Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Vista Opening Browser Windows Randomly

Options
  • 28-01-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭

I was given a friends windows vista laptop to "clean up" over the weekend and I am running into difficulty with a particular annoyance. When you start up the laptop, at times it decides to start opening browser windows multiple times (as many as 72 one time). I don't know whats causing it.

Things I have tried:

Disabling most of the processes from startup
    CC Cleaner
    Anti-Malware Scan
    Microsoft Security Eessentials scan
    Advanced System Care scan
    Uninstalled many programmes that weren't needed.

Problem still exists. Even when you exit all the browser windows. I moved the laptop, the screen refreshed and it started opening numerous times.

This happens with IE or Chrome as default browsers. No website opens up, just blank pages like the Google homepage.

1. Any further suggestions before I wipe the drive & reinstall Vista?

2. If I download a copy of Vista and install it fresh on the hard drive, should the license key underneath the laptop work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Is there a button on the keyboard that opens a browser?

If so, the button might be stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You'd get a better answer Here

What Malware scanner did you use ?
    Did you update the scanner before scan ?
    MSE isn't really up to scratch for Virus scanning, so Check the AV sticky in the Virus & Malware forum, and install, upgrade defs & scan with your chosen scanner.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I'll check that. It doesn't make much sense though. It usually happens when the laptop isn't connected to a power source from my testing anyway.

I think the best stage would be to reinstall Vista but need it to be legitamite as obviously it's not mine.

uch wrote: »
    You'd get a better answer Here

What Malware scanner did you use ?
    Did you update the scanner before scan ?
    MSE isn't really up to scratch for Virus scanning, so Check the AV sticky in the Virus & Malware forum, and install, upgrade defs & scan with your chosen scanner.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Updated it before scanning & it did find something which it then quarantined but the issue still persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Aodhagan wrote: »
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Updated it before scanning & it did find something which it then quarantined but the issue still persists.

Try something like Avira or the like, something with a Rootkit scanner, as I said MSE isn't a good option for AV

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

sounds a though you have a 'browser hijacker', Hitman Pro (free version), will remove it.

Thanks I will try those suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Create an AVG boot disk and run a virus scan from outside Windows. Boot into the CD/USB and it'll give you a GUI and an option to run a full scan. It often picks up infections that dont show up in Windows.

http://www.avg.com/ie-en/avg-rescue-cd

Advertisement