Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question

Options
  • 28-01-2014 10:06pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been out of work since September and currently interviewing at the moment. I started with a Company in June as a permanent employee was let go in September, because of 'Poor Performance'. Apparently the Company missed a deadline, because I was trying to fix a website poorly put together by an external Company. I couldn't ask the external Company for assistance in getting things done quicker, because the CEO wanted nothing to do with them.

So one morning I was brought into an external HR managers office and told I was being let go with immediate effect. Now a point to note is, I was on probation. I was informed I was being let go that instant. I was not informed in advance, given no right to an appeal and not given advance warning of any potential disciplinary hearing. Just brought into an office and told I was gone. Is this even allowed, despite being on probation? An Employee must be allowed some time, even 24 hours at most, for any disciplinary hearing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

When you are on probation you can be summarily dismissed in that manner I'm afraid. Unless you believed your dismissal was due to discrimination you would have no recourse, and to be honest even if you did have the option of appealing it, it's not going to help that you waited over 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, being able to be let go in this way is exactly what "probation" is for!

If you've been threre more than 13 weeks, they have to pay you out a week's notice. But they don't actually have to have you on site for that week.

Advertisement