Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to VST baskets

• 28-01-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭

While looking for a non pressurised basket for a gaggia classic I came across VST baskets which are supposed to "improve" extraction. I was having a problem tracking down a double and triple non pressurised baskets and the cost of 2 vst baskets, a slightly larger tamper, a bottomless portafilter plus all those separate postage costs was coming close to the cost of the espresso machine.

I found IMS baskets, which are being compared to the VST for £12 each on a group buy on coffeeforums, anyone use them?

Im stuck on the tamper, either a £29 make by knock 58.35mm flat or a bit of a splurge on a Torr Convex 58.4mm. Anyone have and use a convex tamper?

The bottomless/naked portafilter is another matter, they cost from £30 to £80 are they all equal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Vexorg wrote: »
    While looking for a non pressurised basket for a gaggia classic I came across VST baskets which are supposed to "improve" extraction. I was having a problem tracking down a double and triple non pressurised baskets and the cost of 2 vst baskets, a slightly larger tamper, a bottomless portafilter plus all those separate postage costs was coming close to the cost of the espresso machine.

I found IMS baskets, which are being compared to the VST for £12 each on a group buy on coffeeforums, anyone use them?

Im stuck on the tamper, either a £29 make by knock 58.35mm flat or a bit of a splurge on a Torr Convex 58.4mm. Anyone have and use a convex tamper?

The bottomless/naked portafilter is another matter, they cost from £30 to £80 are they all equal?

Have a convex Torr myself and love it. Very forgiving and nicely balanced.
    As for the naked PF, if you know the right person you can have them make one from an old PF. I bought a generic commercial one before and it didn't feel right when locked in, but its also possible that I'm paranoid 😁:D

As for the VST's I've no experience with the IMF's but I did have a VST and after a while I went back to the normal basket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Hi Doodee

Thanks for that, I may invest in a Torr.

I did wonder about the vst baskets, is it just snake oil, do you need a very refined palate to tell any difference between baskets, perhaps a blind test would tell.

I will have a look at converting existing portafilter after I do the opv mod and when I figure out the metric equivalent of the imperial sizing of the various parts listed on UK and US forum, tracking down a liquid filled pressure gauge that reads over 6 bar is also proving difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Vexorg wrote: »
    Hi Doodee

Thanks for that, I may invest in a Torr.

I did wonder about the vst baskets, is it just snake oil, do you need a very refined palate to tell any difference between baskets, perhaps a blind test would tell.

I will have a look at converting existing portafilter after I do the opv mod and when I figure out the metric equivalent of the imperial sizing of the various parts listed on UK and US forum, tracking down a liquid filled pressure gauge that reads over 6 bar is also proving difficult.

I have one on the desk in front of me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭Vexorg

If its a pressure gauge, I ordered one today - doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭James_R

• Advertisement
Advertisement