Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dalmatian - Suitable dry food?

• 28-01-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Have a Dalmatian which we feed RC special breed.

Am sick of paying over the odds for it.

Are there any other dalmatian owners here who use a resonably priced alternative?

Have stuck with this food because of the Dalmatians issues with Purines and kidney stones.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I have owned 2 dalmations over the years at different times. One was a "stoner" and one wasn't. You may be lucky and yours might never suffer from stones, but you are right to take precautions to feed the correct diet to minimise the possibility. Those breed specific foods are so incredibly expensive. I was paying about €85 per bag and he didn't even like it.
    All you need to do is find a food that is low in organ meat (offal),. Stick to a good quality food that's mainly fish or chicken. I started using Skinners salmon and rice a few years ago. Or you could try raw feeding (staying away from dense meat/offal). Plenty of water and you should be able to avoid stones forming and urinary tract infections. Skin problems are also common in Dals so the diet will help with this too.
    My boy is gone now but he went through hell and high water with it.
    If you want to stick to dry food, zooplus.ie is a good place to start. They have a good selection.

Advertisement