Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sending a cheque to France

Options
  • 28-01-2014 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,
    I need to pay a deposit for a holiday house in France & the owner has asked for a cheque.

I normally send via electronic transfer for this type of thing, and I know that's the easiest way to do it, but she has asked for a cheque, so......

Can I use a normal cheque from my cheque book & are there any extra charges due to the fact it will be cashed in France (amount <€500). Also, she might look for the remainder by cheque in a few months, so can you let me know if charges are different for an amount circa €1000.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi Lector,

Thank you for contacting us on boards.ie.

The best way to send currency abroad is by electronic transfer, however if that is not possible you can send a draft for any amount greater than E500. You can order a draft in your account holding branch.

As the initial amount you need to send is less than E500, you can send a personal cheque. The person you are sending the cheque to will need to clarify with their own bank if they can lodge a personal cheque drawn from a foreign bank. They will also need to be mindful of the clearance time as this type of lodgement may take longer to clear than an electronic funds transfer or a draft. There is no charge from Bank of Ireland for sending a personal cheque abroad, however the French bank may apply their own charges when depositing the cheque.

We hope this helps, and have a great holiday.

Thanks,
    Elaine

Advertisement