Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog boarding kennels Glendalough/Laragh

• 28-01-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭

Anyone know of any kennels in the Glendalough/ Laragh area? I know there are some further over east but I'm looking for one in the immediate area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Superdedupity

Closest two are the k-9 club near Ballinaclash, or Ballinatone, nr Greenane / Glenmalue. No personal experience, have heard positive things from people about the k-9 club:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Closest two are the k-9 club near Ballinaclash, or Ballinatone, nr Greenane / Glenmalue. No personal experience, have heard positive things from people about the k-9 club:)

Thanks for that, I used the K9 club before alright when I was up that way previously. Was hoping to find something closer to where I'll be. Only thing I didn't like about that places that she charged me more than her usual nightly rate claiming because it was only one night, thought it was very cheeky but I was in no position to argue, it was taking advantage of a one off visitor really.

I've heard she's a strong character alright, but it is worth paying for the peace of mind, have seen some disgraceful kennels;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Are you going to an event in the area? Would it be possible to stay in a dog-friendly, self-catering place?
    I stayed in a lovely cottage in Laragh with my dogs a year ago while I was on a course in the area, I could nip home at lunch to get them out for a walk, as well as a walk morning and evening.

Never even thought of that, to be honest, we go nowhere without our dog now either:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

As a country we really don't fare all that well with dog friendly accommodation, you have to go searching for it. Self catering is much easier to find than guesthouses or hotels, not that many allow pets, and when they do they tend to either place size restrictions or have them stay in a kennel.

We're heading away next month for a few days and all the hotels I was looking at online were pet friendly. Even when I travel abroad, it's not unusual to see dogs in airports, going places with their families. I don't think it's possible anymore to get a flight out of Ireland with your pet, I know Aer Arann used to run a service, but I think the easier and safer option is to get the ferry.

DBB wrote: »
    Are you going to an event in the area? Would it be possible to stay in a dog-friendly, self-catering place?
    I stayed in a lovely cottage in Laragh with my dogs a year ago while I was on a course in the area, I could nip home at lunch to get them out for a walk, as well as a walk morning and evening.

I'll be staying in the hotel as part of a course and have exams etc, so unfortunately that option isn't a goer. I've been up and down from Cork over the past few months and put the two of them into kennels at home each time, but I was hoping to stay an extra day or two this time round and leave one with a friend and bring the other and put her in kennels for the two days so as to do some hiking after I'm done with the course, but it's a nice to do rather than a necessity! I never feel right going hiking without at least one dog!! It's always been a bit of a rush to get back home to pick them up from the kennels, so am exploring the other options :-)

I've heard she's a strong character alright, but it is worth paying for the peace of mind, have seen some disgraceful kennels;)

Lol she also told me most kennel owners are alcoholics. But I have to say the premises was fantastic, so having not seen them before that time dropping my dog in, I was very happy driving away knowing my dog would be well looked after and safe. It's always a bit of a risk if you're travelling and have to put them in somewhere for a night or two without having seen the kennels first. My policy has been, if I don't like what I see, I turn around and drive home if I have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

K-9 county club had dogs stolen from it on more than one occasion...

tk123 wrote: »

You might be thinking of the Canine Country Club near Naas? or has the same happened to K9 Country Club in Rathdrum? Just want to be sure as I do know the Naas kennels has a history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

carav10 wrote: »
    You might be thinking of the Canine Country Club near Naas? or has the same happened to K9 Country Club in Rathdrum? Just want to be sure as I do know the Naas kennels has a history

You're right - apologies - I meant the one near Naas!

Don't know if you know the area well around here, but there's some really spectacular places to walk, just ask if you want. Afaik, there's a self catering place nr here too-I can find out if you want:)

Certainly had never heard anything but positive things about these kennels:)

You're right - apologies - I meant the one near Naas!

Thanks for confirming, I'd hate the wrong one to be blamed!!
    Don't know if you know the area well around here, but there's some really spectacular places to walk, just ask if you want. Afaik, there's a self catering place nr here too-I can find out if you wantsmile.png

I'm familiar with the place alright, used to spend a lot of time in those parts when I lived up that way, I've loved being up there regularly over the past few months. Thanks for offering but I'm ok on the self-catering as I wouldn't be going down that route this time round. It's a case of drive home on the Saturday night or stay over and hike before heading home Sunday evening, without dog it's looking like realistically! Wouldn't the Glendalough hotel make a killing if they offered a few dog kennels!

Id probably give them a call and ask for Pat Casey, the owner (never knew him to turn down some cash lol) I was up their during the week, and its the time of year that's its the most beautiful, and as quiet as Glendalough gets; Id try and do a deal with him:)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

There's a kennels near Arklow ( Barndarraig), not sure of the name. Its about a half hour from Glendalough. Have you posted on the Wicklow forum?

Advertisement