Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to begin potty training

Options
  • 28-01-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

I know there's lots on the internet about potty training but just wanted to hear some tips that work from parents. My son is 2 years and 7 months and thinking of starting but don't know where to begin! Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Although I don't agree with her baby routines, Gina Ford's potty training book is good. I trained my son at 2 years and 5 months. I took a few days off work and spent the first day or two putting him on the potty regularly and pretty much keeping him confined to one room. Lots of praise and a sticker chart every time he went in the potty. We went straight into underpants. He got number ones within a few days. Number twos took about 3 or 4 weeks. Buy the cheapest pants you can find as you'll throw out a lot of pairs!

As soon as he got the hang of the potty I started getting him to go on the toilet with the extra seat. Eventually he graduated to going in the toilet proper. It takes time and a lot of patience but it's so worth it when it's done!

Advertisement