Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jump

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Davina talks some inane drivel, meanwhile celebrity's queue up to take turns be seriously injured and maybe fired to an icy death. That's the premise?
    Sarah Harding seems to be one of the few not sh*tting herself, mainly cause she seems drunk all the time.

I reckon Davina is just as concerned as most viewers when a celeb gets badly injured.

And she'd be devastated if a fatality actually did occur - Noel Edmonds certainly was when Michael Lush's bungee stunt went horribly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This sounds bad.

Is this show worth the risk?

"Olympic bronze medal-winning gymnast Beth Tweddle has "moved her hands and feet" after undergoing surgery to fuse fractured vertebrae in her neck.

Tweddle had a piece of bone taken from her hip as part of an operation after she was injured in a fall while training for Channel 4 show The Jump.

The 30-year-old has quit the show and described the last 48 hours as "scary". "

http://www.bbc.com/sport/gymnastics/35523346

Also

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/the-jump-2016-viewers-ask-channel-4-to-cancel-reality-show-after-beth-tweddle-rebecca-adlington-and-a6859151.html

Linford's also injured - but he doesn't intend to quit.

Nor have Channel 4 yet succumbed to the inevitable multitude of tweets calling for them to pull the plug on the show.

Perhaps they should have stuck to airing it daily, though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

Skid X wrote: »
    This sounds bad.

Is this show worth the risk?

"Olympic bronze medal-winning gymnast Beth Tweddle has "moved her hands and feet" after undergoing surgery to fuse fractured vertebrae in her neck.

Tweddle had a piece of bone taken from her hip as part of an operation after she was injured in a fall while training for Channel 4 show The Jump.

The 30-year-old has quit the show and described the last 48 hours as "scary". "

http://www.bbc.com/sport/gymnastics/35523346

Also

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/the-jump-2016-viewers-ask-channel-4-to-cancel-reality-show-after-beth-tweddle-rebecca-adlington-and-a6859151.html

They said it was routine surgery, that sounds more like very serious surgery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Mark Francis fractured his ankle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mark Francis fractured his ankle.

Jesus will anyone make it to the end of the show? I reckon the winner will be someone who just wins by default by being the only uninjured person left. Prob Brian McFadden. :D

Now Linford's hamstring hasn't healed fast enough for him to continue - and Arg is to replace him despite being eliminated last week.

What next? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Interesting to see tonight that the girls (well, Heather and Tamara, who clearly hate each other!) were bitching about each other in private to other people, but all the boys were slagging each other up at the bar before the races.

Such a cliché :o

Good news indeed. :):):)

Meanwhile, Arg's second stint didn't last too long, did it? Has to go down as a bit of an own goal by the producers, IMHO... :o:D;)

• Advertisement

Good news indeed. :):):)

Meanwhile, Arg's second stint didn't last too long, did it? Has to go down as a bit of an own goal by the producers, IMHO... :o:D;)

It would be funny if someone else had to withdraw and he came back again. And again ...

At least Victoria Coren Mitchell knows how to write a newspaper article and at the same time not be an attention-seeking idiot, or come across as one.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/14/channel-four-the-jump-dangerous-sports-stupid-gambling-good

At least Victoria Coren Mitchell knows how to write a newspaper article and at the same time not be an attention-seeking idiot, or come across as one.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/14/channel-four-the-jump-dangerous-sports-stupid-gambling-good

Competitive Athletic Sports >>> Card Games :)

Channel 4 should bring back The Games, that had the best elements of The Jump with hardly any injuries.

Jaysus..... just watching tonight's show now..... Heather Mills needs a punch in the nose, she's a total PITA!

I know she has only one-and-a-half legs, but how many more ways can she find to remind us of that? Seriously, I have never heard so many excuses in a short space of time in my life. If you enter these things, dearie, you need to JFDI. And STFU.

That's my stock of acronyms used up already, and I'm not even halfway through the show :mad:

And what's going on with all the eyeliner on the boys this week :confused:

I love how Barry Davies in particular does excellent commentary on the events, treating it like a proper tournament while retaining a sense of humour.

He doesn't do much real sport commentary anymore, which is a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

I don't get why they compare the scores of the high jump with the ski jump? They're on a loser if they pick the high jump as the ski jump always wins by several metres. Is it their way of bowing out of the competition?

Sarn wrote: »
    I don't get why they compare the scores of the high jump with the ski jump? They're on a loser if they pick the high jump as the ski jump always wins by several metres. Is it their way of bowing out of the competition?

You have to stay on your feet for a certain distance after landing the ski jump - and that's a lot trickier than just firing yourself up in the air and crashlanding on the airbag.

Thanks be to jaysus Heather is gone - honestly, she is the most painful thing I've had to watch on telly in a very long time (and I'm including the recent election in that :eek:)

Sorry to see Brian go, I thought he was great fun all along - but nice to see him go out on a record jump (even if it was the easy one! I wonder did he even try the big one??)

Sam Parker has to go down in the record books as most improved beginner - he's completely fearless! That was some move he made in the skicross against Ben Cohen!

So Sarah and Heather are the sixth and seventh contestants to pull out because of injury - and Brian is only the fourth to be eliminated normally.

Only on The Jump. :o:D;)

The final is this coming Sunday. By the looks of things, it was always going to take place on this date - it wasn't brought forward, or indeed put back.

I assume, then, that if there hadn't been all these injuries and withdrawals, then there would have been one or two multiple eliminations (and Arg wouldn't have brought back only to be swiftly re-eliminated).

One thing's for sure, though: the winner will be the first whose first name isn't a diminutive of Joseph. :D It'll almost certainly be a man, however - the English bookmakers don't fancy Tamara's chances.

Ladbrokes: Tom evens, Dean 11/4, Ben 5/1, Sid 5/1, Tamara 16/1
    William Hill: Tom 6/5, Dean 9/4, Ben 9/2, Sid 6/1, Tamara 14/1
    Coral: Tom 11/10, Dean 15/8, Ben 5/1, Sid 8/1, Tamara 16/1

I guess the folks at Paddy Power didn't feel a need to offer a market, despite Brian's participation. :o:D

Will the show return in 2017? It depends on whether or not Channel 4 feel that the fallout from this series is too great. I wouldn't be too surprised if they did... but I think I'd be even less surprised if they didn't. :o:o:D:D;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Thanks be to jaysus Heather is gone - honestly, she is the most painful thing I've had to watch on telly in a very long time (and I'm including the recent election in that :eek:)

Seconded, hopefully they won't drag her back if there is another season.
    Sorry to see Brian go, I thought he was great fun all along - but nice to see him go out on a record jump (even if it was the easy one! I wonder did he even try the big one??)
    Yes. I suspect that if you pick up a "slight" injury - sore knee or dodgy shoulder say, the thought of coming down hard off the jump could be quite off putting - afterall its only tele :D

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    I love how Barry Davies in particular does excellent commentary on the events, treating it like a proper tournament while retaining a sense of humour.

He doesn't do much real sport commentary anymore, which is a shame.

The late Tony Gubba was just as brilliant on Dancing on Ice. :)

gubba_2506117b.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Surprised Ben won, I thought Dean deserved it as he was there from the start and really wanted it haha.

Hummm

I think they (C4) killed it. Don't think it was a patch on the previous series.

Last night was meh.

- Let's see everyone's best bits. How many times can they rehash the old clips.
    - Let's have a scene with everyone sitting around talking about the best bits.
    - The sports in the other series also seemed more varied. No toboggan, no speed skating.

Hummm

Last night was meh.

Agreed it was very Meh, after the early injuries I felt they massively toned down the danger/risk element to the show.

Loughc wrote: »
    Surprised Ben won, I thought Dean deserved it as he was there from the start and really wanted it haha.
    You could say the same of Sid Owen, who was arguably guaranteed to win the jump, had he managed to get into it. Dean had never beaten him yet.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You could say the same of Sid Owen, who was arguably guaranteed to win the jump, had he managed to get into it. Dean had never beaten him yet.

Yea true, but Dean was more rounded in all events. Sidders could only Jump. His skiing although had vastly improved wasn't good enough.

Agreed it was very Meh, after the early injuries I felt they massively toned down the danger/risk element to the show.

Maybe that's it. I just think that with a bit more imagination they could have made something worth watching.

It just seemed too formulaic. All the races seemed very similar. Even having them doing curling would have seemd interesting in comparision (I may have gone a step too far with that :)).

Cut out a lot of the flashbacks.
    Cut out a lot of the chalet scenes.
    Cut out the false tension of Ding Dong saying who's racing who. Cripes there's only 5 or 6 of you.

Maybe C4 need my help :o

Yea true, but Dean was more rounded in all events. Sidders could only Jump. His skiing although had vastly improved wasn't good enough.

Yeah, but the show is called The Jump - it doesn't seem fair that the contestant who jumped the furthest in the final of The Jump doesn't win it.

They should have planned the final episode so that only the three finalists got to attempt the Jump once (and not the losing repechage contestants from the semi final)

To be fair to Channel 4, their options were greatly reduced by all the injuries and withdrawals (which would also explain why they resorted to bringing Arg back almost as soon as he left).

I do think they should have stuck to airing the show daily, though.

It is a curiosity that the three Olympians in this series all pulled out, yet a sportsperson still won. Ben's not the first celebrity to have won The Jump having only joined part way through the series, however - that honour goes, of course, to Joe McElderry. ;)

Meanwhile, Beth has just started rehab. Even though she has retired from gymnastics, one cannot help but feel that she may never be able to show off her full range of skills again... :(

https://twitter.com/bethtweddlenews/status/705822069066489856

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

Hummm

Last night was meh.

- Let's see everyone's best bits. How many times can they rehash the old clips.
    - Let's have a scene with everyone sitting around talking about the best bits.
    - The sports in the other series also seemed more varied. No toboggan, no speed skating.

That is because they did not want to kill anyone in full view of the public

Advertisement