Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderbird won't send mail on a wifi hot spot

Options
  • 28-01-2014 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I've been using a wifi hotspot recently to do a bit of work from, it's fine other than when I try to send an email from thunderbird, I get an error and the email disappears and ends up in the sent folder, but i don't think it sent properly.

The server settings I'm using are:

Blacknight SMTP Server
    smtp1r.cp.blacknight.com
    Port 587

Any suggestions or advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Generally you need to use the SMTP server of the service provider, e.g. UPC's or Eircom's. Ask the hotspot company what theirs is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Oh really? This is bitbuzz in a cafe.. do you think the same still applies?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

try setting it to
    mail.bitbuzz.net

maybe

or something like : http://www.smtp2go.com/ <<<<< free for less than 20 emails per day

If you are doing work on cafe wifi setups , you'd probably want to use a VPN

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, tried both bitbuzz and smtp2go and they aren't working either :( say they timed out or something.

What's VPN and why should I use it? Security?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions, tried both bitbuzz and smtp2go and they aren't working either :( say they timed out or something.

What's VPN and why should I use it? Security?

Did you use port 25?

Do a speedtest on speedtest.net, it will tell you what provider you are on, then change to theirs (Google it)

A VPN is a secure tunnel to your work network where your mail server is.

Thanks for the continued help guys. I just went to speedtest and this is the result.

It says bitbuzz ltd on the test:

3265641006.png

I don't actually have a work network, I'm self employed and work from home mostly, just out at the mo :)

This says it's mail.bitbuzz.net. Did you try the default smtp port 25?

Would their webmail do when you're out ?

Whoo, port 25 seemed to work, they are sending fine now :) I wonder why SMTP2Go didn't work, seemed like a good solution to always be able to send no matter what connection I'm on, even 20 a day is fine for when I'm not on my regular connection.

Thanks a lot for the help!

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Whoo, port 25 seemed to work, they are sending fine now :) I wonder why SMTP2Go didn't work, seemed like a good solution to always be able to send no matter what connection I'm on, even 20 a day is fine for when I'm not on my regular connection.

Thanks a lot for the help!

You can also use Googles smtp https://www.digitalocean.com/community/articles/how-to-use-google-s-smtp-server

Thanks for that. I'm back home now but tried those settings earlier too as I had a gmail smpt saved in thunderbird, although port was set to 110, it didn't work earlier but just worked now (I'm connected to Vodafone bb). Might try it again next time I'm out and about. 99 emails per 24h should be fine :)

Take note of this bit or your customers won't know what yer at
    NOTE: Google automatically rewrites the From line of any email you send via its SMTP server to the default Send mail as email address in your Gmail or Google Apps email account Settings. You need to be aware of this nuance because it affects the presentation of your email, from the point of view of the recepient, and it may also affect the Reply-To setting of some programs.

wow, that's kind of crazy, I started to read that but I thought it was just something in the server settings and wouldn't actually have any bearing on anything so I didn't pay attention to it. That's a pretty important thing! Thanks for pointing it out, I think I'll be using their smpt only as a last resort now!

You can also do what I do and add your pop email details to gmail so it gets all your mail.

Yeah I had someone from boards help me set up a gmail backup service for all my accounts where every mail I send and receive in Thunderbird is copied to gmail in it's respective folder which is very handy to have as I'll always have everything backed up :)

Advertisement