Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Ebay type startup. ....

Options
  • 28-01-2014 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Been looking at the possibility of a small ebay type startup and Ive done a lot of research on it. However one thing that Ive really noticed is the margins on the products I intend to sell, a lot of places online are selling for maybe a couple of cents more or even cheaper than the wholesale prices ive gotten.

Are they really that tight at the moment?

By the way I was looking at computer accessories ie usb sticks, sd cards etc

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

To be honest it sounds like you are trying to compete with competitors who are buying at your wholsaler's cost pricing direct from manufacturers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

phishcakes wrote: »
    Been looking at the possibility of a small ebay type startup and Ive done a lot of research on it. However one thing that Ive really noticed is the margins on the products I intend to sell, a lot of places online are selling for maybe a couple of cents more or even cheaper than the wholesale prices ive gotten.

Are they really that tight at the moment?

Cheers!

The days of buying off a wholesaler and selling on Ebay are probably gone. You can be sure most of the people on Ebay are buying direct off factories in China and buying in large volumes, paying in advance so no credit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are you comparing like for like? Brand names, read & write speeds, and the class of said devices ensure prices differ hugely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Cheers!

In this area you'll be competing against Chinese sellers buying directly from manufacturers and shipping for free. There'll be little incentive for your customers to buy from you when then can get much cheaper.

Most people (myself included) don't mind the few weeks wait if it means I'll save a few quid.

You'll also have stiff competition from other online shops, like Play.com and Mymemory.

It's a saturated market, even Tesco are selling those products

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

you've got to make your site unique. Maybe come up with some idea that is different to the sites that already exist. One way might be to set up a subscription of some sort. Charging maybe €2 for 3 months or something and letting the people who pay the subscription get cheaper products. This would also keep people coming back because they paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

the_syco wrote: »
    Are you comparing like for like? Brand names, read & write speeds, and the class of said devices ensure prices differ hugely.

Yes ive been very careful

It's a saturated market, even Tesco are selling those products

Tesco are a rip though

Thanks for the replies folks.

Another area ive been looking at closely is cosmetics. As we all know make up is like drugs to a lot of girls, my partner and her sisters, friends etc consistently spend a fortune on make up especially MAC. But again I think it looks quite tight.

Cheers again for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Another area ive been looking at closely is cosmetics. As we all know make up is like drugs to a lot of girls, my partner and her sisters, friends etc consistently spend a fortune on make up especially MAC. But again I think it looks quite tight.
    Like electronics, you won't know if you're paying for shyte until you receive it. I say this, as it's your company that gets hurt if you end up selling cheap knock-offs (esp if you bought them for the full price).

Advertisement