Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergen Free Recipes

Options
  • 28-01-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

My lovely GF has reaction to wheat, soy, milk and eggs so keeping a varied and interesting diet can be difficult but I think we do quite well. I'm sure there are other people in similar situations so I was going to post some of the recipes I try. Shes ok with nuts but I'll mark that clearly if I use them

I just tend to throw things together so the recipe structure might not be great

Last one was Sweet and Sour Chicken in batter.

Batter
    1 cup rice flour
    1/2 cup cornflour
    1.5 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon chilli powder
    Salt
    330ml wheat free beer
    4 minced garlic cloves

Mix together, leave stand for 2 hours
    [this made a bit too much but I didn't mind as dipping was easier than having too little]

Sauce
    1 onion chopped very finely
    150mls rice vinegar
    150mls orange juice
    Add ketchup until the vinegar is bareable(I find cooking really weakens the sour)
    1 tablespoon cornflour
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    We throw in peppers and broccoli too

Fry onions until soft
    Add the rest and simmer until it thickens a bit
    The cornflour gives it a creamy look and I find it goes a bit clearer when ready

Chicken
    I use 2 x large fillets for this amount

I chopped it into thin strips, dipped it into the batter and deep fried in small batches. Once the batter darkened, the chicken was done.

Once all the chicken was done, I stirred it into the sauce.

My OH loved it as did I :)

Delighted with the batter too as its the first batter that's worked well and the OH loves onion rings so I'll try it with that soon

Hope this will be of interest to people :)

Comments

Advertisement