Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know.... kernkraft!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i would incorporate them more if more people had a background ( especially backstrocke ) the big problem is it totally messes up lanes
    and there is other stuff iam working on that i think is more of a priority for triathletes ie more prep for open water swimming.

i see many coaches doing very well with the only freestyle approach and i see many coaches doing very well with an all stroke approach so its not the biggest game changer in tri.

No offence taken at all, a 10:33 result does not match or reward work/effort put in but there are other circumstances as to why rather than blaming gadgets. I agree totally, results are the one and only measure. Athletes (myself included) can sometimes rely too much on numbers which can be counter productive. My question on gagdets was more coming from a coaching perspective rather than an athletes. What i mean by that is surely the more information a coach has on an athlete the more helpful it can be as long as the numbers do not completely rule or dictate training and act as an aid to improve performance. The question would need to be asked why so many top cycling coaches have switched to power based training? or why are all teams in the pro peleton now riding/training with power.
    There is no hiding place, but there are pitfalls on using it. As you say some that do and don't have equally fantastic results as coaches.

a short reply since i said i would
    so we have already esteblished that you can win olympic titles and hawaii with a power meter and with out one so there is no magic clue in triathlon its an accummumlation of many things that get results and what i dodnt like if people focus on one fad ( one day hr monitors the next day compresions sockes the next day powermeter and so on and so on ( i guess the biggest revolution in triathlon was the tri bar )
    anyway my reel beef with all this is that people focus on one thing and forget aobut the rest. so this is what i always try to say and i like to focus on the rest which is free. at the same time with the power2 max now at a reall good price range the money aspect has become much less of an factor.

yes you do see a lot form power meter files so you are certainly right in this point.

why do so many coaches switch ? accuracy = certainly the point
    and it is no doubt the most objective tool to see what you are really doing . and for a coach that cant see it with his eyes this is very important.
    And of course it gives athletes the feeling they are trained like the pros...
    there is a lot of atheltes i have recommended to get powermeter but there is also atheltes i would kick them out if they get a powermeter.
    and to be fair if i was to coach somebody like you i would take their powermeter away for 6 month. worked well for sebastian kienle when he stopped using his powermeter as he good to focused on it.

comparassion pro peloton with tri . how many triatheltes tumble turn . for swimmers it is indispensable for tri not really that important( it is good but not really a game changer) . powerprofile more complicated for pro cyclist and even more complicated for mtber.

there was a time when all elite atheltes thought vo2 testing was the dogs bo..ox that trend has passed and its back to a normal level that it is a useful tool but not the biggest problem if a coach dosnt use it . we had the same with Hr and that trend has passed away its now again a tool that is useful but not the biggest thing ever invented. I am reasonably sure the same will happen to the powermeter. ( and of course i can be wrong ) all tools do have benefits
    hope that helps a bit but i would bet your powermeter , that i get YOU (since you asked how it affect my coaching) faster without a powermeter as it certainly dosnt work for you. ( this is just based on what i know aobut you and could of course change if i was to see you training for 2 weeks )

zico10 wrote: »
    I walked into that one.

so the next guy is sorted ;-)
    and you can already prepare for the question how come a triathlete dosnt cycle ....? or why a runner swims so much ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

I heard that Eanna from Base2Race once told an athlete that they could be prepared to have "no life" for a year when joining the team...how seriously do you think an athlete with aspirations of winning National Series races and getting onto the podium in National Championships races needs to take the sport? i.e. what level of commitment is involved (following a plan to the letter, adopting a strict diet, eliminating alcohol etc.)

Based on talent alone (ignoring hard work etc. which are obviously important as well but not the issue here) who would you rate as the top 3 male athletes in the country at the moment?

yes that what it takes to win titles you need to work hard and be focused . you need to have the drive , and if cycling 5 k to a session is to far for one they wont get far as somebody will travel 60 km.

No life is another thing. it would depend on the character of the person some people perform better if they can be a bit more relaxed so i would not totally like the fact that you can t have no life ( but yes most dont)
    some pros perform better if they still have a day job or when they have kids to be a bit distracted. and many get crazy if they just focus on sport and some can only focus on the sport so it depends on the character of the person.

as for talent I think it is a talent to be able to work hard , and if s and buts dodnt count. you either win or you don't but you can't say I didn't win because of x .y and z

• Advertisement

handing over now to zico 10
    thank you guys it did not turn into argue with peter and more a the world according to peter ( and i am totally happy if people think it can be done in other ways in fact it is done in many other ways and what i say is often not what I do either ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    handing over now to zico 10
    thank you guys it did not turn into argue with peter and more a the world according to peter ( and i am totally happy if people think it can be done in other ways in fact it is done in many other ways and what i say is often not what I do either ;-)

That's why I stayed away and didn't read, let you had your little rants and spout what you wanted without comment :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_gnome

every german needs one of those often little angry, sometimes so sweet gnoms for the front lawn ... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Full of............

http://goo.gl/bzCOMd

Advertisement