Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snapchat in the workplace

Options
  • 28-01-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Looking for advice, was at meeting off site with colleagues and one particular lady I was with received a snap chat of another colleague.
    The person who's photo was taken was at the time in the ladies changing room undressing. This women is in her late 50s and is none the wiser her privacy was violated.
    The lady who received this snap chat who is in her 30s opened it and said to me ' oh my god jane doe just sent me a picture of this women in her underwear.
    She instantly knew from my reaction of horror on my face that I was disgusted as she then went on to say how bad that was.
    I told her that's completely out of order. Someone else overheard and have discussed this in detail with them on the best way to approach this with management as I feel saying nothing and allowing this behavior to continue makes me just as guilty as them.
    The problem is having no evidence as snapchat deletes the photos once opened and the picture was not sent to me so it comes down to my word against them ?
    Any advice how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

its a tough one because as you say snapchat deletes all pics straigh away.
    would the person who recieved the pic be willing to back you up on this if you were to go to HR/Management?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

You should tell the woman who the photo was taken of. That's it, she can choose to take it further if she wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 errin130

No the person who received the picture is friends so I don't expect her back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Why would a person do this ,take a photo of a older lady in her underwear in a changing room and send it on? some weird people about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

OP, did you actually see the photo? If you haven't seen the picture and if you have no evidence, then this could be a prank at your expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

The fact that it was Snapchat is really irrelevant here...

Snapchat deletes from the persons phone but as you said the girls are friends so even if it didn’t I doubt she will give her phone over to anyone. The only way she could be obliged too is if the Guards / courts are involved (assuming it’s a personal phone and not a work one).

Snapchat pictures delete from the phone but stay on Snapchat servers. Like above, Guards / court order can require Snapchat will hand it over to law enforcement.

Assuming it’s not a prank, speak to the lady involved and tell her what happened. Explain this to her and let her decide how to proceed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

This is shocking bad form.:(
    If it were me i would realy want to know.
    Juvenile, unprofessional, really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Snapchat is irrelevant. It's simply not appropriate to be taking photos with a phone in the changing rooms, no matter what you do with them.

Jane Doe needs some informal counselling about her behaviour.

If it comes from her manager, she will of course deny it. Nevertheless her manager shoud be informed.

And IMHO other methods should be used to let all staff know that some people have been using phones inappropriately. It's possible to be totally legal and professional here, will still letting people know that they should be aware of their colleagues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr Boom Boom

errin130 wrote: »
    Looking for advice, was at meeting off site with colleagues and one particular lady I was with received a snap chat of another colleague.
    The person who's photo was taken was at the time in the ladies changing room undressing. This women is in her late 50s and is none the wiser her privacy was violated.
    The lady who received this snap chat who is in her 30s opened it and said to me ' oh my god jane doe just sent me a picture of this women in her underwear.
    She instantly knew from my reaction of horror on my face that I was disgusted as she then went on to say how bad that was.
    I told her that's completely out of order. Someone else overheard and have discussed this in detail with them on the best way to approach this with management as I feel saying nothing and allowing this behavior to continue makes me just as guilty as them.
    The problem is having no evidence as snapchat deletes the photos once opened and the picture was not sent to me so it comes down to my word against them ?
    Any advice how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated

Be careful. Sounds like they could be playing you. No picture no evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 3 errin130

I have since been approached by another member of staff from a different department about this matter ( she was sitting beside the girl on the other side of her when she received the picture) she overheard and also seen the photo.
    telling the women is not a option in my opinion. The lady is special needs. She is vulnerable and I feel knowing this happened to her would destroy what little confidence and self esteem she has.
    Have spoke with management and HR today. Thank you all for your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Just on Snapchat folks..

Don't be fooled into thinking the photos are gone..
    Its simple enough, take a screen shot within the 10seconds the photo is there and you have it forever..

Worse, there is another app that automatically saves your snapchat photos for future use..

Youll see many, many Facebook pages dedicated to displaying snapchat photos and indeed demeaning the people in them...

Hackers have already broken the snapchat code and published a list of the users phone numbers as proof..

This is a serious incident and I commend OP for talking to HR about it..
    Well done you, we should only expect the highest standards in our workplaces, if this behaviour continues how long until more people have their privacy invaded.

Advertisement