Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord inspection: Do I need to clean the carpet?

Options
  • 28-01-2014 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

Received a notice saying the landlord wants to inspect the place to make sure there is no damage. There isn't any, but a couple of the carpets could do with a clean. I don't have much time at the moment, and will probably need to ask them to come sooner than the seven days' notice they gave. I don't want them coming when my unwell partner comes out of hospital.

So do I need to clean the carpet before they inspect the place, or is this a non-issue until we're actually leaving etc.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭galwaytown

Was the carpet dirty when you moved in?When I lived in a house once,I was moving the couch and beds around and the carpets were absolutely filthy,a disgrace actually,red rotten,holes and everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

galwaytown wrote: »
    Was the carpet dirty when you moved in?When I lived in a house once,I was moving the couch and beds around and the carpets were absolutely filthy,a disgrace actually,red rotten,holes and everything
    The cream-coloured carpet was cleaner when we moved in. I would certainly clean it before vacating the place. I just don't want to do it now if I don't have to, as I have loads of other stuff to do right now already.

I expect she would object one way or another. I don't care unless I'm actually supposed to clean them during our tenancy (as opposed to before we move out).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You're not obliged to clean the carpets for mid tenancy inspections at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭galwaytown

The cream-coloured carpet was cleaner when we moved in. I would certainly clean it before vacating the place. I just don't want to do it now if I don't have to, as I have loads of other stuff to do right now already.

I expect she would object one way or another. I don't care unless I'm actually supposed to clean them during our tenancy (as opposed to before we move out).

If its noticeably dirty then best to get a hot damp cloth I'm afraid!!You don't want to give an excuse either for her to start whinging

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If its dirty to the point of risking permanent damage then you need to clean it. If it could just do with a once over then its perfectly fine.

Its your home; the landlord is only there to inspect that you are not damaging the place. How you keep the property is your own business, provided it can be put right before you leave (and are obviously causing no major health hazards!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

A tenant is supposed to keep the place clean during the tenancy, not just at the end. If it looks bad you should probably clean it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If nothing else- you have a sick partner coming home from hospital. Surely the very least you could do is invest a few hours in having your home as clean as possible for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

It will probably take you a lot less time than you think. Just freshen them up even for your own peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

If nothing else- you have a sick partner coming home from hospital. Surely the very least you could do is invest a few hours in having your home as clean as possible for them?
    I've been doing absolutely everything I can for her for quite some time. Thanks for the uninformed, irrelevant, judgmental comment though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've been doing absolutely everything I can for her for quite some time. Thanks for the uninformed, irrelevant, judgmental comment though.

Believe you me- I've been in your position, several times. What I normally do is beg a friend for help- even if its to sit with my partner for a few hours- and spend the time sprucing up home. Sick people may not appreciate the effort you've gone to- but as they get better, they will notice all the little things.

What you can get is some powder for the carpet- shake it in, and vacuum- it gets rid of 10 times more dirt than otherwise, and smells nice to boot.

I appreciate fully where you're coming from- I've been in your boots more times than you will ever know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

get the landlord to come around early,you can hire diy carpet cleaners,at diy stores

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Received a notice saying the landlord wants to inspect the place to make sure there is no damage. There isn't any, but a couple of the carpets could do with a clean. I don't have much time at the moment, and will probably need to ask them to come sooner than the seven days' notice they gave. I don't want them coming when my unwell partner comes out of hospital.

So do I need to clean the carpet before they inspect the place, or is this a non-issue until we're actually leaving etc.?

No, you are under no obligation to clean the carpet unless by not doing so you are damaging it. In other words, if it is really manky then you should clean it otherwise you'll never get it clean when the dirt is embedded.

Also, your landlord cant dictate when they inspect. It must be by mutual agreement. If you have too much on tell them you will agree to a visit in 2 months, or whenever suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Also, your landlord cant dictate when they inspect. It must be by mutual agreement. If you have too much on tell them you will agree to a visit in 2 months, or whenever suits.

Agreed. Under normal circumstances 7 days notice of an inspection is quite generous, but the inspection is to be arranged on your terms, and if you have a partner coming out of hospital then you would be well within your rights to tell the landlord to come back in a fortnight or so when things have calmed down. Unless they have reason to think that you are damaging the property and need to inspect immediately, I dont think that is an unreasonable request.

Advertisement