Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Deals on off shors / coastal wet gear in ireland?

• 28-01-2014 8:27pm
    Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

The time has come my henri loyds which have given 9yrs great service need replacing, no im not a brand snob but would like to get as good value as I can! More money for sailing haha
    The reason I say in ireland and not over the net is I really need to try on before I buy! God dam my unusual shape body :)

Costal level of protection would suffice but I would go offshore if a good bargain. Allso in the market for leather wellie boots.,

so if you know of anything of interest let me know! Dublin/cork/galway for the right gear ill travel.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

For boots, visit the Dubarry factory in Ballinasloe - they don't have the same range they used to years ago (I think the boots are now made in Poland or somewhere), but they usually have the full rage of sizes in the Fastnets (brown and blue ones), or they did the last time I was there anyway.

I got a pair of Musto BR1s this time last year in Viking Marine in Dun Laoghaire for €100 - not far off half price, I think. There just happened to be a pair on the sale rail in my size. I'd be doing the rounds of all the shops I could get to if I were you, there could be handy pre-new-season deals to be had.

Otherwise, keep an eye out for Lidl/Aldi offerings. Can be a bit of a gamble as to quality - I've got grand ones and ****e ones - and they haven't had them for the last year or two as far as I know. But they're awfully cheap, and breathable, so you might just hit a jackpot if they come up again this season.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    For boots, visit the Dubarry factory in Ballinasloe - they don't have the same range they used to years ago (I think the boots are now made in Poland or somewhere), but they usually have the full rage of sizes in the Fastnets (brown and blue ones), or they did the last time I was there anyway.

I got a pair of Musto BR1s this time last year in Viking Marine in Dun Laoghaire for €100 - not far off half price, I think. There just happened to be a pair on the sale rail in my size. I'd be doing the rounds of all the shops I could get to if I were you, there could be handy pre-new-season deals to be had.

Otherwise, keep an eye out for Lidl/Aldi offerings. Can be a bit of a gamble as to quality - I've got grand ones and ****e ones - and they haven't had them for the last year or two as far as I know. But they're awfully cheap, and breathable, so you might just hit a jackpot if they come up again this season.

Great stuff ill look up some of that info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I've bought the Lidl oilies - not great, not very breathable and not very waterproof. Also, the velcro bits began to fall off as the stitching was poor. The Lidl shackles seem to be good, no issues with them, but the ropes/warps they sold are total cr@p. I was stuck for a main halyard during the summer and has a Lidl 'rope' of suitable length (bought it a couple of years ago - cheap, 'it might be useful sometime') and a few sails later it was frayed and useless. The topping-lift next to it is about 20 years old! See photo.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Thanks for the advice folks, plenty to look into!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭homer911

A trip to Belfast may be worth your while. Decathlon do their own range of sailing gear and prices can be very competitive

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/

• Advertisement
Advertisement