Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice required

• 28-01-2014 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Hi

Need some work done to my place and was wondering roughly what the Cust would be. I need the following done.

Parkray removed and wall blanked off, plastered etc.

Termostat controls added to 12 rads

New kick board heater installed

Connect pump to hot tap.

Leak in kitchen sink repaired.

New 1600 by 600 double rad installed

Fix leaking rad.

Chemically clear heating system and add inhibitor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Hi

Need some work done to my place and was wondering roughly what the Cust would be. I need the following done.

Connect pump to hot tap.

Leak in kitchen sink repaired.

Fix leaking rad.

What area are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Rough guide:

Not as simple as you think. If the flue is going to be blanked & plastered, consideration must be given to moisture & dampness. Some people fill them with sand to absorb, but flue terminal detail should also be considered.

Approx €30 - €40 per rad, depending on TRV chosen. However, if microbore or GB, expect to pay more.

Will depend on heater chosen & pipework & electrical spur proximity.

Connect pump to hot tap.
    Further info required. If you fit a pump to just one hot tap, it will generally pull from the cylinder vent & scream with air. There are single booster pumps available but will only slightly improve, about 0.5bar. They are pricey too.

Leak in kitchen sink repaired
    Depends what is leaking.

About €250, cheaper for a 500 high.

Fix leaking rad.
    Depends what is leaking

Upto 10 rads approx €450

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What area are you in?

D15

shane0007 wrote: »
    Rough guide:

Not as simple as you think. If the flue is going to be blanked & plastered, consideration must be given to moisture & dampness. Some people fill them with sand to absorb, but flue terminal detail should also be considered.

Approx €30 - €40 per rad, depending on TRV chosen. However, if microbore or GB, expect to pay more.

Will depend on heater chosen & pipework & electrical spur proximity.

Connect pump to hot tap.
    Further info required. If you fit a pump to just one hot tap, it will generally pull from the cylinder vent & scream with air. There are single booster pumps available but will only slightly improve, about 0.5bar. They are pricey too.

Leak in kitchen sink repaired
    Depends what is leaking.

About €250, cheaper for a 500 high.

Fix leaking rad.
    Depends what is leaking

Upto 10 rads approx €450

Thanks Shane, that's useful.

Interesting comment regarding the parkray. I want the parkray/back boiler removed and the hole blanked off but hadn't considered anything else that might be required. Could that cause me problems?

The hot taps (2) are in the bathrooms at the other end of the house to the hot press. Takes a couple if mins at present for hot water to get through. Want to speed that up. Pain in the arse on a cold morning waiting for hot water to filter through when shaving!

The kick board heater will be standard model I'm sure. Very close, say 5ft to the hot press so piping not to much hassle.

Interesting comment regarding the parkray. I want the parkray/back boiler removed and the hole blanked off but hadn't considered anything else that might be required. Could that cause me problems?

It could well do. Moisture, no ventilation, interstitial condensation, rainwater entering the flue terminal, etc.
    Mostly what is done is filling the flue with sand & fitting a rain guard on the terminal. Easy to re-instate the flue is required in the future.
    The hot taps (2) are in the bathrooms at the other end of the house to the hot press. Takes a couple if mins at present for hot water to get through. Want to speed that up. Pain in the arse on a cold morning waiting for hot water to filter through when shaving!

Booster pump would probably not resolve the problem. The only real solution is a secondary return with a bronze circulating pump wired to a timeclock that is set to circulate hot water during the times you wish to have hot water at those taps. This would require getting a return pipe from the furthest hot tap back to the hot press & installing a bronze pump, so not an easy option & certainly not a cheap fix.

• Advertisement

It could well do. Moisture, no ventilation, interstitial condensation, rainwater entering the flue terminal, etc.
    Mostly what is done is filling the flue with sand & fitting a rain guard on the terminal. Easy to re-instate the flue is required in the future.

Booster pump would probably not resolve the problem. The only real solution is a secondary return with a bronze circulating pump wired to a timeclock that is set to circulate hot water during the times you wish to have hot water at those taps. This would require getting a return pipe from the furthest hot tap back to the hot press & installing a bronze pump, so not an easy option & certainly not a cheap fix.

Thanks very much. Quote I got for the lot is 2900 ex vat. Looks a bit high.

Thanks very much. Quote I got for the lot is 2900 ex vat. Looks a bit high.

We're not seeing what your installer is seeing as he inspected the job, however, €2,900 + vat does seem excessive for the works you describe.

PM JohnnieK & he might be interested in having a look & quoting you for the works. I would certainly recommend his quality of work & his fairness on pricing.

We're not seeing what your installer is seeing as he inspected the job, however, €2,900 + vat does seem excessive for the works you describe.

PM JohnnieK & he might be interested in having a look & quoting you for the works. I would certainly recommend his quality of work & his fairness on pricing.

How do I do that Shane ?

How do I do that Shane ?

Go to your own Private Messages, then on the left hand side under Private Messages click on the Send Private Message button. Under Recipient Username, type JohnnieK, his name will appear under a drop down list. Click & write your message.

Go to your own Private Messages, then on the left hand side under Private Messages click on the Send Private Message button. Under Recipient Username, type JohnnieK, his name will appear under a drop down list. Click & write your message.

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement