Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PACKING LIST

Options
  • 28-01-2014 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

Just thought I throw this out see if you guys differ.

I've been trying my best to buy as much lightweight gear as possible and also to cut down on bulk.

So what I have so far.
    SLEEPING SYSTEM
    EXPED SYN MATT UL7,
    PRODGEY DOWN QUILT.(enlightenment)
    BLOW UP PILLOW PACKS VERY SMALL.
    SILK LINER.
    TENT IS 2 MAN MOUNTAIN HARDWARE SPEAR GT2 GREAT TENT BUT 3KG.

Cooking is simple as I can't cook
    Just heat up stuff /tin soup/ beans/ loads tea/coffee
    Small gas stove works great 2 pots all
    fit inside one another.

Usual wet gear and change of clothes.
    All this fits inside my rear Ortlieb Classic Panniers.
    Did I say I don't hike I cycle
    Tour, but I guess the packing is not that much different and we all do basically the same thing.:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

OP I've edited your post-
    Please don't type in all capitals, it makes posts difficult to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

sorry about that my grandaughter was messing with keyboard took me a while to figure out how to fix it useless on these computers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Yea not a bad list. If it works for you then its perfect. I like my space so believe it or not i bring a 4 man tent. Its a rage 4 man bodo with living area and sleeping area. I can compress it down to 6 inches diamater by 12 inches. Its a bit on the heavy side but not bad.
    Spare change of clothes. Under layer for cold nights. And wet gear.
    Sleeping bag plus bivvy bag and extra sleeping bag again for cold nights.
    Food ration packs each for 24 hours. Three meals drinks and snacks. Very light and compact.
    Sleeping mat on outside of rucksack.
    Heavy duty army smock camo for wildlife photography. Comes in handy and its wind and water resistant.
    Hats and gloves.
    Camera gear. Telephoto lens and tripod.
    Cooking gear. Campingaz stove plus extra gas bottle. Army mess tins for eating and cooking in. Eating untnsil set. Water bottle and tabs for purification.
    And a book for some entertainment.

All the above i can pack into my new lowe alpine 65 lt kibo. Including my tent and tripod on the exterior. I just take my time and find every free space and put stuff in the gaps. I also keep the heavy stuff where it should be so not to affect my center of gravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

PRODGEY DOWN QUILT.
    Why a quilt instead of a sleeping bag? Also, how is the "EXPED SYN MATT UL7" over lumpy bits of grass? Use an airbed myself which is a lot higher, but less risk of grass bump.

Also, consider a windy torch, or a shakey torch. Basicly a torch that needs no batteries, but which works on kinetic energy.

Lumpy grass syndrome can be fixed by using spruce or pine branches under your tent ground sheet or if your bedding down under a tarp make a rasied bed again with pine branches under your mat works great as a matress and insulates you.

• Advertisement

I Havent tried any of my gear as yet all spanking new:rolleyes:
    the reason for the Quilt i'm a very restless sleeper get up a dozen time during the night must remember to take sleeping pills before getting head down.but yeah i did have the alpkit pipedream 400 i used it as a quilt only time i ever zipped it up when i nearly froze to death in the mourn mountains .
    the new syn matt looks the buisness i reckon it will be fine on uneven ground,as for lights i have severl all work great.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I like the Ray Mear's generalisation:

Something to carry your outfit in.
    Smoothing to sleep under.
    Something to sleep in.
    Something to sleep on.
    Navigational equipment.
    Something to cook over.
    Something to cook in.
    Something to carry water.
    A mug.
    Eating utensils.
    Food.
    Medical kit.
    Illuminated at night.
    Wash kit.
    Odds and ends to make life comfortable - 'possibles'
    Clothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    Yea not a bad list. If it works for you then its perfect. I like my space so believe it or not i bring a 4 man tent. Its a rage 4 man bodo with living area and sleeping area. I can compress it down to 6 inches diamater by 12 inches. Its a bit on the heavy side but not bad.
    Spare change of clothes. Under layer for cold nights. And wet gear.
    Sleeping bag plus bivvy bag and extra sleeping bag again for cold nights.
    Food ration packs each for 24 hours. Three meals drinks and snacks. Very light and compact.
    Sleeping mat on outside of rucksack.

Holy moley that tent is 8KG! :eek: Plus two sleeping bags and a bivvy bag.

That's a lot of weight to carry. Do you hike out to your spots or are you near enough to transport? :)

Set up the tent in your backgarden for two reasons; if it's ripped, you can get it repaired, or replaced by the shop. If it leaks, same as. If it's missing any parts, same as.

If you put it up first time up a mountain and it's missing a pole, or a few pegs, you'll kick yourself for not doing so.

Also, some tents are a pain in the hole to put up, and you'll want an idea where everything goes, before put one up in low light.
    the reason for the Quilt i'm a very restless sleeper get up a dozen time during the night must remember to take sleeping pills before getting head down.but yeah i did have the alpkit pipedream 400 i used it as a quilt only time i ever zipped it up when i nearly froze to death in the mourn mountains .
    The sleeping bag traps body heat, and keeps you warm. If you're a restless sleeper, does the quilt ever get knocked off your bed? If so, consider the sleeping bag. If not, have the sleeping bag under you with up to the knees zipped up, and the quilt over you. This will keep your feet warm, and help give you a better sleep.

Sleeping tablets + no sleeping bag in possible minus conditions = bad idea.
    the new syn matt looks the buisness i reckon it will be fine on uneven ground,as for lights i have severl all work great.
    That's grand then. Just once you realise that coldness saps batteries, so depending on batteries when camping in a cold place like Ireland is not always the best idea.

=-=

Also, invest in a spork. They're awesome for camping. Some have a knife bit in the handle; less washing up. Bring 3 in case you lose one, though.

Will you be camping where there may be firewood? Look into a Kelly Kettle if so; meant to be great for boiling water even if windy. Would have loved one 10/15 years ago when I was in the Ventures!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I lifted this from the Bushcraft Club thread in Outdoor Pursuits, regarding gear to pack.
    Tabnabs wrote: »

Also, there's a similar thread regarding what people pack in the Outdoor Pursuits forum.

• Advertisement

syco yeah sorry should have said my tent got plenty of use rest of sleeping gear is new only because i sold off my totyal kit last year,out of work needed the bucks.

i did have the exped down matt 7 great matt super comfy but bulky this time round i decided to keep thinks tight so bought gear that packs small.
    the quilt has a foot pocket can be closed near enough all the way up looks to be a good quilt cost me 250 euro so it had better be good.

Holy moley that tent is 8KG! :eek: Plus two sleeping bags and a bivvy bag.

That's a lot of weight to carry. Do you hike out to your spots or are you near enough to transport? :)

Yea i hike in to my spots mostly. Last time i went hiking i weighed myself before putting my pack on and after i was 3.5 stone heavier. I hiked 15 km intomy camp site

fair play to ya a hell of a way to travel with such weight,but if you want comfort thats the price i suppose.

Thats it. And its a great workout.

i did have the exped down matt 7 great matt super comfy but bulky this time round i decided to keep thinks tight so bought gear that packs small.
    Get a smaller sleeping bag? Mine is about 2 foot by 1 foot when in the round sleeping bags' bag. Also, get a one hole balaclava if you have a shaved head (or not much hair), as it'll allow you not to have your head covered by the sleeping bag (more head freedom).

A sleep mask (for the eyes) may be a good investment if you're a light sleeper, so the sun doesn't wake you at silly o'clock. Also allows you to go back to sleep, if you the sun does wake you up (if you don't wear it going to bed). Allowed me a few sleep in's at a metal festival a few years back.

And yes, I probably do look odd with the balaclava and sleep mask on, but those that awoke before me didn't have a good nights sleep :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the_syco wrote: »

A sleep mask (for the eyes) may be a good investment if you're a light sleeper, so the sun doesn't wake you at silly o'clock. Also allows you to go back to sleep, if you the sun does wake you up (if you don't wear it going to bed). Allowed me a few sleep in's at a metal festival a few years back.

And yes, I probably do look odd with the balaclava and sleep mask on, but those that awoke before me didn't have a good nights sleep :P

never thought of s sleep mask but good idea, In the same vein though on my last trip out I brought ear plugs for the first time and had the best nights sleep. Wind or rain can be quite noisy in a tent.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Take a look at these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BRITISH-ARMY-SOFTIE-JACKET-REVERSIBLE-THERMAL-HIKING-LIGHTWEIGHT-SURPLUS-/321275389127?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&var=&hash=item4acd8164c7
    and these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Original-British-Army-Softie-Trousers-Thermal-Reversible-Large-Cold-Weather-/331110545923?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4d17b9fa03
    I use them as a sleeping bag/suit mostly ideal if you need a hit and miss during the night plus if your not set up at camp and the weather gets cold quick they are fast to put on over your gear until you get a fire lighting

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Take a look at these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BRITISH-ARMY-SOFTIE-JACKET-REVERSIBLE-THERMAL-HIKING-LIGHTWEIGHT-SURPLUS-/321275389127?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&var=&hash=item4acd8164c7
    and these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Original-British-Army-Softie-Trousers-Thermal-Reversible-Large-Cold-Weather-/331110545923?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4d17b9fa03
    I use them as a sleeping bag/suit mostly ideal if you need a hit and miss during the night plus if your not set up at camp and the weather gets cold quick they are fast to put on over your gear until you get a fire lighting
    yeah i seen that jacket on a utube looks the buisness cant believe the price.thanks for the link.

HERE'S a great piece of kit for those cold nights in a tent.
    http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/category-56/XA107.html

next few bob i have i will certainly buy it:cool:

HERE'S a great piece of kit for those cold nights in a tent.
    http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/category-56/XA107.html

next few bob i have i will certainly buy it:cool:
    Your basic Emergency Blanket will do the same thing for a lot less cash http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-SILVER-FOIL-BLANKET-EMERGENCY-SURVIVAL-FIRST-AID-Rescue-Space-Foil-Thermal-/201042482609?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Medical_Supplies_Disposables_ET&hash=item2ecf10d5b1 Or if you want something with more quality id recommend the Adventure Medical ones like this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Adventure-Medical-Kits-SOL-Heatsheets-Emergency-Survival-Blanket-1-2-Person-/291050121028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c3f06744 or if you want a really strong one these are good too http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Rothco-9069-Olive-Drab-GI-Aluminized-60-x-84-Survival-Casualty-Blanket-/251447895678?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8b76667e Personally for weight and space I use the Adventure Medical ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I used to carry a couple of Space Blankets with me (or whatever they are called) but I don't anymore because I'm not sure that they can do what they say that they can do.

Can anyone confirm that they have used one of these yokes and that they can definitely keep you warm?

I used to carry a couple of Space Blankets with me (or whatever they are called) but I don't anymore because I'm not sure that they can do what they say that they can do.

Can anyone confirm that they have used one of these yokes and that they can definitely keep you warm?
    I used the basic ones found them ok for warmth but very noisy thats when i switched to the Adventure Medical ones they are bigger supposed to be for 2 people but really only one their quieter and because of the extra size keep you warmer Double it over if using it as a reflector for the camp fire and dont get too close

I used the basic ones found them ok for warmth but very noisy thats when i switched to the Adventure Medical ones they are bigger supposed to be for 2 people but really only one their quieter and because of the extra size keep you warmer Double it over if using it as a reflector for the camp fire and dont get too close
    did you buy the medical blanket off ebay .how much does it weigh and does it pack small.
    sorry for all the questions.:)

did you buy the medical blanket off ebay .how much does it weigh and does it pack small.
    sorry for all the questions.:)
    I bought it on eBay you can get them cheaper than the link I posted also you can get them in a bivvy bag. The size is small when folded about the size of a cigarette box as for weight never weighed it. But your talking grams

fantastic thanks for that,btw i bought stuff from backpackinglight before great service but postage is expensive.thanks for the link.

bought any new gear lately lads.
    me well i have my new bike almost sorted for touring and a few overnighters ,try out all this new gear i bought.it will be another month or so before i'm ready so if anyone in the drogheda area fancies the odd cycle tour overnighter give me a buzz.good to hook up with someone instead of talking to meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I would use packet soup rather than tinned soup, less weight and mess to carry home

I'd bring some high fat foods for filling and warmth, so cheese, butter, nuts, oil etc.
    Consider about a 35mm film canister amount of fat, or a larger amount of nuts.

consider angel hair pasta, or cous cus or bulgar wheat, which cooks in boiling water, rather than having to cook it.

bring a mixture of ( your own taste-- you mightn't like garlic or chilli)
    salt, pepper, herbs, garlic, chilli, msg,

I'd usually say bring plenty of tea/coffee, but if you don't sleep well, herbal tea or chocolate might be better.

Dry socks/footwear
    bring these to change in the evening, and put the damp/wet ones on in the morning-- once you start moving, these'll warm up and be grand. cosy dry socks are a fine simple luxury, and small and light.

To each their own re sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

went for a 2 day trip a few weeks ago, my kit was

tent- vango banshee 300
    sleeping mat
    sleeping bag

a solid fuel camping stove and fuel
    two camping pots
    for fire i had a fire steel, a lighter cotton balls and Vaseline
    food, apples, cous cos, chorizo, some cooked chicken and biscuits
    milk and water

1st aid kit