Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inside No 9 Steve Pemberton & Reece Shearsmith on BBC2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,531 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Another good episode - David Warner had some funny lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,880 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just catching up on this now.. absolutely brilliant!

Am a big fan of Pemberton and Shearsmith but I honestly think the 12 Days Of Christine could be the best thing they've ever done.

Not just great comedy writers and actors, but damn fine storytellers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Another good episode - David Warner had some funny lines.

I was expecting the Mr Warren and Mr Clarke joke to tie in with a role played by said actor but nope I can't find any suggesting of old grumpy features having played a witchfinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I was expecting the Mr Warren and Mr Clarke joke to tie in with a role played by said actor but nope I can't find any suggesting of old grumpy features having played a witchfinder.

But he did play the devil in Time Bandits. :cool:

Warren Clarke died recently, maybe it was Pemberton and Shearsmiths tribute to him!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Whilst I usually prefer when there's dark comedy like in the first episode, the second really was excellent. Though I would be a fan of Sheridan Smith as well anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm surprised that this show still hasn't taken off with more people. It's a bit dark I suppose, but I think everyone enjoys a good twisty tale to sink their teeth into. I've spoken to people about season one, hoping that they'll eventually get sucker punched like I was when I watched The Harrowing last year. I kept waiting for the guilty belly laugh to arrive, instead I got pure pant soiling terror. Which was a great unexpected delight. The word "mischief" still makes me feel a bit loose in the bowels.

I found episode one of this season to be a bit of a let down. If you see the twist coming in the first three minutes, your enjoyment is slightly curtailed. But I did laugh, many a time.

Episode two was a the best so far for me. There was a cleverness in how the story was laid out and even if, in the end, the plot was familiarly bleak and slightly cruel, I definitely felt something that I most definitely hadn't anticipated- compassion. It was the first time I'd genuinely felt for the plight a person in one of the number nines. There may be a danger of declining standards if the programme goes on into the future, I do wonder how much mileage you can wring out of such an intentionally confined set-up, but I thought this episode showed they could still do the unexpected when trying to mess with your emotions.

Episode Three was a bit of a mixed bag- loved the period setting and the idea of a witch trial was great. David Warner, maybe it was because he was in the Omen, but whenever he appears on screen I can sense the imprint of the Quare Fella on things. Which is no bad thing in this context. Overall though I thought the twist was a bit pedestrian and although I'm as much a fan of dick jokes as the next man, it seemed like they really over egged the pudding, as it were, on that front here. More surprise, less knob talk.

So hit and miss so far this year, but great show overall. When it's bad, there's usually something worth commending and when it's good it's daring and one of the best things on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DaBlackMask

Great show loved the old league of gentlemen series,

Silent night in was the best in season 1

I wish I had such a twisted imagination.

Another great episode last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DaBlackMask

lol cold comfort was good,

12 days of christine was very sad, brillant story though

Heads up/reminder...

The last episode in the series is on tonight instead of tomorrow night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Heads up/reminder...

The last episode in the series is on tonight instead of tomorrow night :)

Love this show. Pity it is ending tonight. Hope it gets a new series

:eek: :eek:

Will Reece Shearsmith ever play a nice man in his own work? :)

For me, there were shades of BBC One's controversial 'Ghostwatch' in 1992 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I hope the lads down in Vikings extra casting realise that on a freezing nightshoot in Wicklow - pissing your pants combined with a naggin of cheap Scotch is called central heating.

Inside No.9 Christmas Special, tonight on BBC2 at 10pm.

THE DEVIL OF CHRISTMAS

Austria, Krampusnacht 1977. Who has been good and who has been bad this Christmas?

Also starring Jessica Raine and Rula Lenska.

:)

^ Looking forward to this..

.. and new series to follow next month AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Must take a look at this later. Was great show

• Advertisement

That was pretty good, pretty unique show, maybe a bit darker and less humourous than other episodes. "A quiet night in" was probably my favourite episode

Can anyone remember that film about a Russian studio making stuff films, the heroine is mute and chased about the place rather a lot. It was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Can anyone remember that film about a Russian studio making stuff films, the heroine is mute and chased about the place rather a lot. It was good.

Mute Witness.

Thank you - the clues were in my own post weren't they!? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Rest of season 3 is back February 21st and season 4 has been confirmed. Great news

New series begins this Tuesday, 10pm :)

Yep, just doing a rewatch. A Quiet Night In and The 12 Days of Christine are still as good as ever!

Worst about this series? Only 5 episodes from Tuesday as the Christmas Special was actually the first episode of the series! :(

Unearthly wrote: »
    Rest of season 3 is back February 21st and season 4 has been confirmed. Great news

Reminder. On tonight at 22.00 BBC2

heh, they have this down so pat now it's effortless. Nearly thought they'd blown the ending but naturally they hadn't.

• Advertisement

Pretty good, very tense.
    not sure about last scene, did I miss something, why was the guy being the waiter. Something happen the girl

Advertisement