Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are bank branches open so limited hours?

Options
  • 28-01-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Yes today there are fewer reasons to have to go to a bank in person, but sometimes it is necessary - so why are the branch opening hours so limited?

For example the AIB branches around Dublin 2 are open 10-4 with their "late night" day on Thursday where they are open until 5pm (hardly late!). Never a Saturday either.

It makes it impossible to ever go to a bank before work (and arrive a bit late) or leave work early to head to the bank.

Are bank branch employees really only working 6 hours a day? Just curious if it has always been this way or have their been cutbacks in hours to reduce staff costs? Thanks for the insight!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ScottSF wrote: »
    Are bank branch employees really only working 6 hours a day? Just curious if it has always been this way or have their been cutbacks in hours to reduce staff costs? Thanks for the insight!

Just because a office is open 10-4, does not mean that this is the working hours of the staff, they might have to get there before and stay after the opening hours, but the opening hours are largely a legacy issue, it has always been this way, and the won;t change

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Thanks for responding. I guess also due to the lack of competition there is little incentive to increase branch opening hours. You would think that if one of the big banks offered better hours they would get more customers.

As for
    it has always been this way, and the won;t change
    , I'm a bit more optimistic.

In the states the banks were also only open on weekday "business hours" when I was growing up. However in recent years a few smarter banks expanded and tried to be different. Some added Saturday and even Sunday hours along with a late night or two. Another, ING (which based in the Netherlands I believe) opened up cafes in city centre locations so you can get a cup of coffee while getting some banking taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It wasn't always that way: I remember when they opened from 10.00 to 12.30 and from 13.30 to 15.00. They have increased their opening hours by more than 50% in my lifetime.

In the good old days, we actually did far more of our bank business over the counter than is the norm now. There once was a world without ATMs, and many of us remember what it was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Horrocksjm

PTSB has just extended its hours at the Blanch Centre brach to 7pm on a Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

It'd be nice to have them open longer but remember we own several of them. Longer hours=more staff wages and other overheads=more pain for us. I wouldn't be expecting any change to the banks opening hours any time in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

it used to be worse shut at lunch,shut at 3.30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

In the good old days, we actually did far more of our bank business over the counter than is the norm now. There once was a world without ATMs, and many of us remember what it was like.

There was also a time when pay packets actually had pay in them ;)

Ulster bank have a few branches that open on Saturdays 10am to 1pm. One particular branch used to open at 8 or 8.30am a couple of days a week also, but the day I went in - I was told it wasn't open, by the bored looking teller in the "physically open" branch, apparently it was open for appointments - which the website didn't of course mention.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

There is one simple reason for this "Unions".

They are against longer opening hours. There are staff on contracts with 9am-9pm conditions in them. However the Unions are protecting their members by rigidly not allowing this to happen. The option is there for banks to simple do this.

On the other hand tellerless transactions is the way most banks are moving and this costs a lot of money hence why some banks are further behind others in doing this.

As pointed out opening times have increased over the last number of years and some of UB branches did the 7am-5pm but the demand simply was not there. Other banks have tried the same in the more built up financial areas like the IFSC etc and again the demand is just not there.

Some banks have saturday opening. There are very few transactions these days that have the need to actually go into a branch and/or see a teller, however some of these transactions incur an extra fee and some folks simply do not wish to pay it hence the clog up the branches.

There is an argument for the need for a full hour before/after opening/closing and these training mornings etc but them issues are legacy and should be tackled.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

and then they let most of the staff go for lunch at lunchtime.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There's probably more cash and staff in a large supermarket, but a bank has higher a counter wage bill and shorter opening hours.

It will never change.

I was once asked by the bank 'what kind of job will not let you pop out for an appointment'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I was once asked by the bank 'what kind of job will not let you pop out for an appointment'?
    You were probably asked that by an individual who works in a bank.

In every line of work there are instances of people saying stupid or thoughtless things. They prove nothing about the businesses that they work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

It's not only bank branch opening hours that are stuck in the past, the same is the case for opening hours of phone banking where you can speak to a real person about a problem with for example a credit card.

It happens once in a while that PTSB fraud monitoring declines my card on an oversees trip and than not being able to talk to anybody for hours due to the limited hours of opening (never mind Saturday afternoons or even Sundays) is a joke.

My German bank account has a 24/7 available line with staff available to help.

Don't get me wrong the PTSB call centre staff are great but not being able to speak to them 24/7 is a joke in the world we are in right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I feel your frustration. However in the last few years I've only been in a branch maybe 2 or 3 times. I do everything online now.

This was actually one of the good things about Danske closing its branch network - they outsourced branch activities to An Post and it worked out much better. My local post office is open late most evenings and all day Saturday. Danske never opened on Saturday.

Advertisement