Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Crowdfunding Webistes

Options
  • 28-01-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Seems to be a few of these "popping" up every week online, like the deals sites

Are these sites in anyway regulated or can any Joe set one up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lego101

I'd say anyone can make one, but getting people on it funding wouldn't be easy! Iv seen Irish sites with about 4 real projects on it, and the rest are just samples :P not much interest in looking for new sites when theres already two massive sites doing everything just fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

There is currently no legislation that specifically deals with Crowdfunding. And thus they are not regulated by the central bank in the way that a say bank or a lending institution would be.

It would be very easy for them to fall into a regulated area. For example giving investment advice unless you hold the appropriate license is illegal.

So it is a very grey area and I would expect a EU directive to be issued regarding them as most people agree that they fulfill a certain role that is not being adequately served by banks and other providers of finance and are a good thing.

Dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭maps and atlas

lego101 wrote: »
    I'd say anyone can make one, but getting people on it funding wouldn't be easy! Iv seen Irish sites with about 4 real projects on it, and the rest are just samples :P not much interest in looking for new sites when theres already two massive sites doing everything just fine!

The biggest and most reputable one in Ireland that I know is LinkedFinance.

LinkedFinance operate a policy where only a small number of companies pitch for loans at any one time (maybe in a weekly period) but they must have financed close to 100 companies by now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The biggest and most reputable one in Ireland that I know is LinkedFinance.

LinkedFinance operate a policy where only a small number of companies pitch for loans at any one time (maybe in a weekly period) but they must have financed close to 100 companies by now.

I got the impression LF was more crowdlending than crowd funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Graham wrote: »
    I got the impression LF was more crowdlending than crowd funding.

Apologies, my topic was mean to say crowd lending and the regulation on that, not crowd funding like donations.

I had a look at LF and it seems you bid your money to a borrower, ie €500 @ 8% interest, can a website "lend" cash to individuals?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Buttercake wrote: »
    can a website "lend" cash to individuals?

I think they're lending to companies rather than individuals.

Advertisement