Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Charges

Options
  • 28-01-2014 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I've been with BoI for 15 years - I have all my loan, mortgage, savings and current accounts with you. But the charges are too high. I am seriously considering going to PTS and would like you to give me a few reasons as to why I should stay. 
    Really appreciate your help. 

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Hi karlitob,[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Thank you for contacting us on Boards,[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Please see below some of the benefits and features available to our customers.[/font]

·        [font=Arial", "sans-serif]Access to over 250 branches and 1,500 ATMs nationwide.[/font]

·        [font=Arial", "sans-serif]Over 2,000 qualified Financial Advisors across the country.[/font]

·        [font=Arial", "sans-serif]365Online and Mobile Banking App, for iPhone and Android users, giving you access to checking your account both at home and on the go.[/font]

·        [font=Arial", "sans-serif]Online payments to accounts at home and abroad.[/font]

·        [font=Arial", "sans-serif]Pay to mobile service - allows our mobile banking app customer transfer money to any registered Bank of Ireland account simply by knowing the mobile number of the account holder.[/font]

·        [font=Arial", "sans-serif]eStatements - a choice of receiving statements in paper form or by pdf via 365Online.[/font]

·        [font=Arial", "sans-serif]Our recently revamped website with a new Help Centre where you can find answers to your most frequently asked questions.[/font]

·        [font=Arial", "sans-serif]Numerous customer service channels, phone, email and social media presence.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]We also provide mortgages, savings solutions, insurance services, current accounts, loans and investment services to over 1.3 million people around the country. We continue to work on improvements to our service offering and currently have a number of new initiatives in the pipeline.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]We hope the above features encourage you to continue to bank with us.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]If we can assist with anything else please do not hesitate to contact us.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Paula C[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Gonzp

I have to say that I am also seriously considering leaving also... Its getting ridiculous the amount of charges I am recieving at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Hi karlitob,

Thank you for contacting us on Boards,

Please see below some of the benefits and features available to our customers.

·        Access to over 250 branches and 1,500 ATMs nationwide.

·        Over 2,000 qualified Financial Advisors across the country.

·        365Online and Mobile Banking App, for iPhone and Android users, giving you access to checking your account both at home and on the go.

·        Online payments to accounts at home and abroad.

·        Pay to mobile service - allows our mobile banking app customer transfer money to any registered Bank of Ireland account simply by knowing the mobile number of the account holder.

·        eStatements - a choice of receiving statements in paper form or by pdf via 365Online.

·        Our recently revamped website with a new Help Centre where you can find answers to your most frequently asked questions.

·        Numerous customer service channels, phone, email and social media presence.

We also provide mortgages, savings solutions, insurance services, current accounts, loans and investment services to over 1.3 million people around the country. We continue to work on improvements to our service offering and currently have a number of new initiatives in the pipeline.

We hope the above features encourage you to continue to bank with us.

If we can assist with anything else please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Paula C
    Thanks for the Copy & Paste Paula C. 

Looks like I'm going to Permanent TSB. 

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

ye i'm in the same boat,been with them all me life and its turns me stomach when i see these mad charges on me statement,time for a change i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

karlitob wrote: »
    Thanks for the Copy & Paste Paula C. 

Looks like I'm going to Permanent TSB. 

Have to agree the fees have gotten ridiculous. I must sort out moving everything over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi all.

We appreciate all feedback we receive and have forwarded these comments to the relevant department.

Karlitob, we can assure you that this was not a copy and paste reply. We were asked a question like this recently and as the answer has not changed, it would receive a very similar response. You also have the facility on Boards.ie to find help fast, where you can ask a question or enter a search term which will bring up a list of all relevant or similar threads. This means you could get the answer to your question without having to wait for a reply from a representative here.

If we can help with anything else in the future, please let us know.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Hi all.

We appreciate all feedback we receive and have forwarded these comments to the relevant department.

Karlitob, we can assure you that this was not a copy and paste reply. We were asked a question like this recently and as the answer has not changed, it would receive a very similar response. You also have the facility on Boards.ie to find help fast, where you can ask a question or enter a search term which will bring up a list of all relevant or similar threads. This means you could get the answer to your question without having to wait for a reply from a representative here.

If we can help with anything else in the future, please let us know.
    Laura
    @ Laura:
    No thanks - you've explained how boards.ie works very clearly for me. I was silly to think you might find some way/some reason to try and keep a very loyal, but lowly, customer. 

@qwerty
    Yeah, its the nervousness about moving that gets me. I've been with them for so long. It used to be that you had to be with your bank for a while, then when you speak with the manager about loans there was a relationship there etc etc but that day is gone. And Bank of Ireland has always been very good to me in both customer service and efficiency. Now there is argument on boards.ie/askaboutmoney.com (ah, I did figure it myself) that if they don't charge in one place then it adds up in another such as overdraft charges but I don't have those issues. I just use it for simple banking. So why not move to Permanent TSB. I asked if they had plans to introduce charges, now they said they couldn't guarantee they wouldn't but 'they didn't have any plans to'.

All in all, its an amazing process:  
    - My wages get paid into the bank (I have no way to get my wages otherwise)
    - I need an account that charges me for that pleasure
    - I have a government that taxes my on having an ATM card to access my money
    - my utilities really just want us to use direct debit (as do I because its easier - although they accept cash at Post Offices, but surely that day is gone)
    And for all that I pay for the pleasure of it. Not to speak of the reasons that we're all in this boat in the first place. 

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭caitrionaanne

I am looking into moving to PTSB myself as well. Same story, with BOI all my life but the fees are ridicolous!

@karlitob  Great OP, pity the couldnt give any valid reasons to stay! They listed off a load of stuff that most banks have so the was a great sales pitch!! I see KBC are having that change your bank day so gonna have a look there too. 

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phillo65

I was with Boi since a kid,right through college,car loans,etc,wages paid direct debit every week in to A/C.The free banking they brought in,stating that you must have €3000 in your A/C at all times was a joke.I was lucky that I could hold at just above that level.Last year due to holidays or something it went under and I mean only a few euro.They hit with every charge.40 years with them,closed the A/C in October ,moved to PTSB and all was smooth.I am like most people,we are creatures of habit but with a push from the wife I done it.The staff were helpful and still are with any quieries and online is easy.
    One thing,when I went in to Boi to close The A/C I was standing in the middle of the floor with at least 12 other "customers" looking around trying to figure where to go,who to see.No signs,only booths with staff in and out,with the usual MANTRA.
    Someone will be with you.You actually were made feel like an inconvience.
    So could Laura,Billy,Alison,etc stop spinning out the company spiel and actually answer a question.
    Please pass this to the relevant dept.Or maybe to one of the your 2000 financial experts.That part of the reply gave me a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi phillo65,

Thanks for posting.

We’re very surprised to hear that you’re unhappy with the level of service provided by the reps here.

We’re more than happy and do answer the majority of day to day banking queries on our Talk to Forum which is what we are here for.

I will pass your comments to the branch network about their procedures and we very much appreciate all feedback given. The last thing we want is for a customer to feel uncomfortable in our branches.

If you have a specific question that we can help with, please let us know.

Thanks

Billy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 phillo65

Too late.I am with PTSB now.One thing,When I closed the A/C the person I was dealing with left me standing in the middle of the floor,went off and done paperwork etc. on my A/C.She came back and got me to sign a few forms in front of everyone else who was waiting.Not very professional or private.Also no one asked why I was closing so I take that to mean that they didn't care.FYI it was Sligo Stephen st. branch in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi phillo65, 

Thanks for your post.

We're sorry to have lost you as a customer. 

Thanks very much for the feedback. 
    We'll ensure it is passed to the branch. 

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DG Leixlip

Just a quick message to let you know you are loosing another customer in me.

I have been with BOI for over 20 years - but the recent increases in bank charges are just ridiculous!

I was okay with paying the fixed quarterly charge - it was about 50euro for the year - but I figured it was just about acceptable.

I'll probably go to PTSB aswell - but at this stage I'd happily move to any bank - as I will not give BOI the satisfaction of robbing me blind.

You are being totally unreasonable with the latest charging structure - and I really hope you loose half of your customers over this! Right now I am a very angry customer who sang your praises for years - you obviously have no respect or regard for your long-term customers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi DG Leixlip,

Thank you for taking the time to post here on boards.ie.

We are very sorry to hear you are considering leaving Bank of Ireland. As a long standing customer, your custom is very important to us. Before you make your final decision we would ask that you review this link on our website which offers helpful hints on how to reduce your fees and charges.

Also, please feel free to contact your branch directly as a representative there will be more than happy to discuss your concerns regarding the fees and charges on your account.

We sincerely hope you decide to continue banking with us.

Thanks,
    Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Those suggestions seem to only help students or, surprise, surprise, rich people who have 3000 in their bank accounts. What about us working stiffs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Skatedude[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thank you for your posting.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the quarterly banking fees. For personal customers, we do have tips on how to minimise fees here [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Although a quarterly maintenance fee has been introduced, we have lowered the majority of our transaction fees, you can see more information on this here [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If you need any further information regarding the fees on the link provided, please feel free to ask us here.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thank you again for taking the time to contact us here on Boards.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Alison[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Have to agree the fees have gotten ridiculous. I must sort out moving everything over.

And done. :-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im also leaving next week.
    25 years a BOI customer from my very first job when I left school.

Last quarter my fees were 60 euros.

Absolute madness--PTSB here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You cant blame the reps for responding with the company line, its all they can do and they do a decent job helping people here.

In saying that though you'd be mad to bank with BOI any more, their charges are very expensive. I moved to PTSB last year and it was very easy. Just fill out a form online and someone rings you to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭northwestramble

I also moved away from BOI after 20 years of banking, the charges all started to add up. I agree Runawaybishop, staying a BOI customer is getting harder to justify. There is choice out there now, great time to leave. I had a simple view, better the money in my pocket.

Also, would agree, the Reps here do a great job, is not easy, when BOI Inc is appearing to show less and less respect for is customers, and the reps here have to try and help out and explain some crazy decisions BOI is making.  

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I just completed the move to PTSB aswell.

Was a BOI staff member for over 7 years and a customer for this period. Fees just too high to justify staying.

Advertisement