Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savage arms mark 2

Options
  • 28-01-2014 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

Hey guys one of the lads is looking at trading in his cz 22 lr for a savage arms 22 lr. Thumb hole stock stainless barrel.

Lovely looking gun. But has anyone any reall life experience with it.
    I know a few lads have savage in center fire and are happy enough.

Any comments welcome guys. Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have used/shot one in .17hmr and they are a fantastic rifle.

The accuracy difference between them and the CZ is almost non existent. The Savage has good balance, and very firm grip with the thumbhole. The only real difference is new price between the Savage and CZ so after that its up to personal choice. As said i've used the .17 hmr and if you compare it to the CZ 455 in the same design/caliber well the Savage has the edge in terms of weight and balance.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I have the lefthand variant, I traded a RH BV model for it. The fit is perfect and comes up to the shoulder lovely. Mine has the 16" barrel and balance is just right. No plastic parts, magazines and trigger guards are metal. I get good groups with the exception of the odd flyer. RWS provides the best groups. I get the odd misfire too but I think thats down to wear on the firing pin.
    Overall a good package if I'm up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

That's not bad so far anyway guys. I have to say its a lovely rifle. And my buddy is mad for it.

I'm not sure what lenght his barrel is to be honest.

I think they come with 21" as standard.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I wouldn't be to concerned about the leghnt of the barrel on a 22 lr anyway. Unless he is planning on using a mod I suppose.
    Thanks cass and thanks lefthooker.

Does any one else have any more opinions on it.

• Advertisement

Even at 21" the rifle is perfectly balanced, and lighter than other brands of a similar barrel size/design.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ruger1894c

Cass wrote: »
    Even at 21" the rifle is perfectly balanced, and lighter than other brands of a similar barrel size/design.

Have one in 17hmr and its a tack driver..
    Its incredably well balanced even if your puttin a mod on..love mine and recommend one all day..
    Mags can be a bit fiddly but worth it for what ya get.

When you say fiddly lad what do you mean.

Can different size mags be got for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ruger1894c

When you say fiddly lad what do you mean.

Can different size mags be got for it.

There is a "guide" on the rifle where the mag slides up on it and sometimes its hard to get it in on the slide..and you have to push it in till you hear a click..otherwise it wont feed properly..

As to mag size i have 2 five shot mags for the 17 and ive seen a 7 shot so im sure you can get different sizes

Understood

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭skinnylizzy

I have a Savage MKII .22lr. It really is an amazing rifle for the money, very accurate from stock and it's easily mod-able too. I've a Boyds thumbhole stock, rifle basix trigger, di products piccatiny rail, bottom metal and trigger guard and it literally took 10 minutes to do all those mods. While the magazine release clip isn't ideal, by that I mean there are better designs out there but it's functional and I haven't had any problems with it. I have 5 and 10 shot magazines for mine too. Great rifle for the money, I highly recommend it and you might find it hard to find any genuinely and realistic bad reviews.

Cheers.

Advertisement