Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental Leave question

Options
  • 28-01-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Last March legislation changed Parental Leave entitlement from 14 - 18 weeks per child.
    Can anyone advise if you are entitled to claim for effectively backdated weeks that you would have not yet used, i.e. 4 weeks per child?
    I am currently on a parental leave agreement with my employer. I have already used up the 14 weeks (70 days) of my first child and am approaching the end of the 14 weeks (70 days) of my second. Both these were agreed and signed off before this legislation came into affect, so can I now apply for 8 further weeks based on 4 weeks owed on either child? Both children are still below the age of 8.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

I had the same query a while back and, yes, you can apply for the extra four weeks per child once your child is under the age limit for taking parental leave.
    Obviously, as it's a new application, it is entirely at the discretion of your employer to agree to how the days are taken. You can't assume the same agreement that you currently have. But you are definitely entitled to those extra 4weeks per child alright.

Good luck 😊

Advertisement