Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need answers Please, Ballybofey exchange

Options
  • 28-01-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Eircom, I have question for you,
    I live in Glenview Ballybofey, and I am wondering when our lines are going to be activated for fibre? I know that most of the twin towns are active already, I can fully understand why they activated Stranorlar first due to all the major schools being located there, but for the life of me I cannot think why they activated the outskirts of Ballybofey before the town itself, The whole main street of Ballybofey up to the upper part of the Donegal road and out the Glennfin road is not active yet,
    Charles Bonner engineering is approximately 400 yards from where I live and they can get it, They have a cabinet nearby so I presume that is active, I am not aware of any other cabinets close to us.

It would be nice to even have a date of when this area will be enabled,

Thanks Eircom hope you can shed some light on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

netfreak wrote: »
    I live in Glenview Ballybofey, and I am wondering when our lines are going to be activated for fibre? I know that most of the twin towns are active already, I can fully understand why they activated Stranorlar first due to all the major schools being located there, but for the life of me I cannot think why they activated the outskirts of Ballybofey before the town itself, The whole main street of Ballybofey up to the upper part of the Donegal road and out the Glennfin road is not active yet,
    Charles Bonner engineering is approximately 400 yards from where I live and they can get it, They have a cabinet nearby so I presume that is active, I am not aware of any other cabinets close to us.

Hi netfreak

I'll look in to this further for you, can you confirm if you are inquiring about Glanview park Ballybofeyor Glenview Lismonaghan?

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 12 netfreak

Hi netfreak

I'll look in to this further for you, can you confirm if you are inquiring about Glanview park Ballybofeyor Glenview Lismonaghan?

Thanks

Al
    Hi, Its Glenview park Ballybofey.

EDIT

I have just checked a line further out the Glenfinn road mentioned above and it passed,

So what does this tell us?, It tells us that you have targeted all of the residential areas of the twin towns and left the minority to last, That includes all the big businesses on the main street, I was sure I read somewhere that the minister for communication prioritized businesses over all else when rolling out these services.

I can appreciate that it is good business for Eircom to sell to the majority to bring in some ready's, but halve the people I know in these areas are quite happy with what they have got, And if offered it, would probably turn it down, and besides without the businesses why would there be a need for residential any way.

The very least you could have done is contact the people in these areas, and let them know,
    "Dear costumer as you know we have been rolling out E-fiber in your area over the previews months, due to the economic turn down we are forced to enable your area last as the vast majority of costumers do not live within the boundary's of the town center, We expect to go live in your area on or around the --/--/---- thank you for your patients" .

I am pretty sure this would not have cost a fortune, And I cant speak for everyone in the town, but this would have certainly boosted my confidence in Eircom as a company

Regards

Hi netfreak

Thanks

Al
    Hi, Its Glenview park Ballybofey.

EDIT

I have just checked a line further out the Glenfinn road mentioned above and it passed,

So what does this tell us?, It tells us that you have targeted all of the residential areas of the twin towns and left the minority to last, That includes all the big businesses on the main street, I was sure I read somewhere that the minister for communication prioritized businesses over all else when rolling out these services.

I can appreciate that it is good business for Eircom to sell to the majority to bring in some ready's, but halve the people I know in these areas are quite happy with what they have got, And if offered it, would probably turn it down, and besides without the businesses why would there be a need for residential any way.

The very least you could have done is contact the people in these areas, and let them know,
    "Dear costumer as you know we have been rolling out E-fiber in your area over the previews months, due to the economic turn down we are forced to enable your area last as the vast majority of costumers do not live within the boundary's of the town center, We expect to go live in your area on or around the  --/--/---- thank you for your patients" .

I am pretty sure this would not have cost a fortune, And I cant speak for everyone in the town, but this would have certainly boosted my confidence in Eircom as a company

Regards

Hi netfreak

I can understand why you would feel disappointed by this and I wish I could offer you better news. Upon further investigation the efibre operational team has also informed me that the cabinet service Glenview park has not been upgraded and at present there are no scheduled plans for this.

I have asked operations if they could give me an indication however they have advised me that this would be purely speculative and the best advice I could offer you is to check back with me in July when hopefully there will be an update to this.

I'm afraid I'm unable to discuss or offer reasons behind eircoms operational and network decisions but I will certainly pass your feedback to operations.

Thanks

Al

Hi Alan,
    There are not any cabinets in the main town that I am aware of, the Exchange for Ballybofey is approx 700 meters from Glenview park,

And is 1.6 Km from one of the biggest active estates in the town, Blue Cedars.

This would not annoy me so much if we were getting what we paid for,  a 24Mb line, but only 13 at best.

If anybody reading this wants to see just how ridiculous this looks and sounds check out Google maps for the bellow names,

Active areas
     Stranorlar town, completely understandable due to the Schools being located there, In my opinion they should always be first,

The Beeches,
    Lawnsdale,
    The Supervalue area,
    Glenfin road after Glenside stores,
    Blue Cedars,
    Upper Donegal road after TSA Tyres.

The Locale exchange is located at the center of main street behind the Balor Theater next to the river Finn.

I am not going to say anymore about this, nor waste to much energy on it, we have TD's for that.

Regards

Hi again Alan, it is now the 1st of July, Td's where around as usual, did not do much however so I stayed home on voting day, I was speaking to a KN engineer and he thought that this whole area was enabled, but does recall not installing any systems in this area since the town went live, he is also not aware of any cabinets in the area but thought that a cabinet installed in or near the exchange should work just fine.

Hope your head engineer has some better news for us,

Regards.

• Advertisement

Hi again Alan, it is now the 1st of July, Td's where around as usual, did not do much however so I stayed home on voting day, I was speaking to a KN engineer and he thought that this whole area was enabled, but does recall not installing any systems in this area since the town went live, he is also not aware of any cabinets in the area but thought that a cabinet installed in or near the exchange should work just fine.

Hope your head engineer has some better news for us,

Regards.
    Hi netfreak

There are still no plans to bring efibre to Glenview park.  [font=Calibri","sans-serif]The availability of efibre is based on the rollout of fibre cabinets, which is very different to regular broadband where it's available upon exchange upgrade. I can assure you that installing a cabinet near an exchanged will not work just fine - it's completely different infrastructure Im unaware of what you were advised but I can confrim it makes no sense. Sorry I can't offer you better news netfreak.

Thanks
    Al[/font]

Hi Al, so what you are telling me is that the fibre cable enters the town from various directions and bypasses the exchange entirely, hmm.

Ok Al I will change my original question, when will fibre be enabled for the town of Ballybofey?

I am not allowed to post a bitmap here, so if i could email you, i could show you what it looks like, the whole main town is not enabled yet.

Regards.

Hi Al, so what you are telling me is that the fibre cable enters the town from various directions and bypasses the exchange entirely, hmm.

Ok Al I will change my original question, when will fibre be enabled for the town of Ballybofey?

I am not allowed to post a bitmap here, so if i could email you, i could show you what it looks like, the whole main town is not enabled yet.

Regards.
    Hi netfreak

I will be unable to offer you better news - there are no plans to bring efibre to Glenview park. Please view my initial replies again - I did not even suggest that efibre by passes the exchange. I am confirming that efibre is based on the installation of a VDSL (fibre) cabinets which service specific locations served by the exchange - the cabinets are connected to the exchange by a fibre line. Unfortunately Glenview park has no VDSL cabinet nor is there a cabinet planned at this stage.

Al

Thats the thing, i don't think Glenview park has a cabinet anywhere, not even the old ones, hence the reason i think we are directly connected to the exchange.

Regards.

Thats the thing, i don't think Glenview park has a cabinet anywhere, not even the old ones, hence the reason i think we are directly connected to the exchange.

Regards.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi netfreak

I've been chasing this up for you and I have been advised by efibre planning that Regulations presently don’t allow for high speed broadband to be delivered straight from exchanges, however a solution is in the works and hopes are that once approved we will be able to deploy by the end of the year. This is as much detail I could obtain.

Thanks
    Al[/font]

• Advertisement

Thanks Al, there might be light at the end of the tunnel then, I am sorry Al if i have been a little blunt in previous posts, I could really avail of this service, I run 2 web-servers and various other devices from my home, most months we use well in excess of 300gb in bandwidth, the increased upload speed would greatly enhance my web-servers, my hands are pretty much tied with what i have got.

Thanks
    netfreak

Thanks Al, there might be light at the end of the tunnel then, I am sorry Al if i have been a little blunt in previous posts, I could really avail of this service, I run 2 web-servers and various other devices from my home, most months we use well in excess of 300gb in bandwidth, the increased upload speed would greatly enhance my web-servers, my hands are pretty much tied with what i have got.

Thanks
    netfreak

No worries netfreak

I can understand your urgency in that case - Hopefully it won't be too long before I have good news for you.

Al

Hi Al, any news on this yet, I got a great big leaflet from Eircom offering me Efibre yesterday through the post, there really rubbing it in now, Lol ,

Kind Regards.

Hi Al, any news on this yet, I got a great big leaflet from Eircom offering me Efibre yesterday through the post, there really rubbing it in now, Lol ,

Kind Regards.

Hi netfreak

There are still no plans to bring a VDSL (fibre) cabinet to you area and I can confrim that the situation regarding lines directly connected to the exchange has not yet changed although I have had contact with efibre operations who have confirmed that we should be able to offer more news on a solution of directly connected lines towards the end of 2014.

I understand how important this is to you and I'm sorry I can't offer you better news on this yet Netfreak.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement