Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street/Area with most unrealised potential

Options
  • 28-01-2014 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

I think the North Circular Road from Hanlons Corner to the Phoenix Park Gate is fantastic. It has many of the ingredients to be a really desirable area. Close to city centre, tree lined route to the Phoenix park which is on your doorstep, Hueston station and luas close, short hop to N4/N3 and M50 and really magnificent houses. I love the way the Wellington monument is centred in your view as you head down towards the gates.
    It's a shame to see so many of the houses dilapidated and abandoned. They would make such beautiful family homes. Hopefully there is some significant regeneration in the area soon.

Does anybody know anything of it's former glory?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Moomat wrote: »
    I think the North Circular Road from Hanlons Corner to the Phoenix Park Gate is fantastic. It has many of the ingredients to be a really desirable area. Close to city centre, tree lined route to the Phoenix park which is on your doorstep, Hueston station and luas close, short hop to N4/N3 and M50 and really magnificent houses. I love the way the Wellington monument is centred in your view as you head down towards the gates.
    It's a shame to see so many of the houses dilapidated and abandoned. They would make such beautiful family homes. Hopefully there is some significant regeneration in the area soon.

Does anybody know anything of it's former glory?

from someone who knows, there are a lot of people living in bedsits along that stretch who would be no stranger to a Garda station. O'Devaney gardens are right behind it as well. Have a walk around there in the morning and see what crawls out in the direction of their nearest methadone clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

O'Connell street. It should be Dublins premier street with its location, history and public transport links. Its got some fantastic architecture to boot.

Sadly, its an embarrassing disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

from someone who knows, there are a lot of people living in bedsits along that stretch who would be no stranger to a Garda station. O'Devaney gardens are right behind it as well. Have a walk around there in the morning and see what crawls out in the direction of their nearest methadone clinic.

I'm very familiar with it's current state, that's the point of my post, it's a shame. I'd love to see the regeneration of the flats and the DIT campus going ahead. The houses would make lovely family homes if the area had less undesireables around. There is a tipping point when more families move in that crime and anti social behavior becomes less tolerated.

O'Connell street. It should be Dublins premier street with its location, history and public transport links. Its got some fantastic architecture to boot.

Sadly, its an embarrassing disgrace.

I agree, really beautiful street. All traffic should be banned from it apart from public transport and even they should be rooted around it if possible. I know we don't get the weather but there has to be some use for that central pathway, market, food stalls, exhibitions etc...
    The crime problem should be addressed NYC zero tolerance style. Every capital will have a drug and crime problem but for it be allowed flourish in the heart of the city centre is shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Must agree about North Circular. Very hard to see why it isn't right. Rathmines had dodgy flats and plenty of undesirables but is a fabulous place.Plenty of real kips in London and New York have become trendy. Maybe it's a lack of Students and Grangegorman will solve it. Houses are fab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

D'Olier St... Westmoreland St.
    So many in the city itself that are just filthy and run down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Henrietta Street, could be an amazing street.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

I have to agree with the North Circular road. Everytime I pass it I think what a lovely looking area with the tree's and those fantastic red bricked houses. But then you see what comes of those places and it changes your view very quickly. I can't believe the amount of flags and bedsheets people use as curtains in that area

whiskeyman wrote: »
    D'Olier St... Westmoreland St.
    So many in the city itself that are just filthy and run down.
    It's only when you look above the shop fronts that you realise how magnificent those buildings are.

infosys wrote: »
    Henrietta Street, could be an amazing street.

It would be great to see all of Georgian Dublin returned to homes, be it houses or quality apartments sympathetic to the building. Streets like Henrietta St have so much character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Agree totally with that part of NCR. In theory it should be the Central Park West of Dublin. Instead it's a drug infested kip.

stevensi wrote: »
    I have to agree with the North Circular road. Everytime I pass it I think what a lovely looking area with the tree's and those fantastic red bricked houses. But then you see what comes of those places and it changes your view very quickly. I can't believe the amount of flags and bedsheets people use as curtains in that area

God knows what the beds are like if the sheets are on the windows, I'd say they'd make a run for it if they had a chance!

I'd imagine the area was considered luxury suburban livinig in it's prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

I've always thought that about the NCR too. The houses are mansions. You can see the former grandeur. Has to be said for a lot of the north city centre. Streets like North Great Charles Street, Lower Sherrard Street and Blessington Street to name but a few. North Great George's Street is a fine example of what could be achieved.
    Pisses me of that when the economy was good apartments were thrown up all over Dublin instead of renovating these houses into quality dwellings like in Edinburgh. Instead they are horrible bedsits or left to rot. :mad:

AsianDub wrote: »
    I've always thought that about the NCR too. The houses are mansions. You can see the former grandeur. Has to be said for a lot of the north city centre. Streets like North Great Charles Street, Lower Sherrard Street and Blessington Street to name but a few. North Great George's Street is a fine example of what could be achieved.
    Pisses me of that when the economy was good apartments were thrown up all over Dublin instead of renovating these houses into quality dwellings like in Edinburgh. Instead they are horrible bedsits or left to rot. :mad:

Was there some sort of regeneration programme in Edinburgh?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

AFAIK, what's left of O'Devaney Gardens is going to be flattened. I'm not sure where the residents are being moved to though. There's some other dodgy spots just in the vicinity though. Some of the finest houses look directly on to Drumalee estate at Hanlons Corner while McKee Park on nearby Blackhorse Avenue has a bit of a reputation as well.
    It's a disgrace how the houses have been let go so badly and agree that it would be great to see the area transformed into a proper residential street. What's needed is for families to buy these houses and turn them into family homes. It's a bit of a Catch 22 though, as I guess a lot of families would be put off by the amount of zombies living along there. At the very least, some of the larger houses could possibly be turned into high quality apartments (one per floor or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭LeBash

I live on the NCR and there is a huge amount of exageration here. The area could look amazing with a bit of work.

In my 11 years the only real trouble comes from a well known pub/club on the Phibsboro Road. Generally when there is GAA on.

The St Peters part is very quiet with the execption of 1 particular group of people that have been placed there by the hse in the last year. The Park end looks in a shocking state but its not a bad area. I walk the lenght of the road every night and have never been bothered.

It would be amazing to see the buildings restored and the path and roads get a little touch up.

mosi wrote: »
    Some of the finest houses look directly on to Drumalee estate

It's a disgrace how the houses have been let go so badly and agree that it would be great to see the area transformed into a proper residential street. What's needed is for families to buy these houses and turn them into family homes.

Those 3 storey houses overlooking Drumalee are something else, amazing value.http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=706215

I suppose if families move in eventually house prices go up and the current landlords have to weigh up whether it's better to rent out bedsits or make a profit selling the whole building. At the moment it would seem there's a much bigger gain in the bedsits.

LeBash wrote: »
    I live on the NCR and there is a huge amount of exageration here. The area could look amazing with a bit of work.

In my 11 years the only real trouble comes from a well known pub/club on the Phibsboro Road. Generally when there is GAA on.

The St Peters part is very quiet with the execption of 1 particular group of people that have been placed there by the hse in the last year. The Park end looks in a shocking state but its not a bad area. I walk the lenght of the road every night and have never been bothered.

It would be amazing to see the buildings restored and the path and roads get a little touch up.

I'm sure it's relatively safe, I do be up and down it on a regular basis too and never saw anything amiss. It's the use of the buildings and their appearance on the park end that drew my attention. There's so much potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's a lovely area alright. The Green Luas extension should enhance the area too, making it very accessible to the Stephens green area. There's a huge immigrant population in the area though. Not sure that's the type that are likely to make family homes out of those houses.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's a lovely area alright. The Green Luas extension should enhance the area too, making it very accessible to the Stephens green area. There's a huge immigrant population in the area though. Not sure that's the type that are likely to make family homes out of those houses.
    I think when areas undergo gentrification it can be seen as displacing local communities. In this case I'd imagine due to the nature of the buildings been bedsits that the dwellers are transient and there wouldn't be much displacement or pricing people out of the market.
    Maybe that's a wrong assumption by me but they're bedsits as long as I can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Thomas Street.

It's on a tourist line from Trinity College > Temple Bar > Christchurch/ St Patricks > Guinness > Kilmainham

It has the NCAD and is adjacent to the Digital Hub. In many ways it's a thriving area but unfortunately looks quite run down.

Edited to add Vicar St as another Thomas St destination. Plus the antique shops of Francis St.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Thomas Street.

It's on a tourist line from Trinity College > Temple Bar > Christchurch/ St Patricks > Guinness > Kilmainham

It has the NCAD and is adjacent to the Digital Hub. In many ways it's a thriving area but unfortunately looks quite run down.

Thomas St/James St is certainly prime for development. The digital hub have discreetly developed alot of buildings there. There seems to be much less drug addicts hanging around compared to 2 or 3 years ago.

They could have a great tourist cycling route if the had secure parking stations along that route Trinity College > Temple Bar > Christchurch/ St Patricks > Guinness > Kilmainham>Museum of Modern Art>Mermorial Park>Phoenix Park>National Museum>Jameson/Smithfield

They'd also need to physically separate the cycle path from traffic the way they have at the Grand Canal around Ballsbridge.

Was there some sort of regeneration programme in Edinburgh?

Not that I'm aware of but when visiting friends they live in nice apartments in houses in Old Town.

Not that I'm aware of but when visiting friends they live in nice apartments in houses in Old Town.

Didn't know about their designated Old Town. Just googled it there. Seems like they take great pride in it. Looks very well, developed and renovated sympathetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

It's not quite as great as is made out. As an Edinburgh resident you couldn't pay me to live in the Old Town, single glazed windows in very badly insulated buildings (due to their age) in Scotland....in winter....on top of hill with gusts rolling in off the North Sea, not that comfortable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Pearse Street is another bleak boring place with great potential.
    Trinity have mostly ruined the Western End and then there's no-man's land until the lovely Pearse Square.

It's not quite as great as is made out. As an Edinburgh resident you couldn't pay me to live in the Old Town, single glazed windows in very badly insulated buildings (due to their age) in Scotland....in winter....on top of hill with gusts rolling in off the North Sea, not that comfortable really.

I've never visited in the winter.
    As a resident, you would know better than I :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Some of the council flats locations in D2 is very underused. They'd be excellent places for young professionals to rent as apartments, or as Trinity student accomodation.

Tom Kelly Flats (Charlemont Street)
    Digges Street Flats (Wexford Street)
    Cuffee Street Flats (Wexford Street)

enda1 wrote: »
    Pearse Street is another bleak boring place with great potential.
    Trinity have mostly ruined the Western End and then there's no-man's land until the lovely Pearse Square.

Why do you see Trinity as ruining Pearse St? My family is from Pearse St and I went to school in Westland Row and can't rember anything except wasteland where they have developed.

Pearse Square is a little hidden gem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Why do you see Trinity as ruining Pearse St? My family is from Pearse St and I went to school in Westland Row and can't rember anything except wasteland where they have developed.

Pearse Square is a little hidden gem!

I mean the way the buildings along Pearse Street that TCD occupies are just façades to an inwards facing site. It's a pity they don't serve a purpose to the street itself

Advertisement