Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplace intimidation

Options
  • 28-01-2014 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Ok guys having a bit of trouble. I work lets just as a mechanic in I area of maintenance and we have about 30 mechanics. A couple of years ago I had a run in with a guy I work with through know fault of my own and he started a fight with me and through Afew slaps. So ever since then our relationship has being non existent my peers new about it and tried to keep us apart but every time I passed him or seen him he's made smart comments or really made me feel like he was about to jump me.
    So over the past number of months it's got worse and he's being commenting on my private life on Facebook about my kids ect. He now says to people who even say hi to me " what you saying hi to that for". It's at the point where I hate being around him I hate my job and all that.
    Today was the last straw so do I go into the boss today or what or how do I approach it. I know if I say it to my boss and they say it to him he will make a run for me. I'm not afraid of him really in that regard but I hate fighting.

Any help guys need some advice soon
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

"So over the past number of months it's got worse and he's being commenting on my private life on Facebook about my kids ect."

"I'm not afraid of him really in that regard but I hate fighting."

He's bullying you. I know the Mods won't like this but you may have to get phyiscal to put an end to this. It may be that he sees you as an easy target and as soon as you step up to plate he'll back down. May be best to do this when no one else is around so he doesn't loose face and have to follow through on his treaths.

If you havn't tries to resolve on your own I'd try before getting your boss involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

TheBlock wrote: »
    "So over the past number of months it's got worse and he's being commenting on my private life on Facebook about my kids ect."

"I'm not afraid of him really in that regard but I hate fighting."

He's bullying you. I know the Mods won't like this but you may have to get phyiscal to put an end to this. It may be that he sees you as an easy target and as soon as you step up to plate he'll back down. May be best to do this when no one else is around so he doesn't loose face and have to follow through on his treaths.

If you havn't tries to resolve on your own I'd try before getting your boss involved.

Good advice except I hate fighting and he's 3 times my size and very on aprochable

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Of course you go into your boss. Should have been in there the first time that he said anything about your family.

If your boss has half of a brain, he'll make it impossible for theguy to get you back without losing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

Thanks guys for your help. Just hope he doesn't turn nasty after this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

burke027 wrote: »
    Thanks guys for your help. Just hope he doesn't turn nasty after this

He already is nasty. Report him. If he retaliates in a physical manner, contact the police. Tell your boss of your concerns that he might turn physical and that if he does you will report the guy to the police.  If your employer has any sense they will want to avoid being involved in a police matter or taken to task for not acting appropriately so they should deal with it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Definitely talk to your boss and explain the situation. Perhaps a word from the boss to this guy might cop him on and resolve it. If it doesn't then things can go to the next stage..... Making an official complaint etc.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

You should also block him on Facebook, so he can't see your posts and you can't see his. Make sure your own privacy setting are 'friends only' .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Your situation is very uncomfortable but not unique. You certainly should not continue to ignore this bullying behaviour. You need to think through the situation, plan to handle it in an assertive rather than aggressive manner, practice your response and then act (and also have a backup plan, e.g. if this behaviour doesn’t stop, you want to have it resolved in front of the boss).

Remember, most bullies are cowards at heart and you need to stand up to them if you want the bullying to stop. These situations are never easy to deal with but, thankfully, in this country there is plenty of backup, if you do a little research (on Google or otherwise) or have a chat with HR or a friend / colleague you feel you can trust.

Here are some links that you might find helpful:
    http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2013/01/24/5-steps-for-handling-a-workplace-bully
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/promoting-empathy-your-teen/201303/how-respond-verbal-bullying
    http://ie.reachout.com/inform-yourself/bullying-and-personal-safety/bullying-at-work/

Advertisement