather, it cant be easy) - whats a lie on for you ? 7am ? or similar ?
    the more rain the better as in the pool I overheat,si i consider it a bit like a sauna. what most people dodnt realice it hardly ever rains from 5 - 6.30am a lie in for me depends very much every so often there is a day when i dodnt get up before 3pm, i often only sleep 5 hours and then catch up. Not good but thats the way i roll.

- Favourite place to swim in Ireland / worldwide ... for fun ?
    I have to say I love saepoint in dublin but there is also so many amazing beaches at the west coast its amazing. in the world the nicest place i trained was ningaloo reef in western australia.

- Favourite thing to do when not coaching / 'doing' sport ?

obviously travelling , and then there is the unknown side of me that is into art..

- Money no object - dream bike / components ?
    I would get the guys in new zealand that built sarah Ulmers bike. walser would do me too as wheel call disc most likely a leightweight disc and a zipp 808 in the front wheel contiental gp olympic version ( 300 euro a piece ) stock bike most likely speed concept 9 or possibly felt DI at the same time I like the classic titanflex and falcao and tjs new bike are very intersting having ridden a no beam bike I think its a good thing for ironman ( especaily when you ride harsh wheels )
    components I would not really mind but i guess sram red or even campy not Di2 really dont like it.

Mark

Advertisement