Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil Fired Combi Boiler Installation

• 28-01-2014 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I'm replacing my oil fired combi boiler as its about 12 yrs old, im also having a number of additional rads installed in the house along with refurbishing three bathrooms.

The two plumbers ive had look at the job seem to be against going for another combi and advised me to go for a conventional system. It seems to me that its spending more money than i need to (additional plumbing of a cylinder and cold water storage etc) as combi's are widely used in the UK.

We would be using it for the central heating, its a three bed dethatched bunglow 1200sq m, and for two showers and a bath.

Does anybody have an oil fired combi system, what are your opinions of it? would you go for a conventional system if you had the chance?

I know water pressure and quality can be an issue, we are on a private well and I will have the water tested again before I make up my mind

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

rs mivec wrote: »
    I'm replacing my oil fired combi boiler as its about 12 yrs old, im also having a number of additional rads installed in the house along with refurbishing three bathrooms.

The two plumbers ive had look at the job seem to be against going for another combi and advised me to go for a conventional system. It seems to me that its spending more money than i need to (additional plumbing of a cylinder and cold water storage etc) as combi's are widely used in the UK.

We would be using it for the central heating, its a three bed dethatched bunglow 1200sq m, and for two showers and a bath.

Does anybody have an oil fired combi system, what are your opinions of it? would you go for a conventional system if you had the chance?

I know water pressure and quality can be an issue, we are on a private well and I will have the water tested again before I make up my mind

I would agree with the plumbers, would not be a lover of combi boilers.
    Pro: hot water on demand
    Con: at a price

It might be worth considering a solar cylinder and boiler. You can then add solar for hot water or an air to water heat pump which will do both at a later date when the funds allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rs mivec

Froststop wrote: »
    I would agree with the plumbers, would not be a lover of combi boilers.
    Pro: hot water on demand
    Con: at a price

It might be worth considering a solar cylinder and boiler. You can then add solar for hot water or an air to water heat pump which will do both at a later date when the funds allow.

When you say price as a con do you mean the installation cost or running?

My plumber has suggusted a solar compatible rapid recovery cylinder to do just that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

When you say price as a con do you mean the installation cost or running?

Running cost to heat hot water only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

the combis are fine but it will definately struggle with the 3 bathrooms..
    the hot water demand will be the issue thats why there saying they dont want to.
    id look at the likes of the ariston nuos or coolwex cylinder

rightjob! wrote: »
    the combis are fine but it will definately struggle with the 3 bathrooms..
    the hot water demand will be the issue thats why there saying they dont want to.
    id look at the likes of the ariston nuos or coolwex cylinder

Are the combi's just not up the job when it comes to hot water then? No matter what size or model I go with...

Ill have a look those cylinders, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Nothing wrong with combi's, in fact they are excellent & very effecient at providing your hot water needs. The only downside with running 3 bathrooms at the same time would be a struggle but how often will they all be used at the same time. You get to learn it's limitations & adapt accordingly.

Grant do an excellent combi, Vortex range. You will find it on their website.
    Many plumbers run from oil combi's but mostly due to lack of knowledge of them.

Give Grant a call on 057-912 0089 & speak to Keith or Barry in their technical department. They will go through your best options & if a combi is not suitable, they will also advise you so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Are the combi's just not up the job when it comes to hot water then? No matter what size or model I go with...

Ill have a look those cylinders, cheers

they do work fine on the hot water,depends if you have a fleet of kids in the 3 bathrooms all drawing off hotwater at the same time.
    as shane said a phone call to grant will set you on the right road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

The OP's number of kids & household members has most likely not changed dramatically since their decision to upgrade their existing oil combi boiler. I would also presume that due to their eagerness to replace their existing combi with a new combi, that they are content with its function & ability to satisfy their family needs. A condensing shiney new boiler will only enhance that love for combi's. The addition of extra bathrooms may have an affect only if they are used at the same time & a slight adjustment to lifestyle maybe required.

rightjob! wrote: »
    they do work fine on the hot water,depends if you have a fleet of kids in the 3 bathrooms all drawing off hotwater at the same time.
    as shane said a phone call to grant will set you on the right road

No fleet of kids but we do plan on increasing the number of people in the house over the next ten yrs.. Ill give grant a call this morning
    shane0007 wrote: »
    The OP's number of kids & household members has most likely not changed dramatically since their decision to upgrade their existing oil combi boiler. I would also presume that due to their eagerness to replace their existing combi with a new combi, that they are content with its function & ability to satisfy their family needs. A condensing shiney new boiler will only enhance that love for combi's. The addition of extra bathrooms may have an affect only if they are used at the same time & a slight adjustment to lifestyle maybe required.

I should have made it clear that we(2 of us) are only in the house 1 year and are currently using an electric shower, the current combi heats the rads perfectly but we only use it for hot water at the sinks in the bathrooms so theres no great demand on it.

It provides warm water but not hot enough to have a comfortable bath or shower.

So with a new larger free standing bath and a pumped shower(we are retaining the electric shower as a back up) there will be an increase in demaned from our new combi if we go down that road.

I cant see them all running at the same time and as you said Shane im sure we would quickly learn its capabilities and ajust to suit but would having a conventional system be more future proof and ajust to us rather then the other way around...

Advertisement