Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonsai tree seed germination.

• 28-01-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi all,

Recently bought a grow yourself Bonsai tree kit. I had to germinate the seeds my self, 6 weeks in the fridge and 4 weeks in the hot press. The seeds sprouted on the fourth week, five or six little shoots with two tiny leaves at the top, about 5MM tall.

Here's where I ran into problems, the instructions are translated from Chinese and appear more in the form on Haiku then of concise instructions!

I don't know if at that stage should I have relocated the saplings into the light, it was hard to tell from the instructions. A day later when watering them ( I was careful not to over water ) I noticed they were wilting. I moved them into work where they have a very bright window sill directly over a heater but despite this they all died.

Does anyone know where I went wrong?

Are these seeds completely useless now or can they be re-germinated?

Thanks!

9fzu.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If they're dead they're dead, I'm afraid. If your very lucky there might be one or two late germinaters in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

kylith wrote: »
    If they're dead they're dead, I'm afraid. If your very lucky there might be one or two late germinaters in there.

Tis what I feared! ah well new batch and try again it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think it was the 'directly over a heater' bit that probably killed them. Bonsai are usually outdoor trees, and while heat is good to get them started they do not need a lot of heat (or indeed any) once they have sprouted. As soon as you have a couple of trees germinated (grown the way yours were) take them out of the hot press and leave them on a windowsill where they will get plenty of light, so they do not grow spindly.

I would be inclined to put yours back in a slightly warm place (not above the heater) and leave them for a week or so, some more may germinate. If there is a plastic cover, cover them, otherwise put the whole pot into a plastic bag and tie the top. They should not need much watering. If anything shows, put the pot in a bright place ( I would tend to open the bag but not remove it, fold the top down a bit so it 'stands up' for a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

looksee wrote: »
    I think it was the 'directly over a heater' bit that probably killed them. Bonsai are usually outdoor trees, and while heat is good to get them started they do not need a lot of heat (or indeed any) once they have sprouted. As soon as you have a couple of trees germinated (grown the way yours were) take them out of the hot press and leave them on a windowsill where they will get plenty of light, so they do not grow spindly.

I would be inclined to put yours back in a slightly warm place (not above the heater) and leave them for a week or so, some more may germinate. If there is a plastic cover, cover them, otherwise put the whole pot into a plastic bag and tie the top. They should not need much watering. If anything shows, put the pot in a bright place ( I would tend to open the bag but not remove it, fold the top down a bit so it 'stands up' for a day or two.

Thanks for the info. Even if they don't sprout again that is good advice for the next batch! :)

Advertisement