Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed base

Options
  • 28-01-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi everyone,

Im getting a shed the size is 24 x 40
    The question is I'm getting very different quotes for the base . I know it may take two loads of ready mix but the quotes are fetching at 700 euro 2500 and 6500. Does anybody no what i may expect to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

wattersss1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Im getting a shed the size is 24 x 40
    The question is I'm getting very different quotes for the base . I know it may take two loads of ready mix but the quotes are fetching at 700 euro 2500 and 6500. Does anybody no what i may expect to pay?

6500?? are they building the shed for that??

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wattersss1

No unfortunately not, i told him to get back onto his saddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

What kind of shed? steel panel type? I got one from shannette in Kilbeggan a few years roughly the size 8 m by 16m and i got some silly quotes one builder !!! was €3000 not including hardcore framing materials and concrete. but i thought those kind of eejits had become extinct. ask around for some handy local lad to frame the base order the concrete yourself and get the lad to scree it for you.

triskell wrote: »
    What kind of shed? steel panel type? I got one from shannette in Kilbeggan a few years roughly the size 8 m by 16m and i got some silly quotes one builder !!! was €3000 not including hardcore framing materials and concrete. but i thought those kind of eejits had become extinct. ask around for some handy local lad to frame the base order the concrete yourself and get the lad to scree it for you.

Yes i did the shed in shannette working out around 8880 for a box iron she.

I got a quote from another lad with a rsj for 6,800 and base also for 650 the nly problem is he is hard to get on the phone so i have my wits,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Would you not have a look around for the cost of materials locally and see where there coming up with some outrageous quotes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

24ft x 40ft = 7.3m x 12.2m = 89m2
    at least 0.2m slab = 17.8m3

Concrete prices at the moment 60 euro a cubic meter so concrete alone is around 1100 euro.

allowance for some steel mesh, hardcore fill under the slab and misc 600 euro

labour for 2 men over two days 800 euro

total price estimate 2500 euro

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

if your getting a shed from shanette they have their own guy who does the base, if you want his number send me a pm and i'll send it on.

I put up a 40 x 20ft shanette type shed a few years ago and it was 2k for the base alone.

Remember, a shed this size requires planning permission as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

charlieIRL wrote: »
    if your getting a shed from shanette they have their own guy who does the base, if you want his number send me a pm and i'll send it on.

I put up a 40 x 20ft shanette type shed a few years ago and it was 2k for the base alone.

Remember, a shed this size requires planning permission as well.

Shannette gave me the number of a guy (no real connection with shannette) who did bases, I was shocked at his prices and he was highly indignant when I queried his quote, hence doing it myself with the help of a couple of polish lads. there is still a Celtic tiger attitude around from some of these people. OP keep looking around, you will find someone that will give you a realistic price
    the whole permission thing is a grey area as the shed is semi permanent and can technically be moved elsewhere, as it is just bolted down, but to be on the safe side it is a good idea to get planning permission.

triskell wrote: »
    Shannette gave me the number of a guy (no real connection with shannette) who did bases, I was shocked at his prices and he was highly indignant when I queried his quote, hence doing it myself with the help of a couple of polish lads. there is still a Celtic tiger attitude around from some of these people. OP keep looking around, you will find someone that will give you a realistic price
    the whole permission thing is a grey area as the shed is semi permanent and can technically be moved elsewhere, as it is just bolted down, but to be on the safe side it is a good idea to get planning permission.

really? I've dealt with him (if its the same fella) a good few times with work and never had any problems.

Regarding planning - most councils see them as permanent as they will be in place for more than 5 years (the limit for a temporary structure) I've yet to meet someone who's been told to take one down yet though!

Yes the lad in connection with shannette quoted 6,500 on the phone,

I thought with the shed being bolted i would not need planing permission should i be concerned.

• Advertisement

I thought with the shed being bolted i would not need planing permission should i be concerned.

thats pathetic, i'd expect the shed as well for that price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Where in the county are you?

I might be able to do you a good price

Advertisement