Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM Dialer

Options
  • 28-01-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

I need to get a GSM dialer for an old phonewatch system. Is it just matter of calling an alarm installer and he fits one easily enough or are there specific dialers for specific systems? Phonewatch recommend a whole new system to be installed.

Here's the system.
    24266i0.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Just on to Phonewatch again and they said it's a "premier" system and can't take a gsm dialer. Are there alarm installers/engineers that work on phonewatch systems or is it just them selves?

So, any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Of course PW are going to say that, they are sales driven. Being honest with you, that is my first time seeing that panel. I noticed the conforms with IS 199 standard on it.
    A recent change in Insurance companies criteria is that the alarms should comply with EN50131, because basically that standard has better logging of events etc. So if your Insurance provider knows you have an alarm then that is the story.
    Any GSM dialler that I know of provides the necessary voltage for a digi dialler to function, but the telephone numbers as programmed in the panel may need to have the local area code of the monitoring station to which it is connected to changed, eg for PW that will become 01....... as their monitoring centre is in Dublin and the system is ringing them from a mobile source.
    So I think that a new system might be necessary but please do not assume that only PW provide monitored alarms.

Cheers for the reply. So you're saying that the alarm isn't up to scratch as far as the Insurance companies are concerned. Worth thinking about so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Effects wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply. So you're saying that the alarm isn't up to scratch as far as the Insurance companies are concerned. Worth thinking about so.

Well I am more technical rather than administrative, might be worth checking your own insurer's criteria. These guys look for excuses most of the time when a claim comes their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

You can use a gsm gateway with that system . It's one of phone watches first wireless alarms. If it's not causing you trouble then there's no point changing it .
    Il throw you a few quid for 1 or 2 of the old sensors if you do decide to go with a new install.
    I think the box above the panel is for the external bell .
    I think I've a manual for it .

Advertisement