Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street/Area with most unrealised potential

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

enda1 wrote: »
    I mean the way the buildings along Pearse Street that TCD occupies are just façades to an inwards facing site. It's a pity they don't serve a purpose to the street itself

Do you mean between the bridge and the garda station?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Yes

enda1 wrote: »
    Yes

I forgot about them mostly because they are forgetable! I thought you were referring to the new buildings close to Westland Row. Combined with the development happening on the Ringsend end it will hopefully someday include all of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Tom Kelly Flats (Charlemont Street)

I think these are currently being torn down

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

whiskeyman wrote: »

I think you're right, there are some photos here: http://comeheretome.com/2014/01/23/the-beginning-of-the-end-for-charlemont-street-flats-part-ii/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Rathmines had dodgy flats and plenty of undesirables but is a fabulous place..

Rathmines.....fabulous.....really??

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Moomat wrote: »
    I think the North Circular Road from Hanlons Corner to the Phoenix Park Gate is fantastic. It has many of the ingredients to be a really desirable area. Close to city centre, tree lined route to the Phoenix park which is on your doorstep, Hueston station and luas close, short hop to N4/N3 and M50 and really magnificent houses. I love the way the Wellington monument is centred in your view as you head down towards the gates.
    It's a shame to see so many of the houses dilapidated and abandoned. They would make such beautiful family homes. Hopefully there is some significant regeneration in the area soon.

Does anybody know anything of it's former glory?

Thanks for pointing this area out, OP. I'm up and down this stretch of road regularly, I haven't encountered any anti-social behaviour, but it is a shame that a once great residential area is in a such a bad state today.

A lot of the buildings are obviously divided into flats and bedsits, but I remember seeing a few nicely decorated houses at Christmas that looked like they were being used as family homes.

I've seen one or two houses recently with the "Sold" sign up and with renovations happening, so that's encouraging. Maybe gradually over time, the area can be improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

As well as Thomas Street, the area around Christchurch and Clanbrassil street up to St. Patricks Cathedral is a pretty drab dual carriageway for the most part, when it could be so much more.

The area around Tara Street, Hawkins street and Townsend st. is also pretty grim - plenty of horrible office blocks and empty sites, and despite being located right next to one of the cities busiest train stations, with 10's of thousands of people walking by every day, there is almost no streetlife or reason to hang around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Well it's done my wife for 60 years me for 40 brought up 4 kids. great schools good parks great amenities vibrant what's it's
    problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Thomas St/James St is certainly prime for development. The digital hub have discreetly developed alot of buildings there. There seems to be much less drug addicts hanging around compared to 2 or 3 years ago.

They could have a great tourist cycling route if the had secure parking stations along that route Trinity College > Temple Bar > Christchurch/ St Patricks > Guinness > Kilmainham>Museum of Modern Art>Mermorial Park>Phoenix Park>National Museum>Jameson/Smithfield

They'd also need to physically separate the cycle path from traffic the way they have at the Grand Canal around Ballsbridge.

I really wish something was done with the Iveagh Market on Francis Street. It's a fantastic building that could be turned into something like the English Market in Cork.

• Advertisement

Moss Street, Gloucester Street South and City Quay in general is a pretty rundown area with potential. Also around Britain Quay where the U2 Tower has been put on hold is a wasted space at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

AsianDub wrote: »
    Moss Street, Gloucester Street South and City Quay in general is a pretty rundown area with potential.

That must be one of the best sites in Dublin for an office development. I can't see it staying vacant for long as the economy picks up.

ronnie3585 wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LME0vzb_dlQ

Rathmines one of the five best places to live in Ireland according to the Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Aldborough House on Portland Row was probably the last great Georgian mansion to be built in Dublin, but it has been allowed to fall into a terrible condition in recent years.

Flimbos wrote: »
    Aldborough House on Portland Row was probably the last great Georgian mansion to be built in Dublin, but it has been allowed to fall into a terrible condition in recent years.

I often wondered about that building, it's amazing. What a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I think the North Circular Road from Hanlons Corner to the Phoenix Park Gate is fantastic. It has many of the ingredients to be a really desirable area. Close to city centre, tree lined route to the Phoenix park which is on your doorstep, Hueston station and luas close, short hop to N4/N3 and M50 and really magnificent houses. I love the way the Wellington monument is centred in your view as you head down towards the gates.
    ?

O' Devaney Gardens is right behind it? :pac:

I remember seeing a few nicely decorated houses at Christmas that looked like they were being used as family homes.

I've seen one or two houses recently with the "Sold" sign up and with renovations happening, so that's encouraging. Maybe gradually over time, the area can be improved.

Close to the junction at Drumalee there seems to be a couple occupied as family home.

There was lots of activity there with houses for sale last year, especially close to the park gate. I hope they do something nice rather then tiny bedsits. I noticed in Inchicore there were a few houses that were bought containing bedsits, stripped out, renovated and returned to family home. They now look fantastic.

anncoates wrote: »
    O' Devaney Gardens is right behind it? :pac:

It is but I'd hope in the next few years that some transformation of that area will happen. It's unlikely to remain a waste land forever considering it's location and future demand for housing.

AsianDub wrote: »
    Moss Street, Gloucester Street South and City Quay in general is a pretty rundown area with potential. Also around Britain Quay where the U2 Tower has been put on hold is a wasted space at the moment.
    The Silicone Docks effect might work it's way down there eventually!

I often wondered about that building, it's amazing. What a disgrace.

An absolute disgrace. Used to pass it all the time years ago and each year it got worse.
    The front door at one stage was wide open along with the top windows with rain getting in. Glad to see it's somewhat more secure now but it's still in an awful state. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

my vote goes to suir road stop down to black horse on the canal.

Baron waste land with potential site for couple of hundred houses in an ideal location with a chance to gentrify drimnagh but instead, will probably be a mental hospital for the hse.

entire town could be put on the site, going from the old flats down to the blinds factory but it is going to be wasted. such potential. served by 3 luas stops (suir road, goldenbridge, drimnagh, blackhorse). easily accessible to M50, N11, N4, N7. etc... Its an artery of the city ffs.

This site, this patch of land is what regeneration projects dream of.

lolosaur wrote: »

Baron waste land with potential site for couple of hundred houses in an ideal location with a chance to gentrify drimnagh but instead, will probably be a mental hospital for the hse.

entire town could be put on the site, going from the old flats down to the blinds factory but it is going to be wasted. such potential. served by 3 luas stops (suir road, goldenbridge, drimnagh, blackhorse). easily accessible to M50, N11, N4, N7. etc... Its an artery of the city ffs.

Didn't know that patch had been sold. The proposed dart underground stop will be a few mins walk away aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

Didn't know that patch had been sold. The proposed dart underground stop will be a few mins walk away aswell.

Dart stop?

unfamiliar. please fill me in?

place could probably do with an aldi or a lidl too. there are only 15 in close proximity to drimnagh which is too few imho.

Dart stop?

unfamiliar. please fill me in?

place could probably do with an aldi or a lidl too. there are only 15 in close proximity to drimnagh which is too few imho.

Going to be a few entrances, including behind Oblates Church.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/dartunderground

We need a turf war between the Germans and Musgraves! try to get the ratio down to 10/1, population/stores!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

whiskeyman wrote: »
    miamee wrote: »

Only the two derlict blocks are being torn down, the other four/five are staying for the time being apparently as the development agreement has fallen through

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Another one along Sean McDermott Street.

http://goo.gl/maps/dX4Jt
    This once fine building, a Protestant Church in the Greek revival style, dates from the 1850s, and was designed by a Scottish architect called Ferguson. Today, all that is left of the structure is a lonely facade, with the remainder of the building having been destroyed by fire in the 1980s

Absolutely and nobody ever mentions it I am sure it is State owned

HSE going to put in some sort of central facilities unit ambulances etc. not likely to lead to great architure

Advertisement