Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP recommendations

Options
  • 28-01-2014 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Any suggestions for a family GP in Clonsilla/Coolmine/Blanchardstown/Carpenterstown?

Would be a big advantage if they do evening/weekend appointments.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Some recommendations in this thread. In know the doc I mentioned does evenings (5-7pm) each weekday except Wednesday and 11-12 on Saturdays. I find him excellent, the only quibble I'd have is that it's first come, first served, you can't make appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

I'm on the lookout for the same with an emphasis on evening appointment availability, ideally in and around Clonsilla. I've attend the medical clinic in Clonsilla with mixed results and would like to move elsewhere.

I've walked by Dr Tony MacDonald's surgery in Portersgate of an evening and there always appears to be a few bodies lined up waiting, anyone got an opinion on this practice?

When I moved to D15 I knew nothing about the local doctors and just went to one near me. She turned out to be a thundering cow and after my second visit there I decided I needed a different doctor. I literally just picked Tony MacDonald's from the Golden Pages and definitely got lucky with him. He's got an excellent bedside manner and is very easy to talk to, even about potentially embarrassing stuff. He doesn't come across as one of those doctors who make you feel like you're taking up their valuable time when they could be playing golf instead. As I said above, the only downside is that you can't make appointments, so sometimes it can be a bit of a long wait for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

I can recommend Tony also. He is very good and great with kids. He always asks about the other family members. The Saturday mornings and evening appointments are handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah, Tony is a fantastic doctor. I had an amazing doctor before I moved to Dublin and I didn't think I'd find one like him but Tony is just as good. The queuing can be a bit of a pain but I'm usually there early enough to get in and out quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Geoff Lavery at the Oakwood practice in Castleknock. An excellent all round Doctor, a young professional well on top of family and community medicine and he is a gent with a warm approach, great listener, great with young patients.

As a practice Oakwood is very good, young and modern, my OH has high regard for the other partners who are women. They all seem to have huge outside interests in the voluntary sector and research/advancement. They have a nurse, counsellor, physio and dietician on site and although its appointments only, I have never failed to get one the same day if you ring at opening time, or within 2 days for something less urgent.

Before anyone asks, no I have no connection other than being a satisfied patient on their books!

stevekavo wrote: »
    The Saturday mornings and evening appointments are handy.

Brief update: according to the message on the phone, the surgery is closed Wednesday evenings and there is no longer a Saturday morning service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Geoff Lavery at the Oakwood practice in Castleknock. An excellent all round Doctor, a young professional well on top of family and community medicine and he is a gent with a warm approach, great listener, great with young patients.

As a practice Oakwood is very good, young and modern, my OH has high regard for the other partners who are women. They all seem to have huge outside interests in the voluntary sector and research/advancement. They have a nurse, counsellor, physio and dietician on site and although its appointments only, I have never failed to get one the same day if you ring at opening time, or within 2 days for something less urgent.

Before anyone asks, no I have no connection other than being a satisfied patient on their books!

Geoff is a great GP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Larbre34 wrote: »

Nicola Black and Nina Byrnes at this practice are also fantastic.

I've also heard great things about Dr Peters in Littlepace.

Avoid the Meridian Clinic- both Roselawn & Ongar. <snip>

MammaZita, I've removed the final part of your post above. In future please avoid posting comments that could be considered libellous or defamatory.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Zaph wrote: »
    MammaZita, I've removed the final part of your post above. In future please avoid posting comments that could be considered libellous or defamatory.

Apologies I wasn't aware my comments were either. Points noted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭DvB

stevekavo wrote: »
    I can recommend Tony also. He is very good and great with kids. He always asks about the other family members. The Saturday mornings and evening appointments are handy.

Just as an update to this, Tony has no Saturday morning surgery at the moment.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

MammaZita wrote: »

Avoid the Meridian Clinic- both Roselawn & Ongar. <snip>

I don't know what you wrote that was snipped out, but I'd whole heartedly agree with avoiding them, especially the Ongar one. I had a not very pleasant experience with them and would never return to them.

DvB wrote: »
    Just as an update to this, Tony has no Saturday morning surgery at the moment.

Thats what I said ;)
    ...the surgery is closed Wednesday evenings and there is no longer a Saturday morning service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Thats what I said ;)

Humble apologies, i replied before reading to the end of the thread, slap on the wrist for me so!:D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

John Mc Dermott in the Healthwell Clinic , Clonsilla would be my recommendation.

Really thorough and nice bloke. Surgery is modern too and he keeps to appointments last time I was there ( A while ago mind you )

Used to use him until I moved to Kildare. BTW If anybody can recommend a doctor in Monasterevin PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭VB

just to jump onto this thread I'm looking for a recommendation for a good GP around the castleknock/ashtown area. I currently attend a large practice in castleknock but I'm frustrated at having to wait 2/3 days for appointments, waiting an hour or more beyond my appointment time to be seen and then being rushed out the door...grr...
    hopefully someone has a good recommendation, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

VB wrote: »
    just to jump onto this thread I'm looking for a recommendation for a good GP around the castleknock/ashtown area. I currently attend a large practice in castleknock but I'm frustrated at having to wait 2/3 days for appointments, waiting an hour or more beyond my appointment time to be seen and then being rushed out the door...grr...
    hopefully someone has a good recommendation, thanks!

Well Dr Aidan Ward at the castleknock clinic is very good. Appointments always seen on time generally if you call them at 10am on the day you want to see him they fit you in. He has another doctor there with him Dr Louise O'Hare and she is excellent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

jjbrien wrote: »
    Well Dr Aidan Ward at the castleknock clinic is very good. Appointments always seen on time generally if you call them at 10am on the day you want to see him they fit you in. He has another doctor there with him Dr Louise O'Hare and she is excellent too.

Can second that, Aidan a good doctor and a nice guy, He's also a chiropractor, done a great job on my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Can anyone recommend a good GP in Dublin 15 one that is particularly good with teens and mental health issues?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

I went to Dr McDonald in Portersgate a few weeks ago and would recommend him to anyone regardless of age, mental issues or status otherwise. He knows his stuff, he's easy to talk to, and he doesn't have any sort of a condescending tone whatsoever, like may doctors do. I chose him from references here and when my work medical is due he'll be my new GP on the file.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I must disagree with some of this, I am an long standing patient of Dr McCarthy at the Meridian as are my mam and dad and my good friend. I find her excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tuathanach

May have already been said but whatever you do - avoid Meridian Clinic in Ongar. Absolute shambles of a place! :)

May be a good doctor or so in there but overall - it's a nightmare and I'd never be back. I'm not one of those pompous folk with their head up their **** just that place has given me nothing but hassle since I used them and as such, i never will again

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

I can also highly recommend Dr Paul Quinn in Clonee Village. He is an excellent and has a friendly manner.

Sorry to say but have had a very bad experience at the Meridian in Ongar too. Definitely would not recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tuathanach

RoiSoleil wrote: »
    I can also highly recommend Dr Paul Quinn in Clonee Village. He is an excellent and has a friendly manner.

Sorry to say but have had a very bad experience at the Meridian in Ongar too. Definitely would not recommend it.

Seeing that it seems I'm not the only one with this impression of Meridian - I thought I would share a bit from my own experience!

Basically on two occasions I have visited the surgery and been charged a huge amount of money for nothing – the receptionist (if she is still there and no offence if a friend of anybody on here) is disgusting; she has zero manners, she shouts at you and is the most unhelpful human-being I’ve encountered thus far in my short life! I went to the clinic with symptoms and requiring various tests for something which is hereditary and causes me a lot of anxiety – the initial tests were done and went on to be fine, I then did secondary tests and the doctor never called me back when the results were in – I had to call them to find out and the secretary sighed as if I was nothing more than a bother to her. Secondly, I went for further tests and the clinic seemed to have lost the results – I was assured they were still being processed etc etc – two months had passed and I was still experiencing symptoms but having been quite a low-earner at the time I could not afford to go elsewhere and start from scratch. It got to a point where I was calling daily and being shouted at by the receptionist – telling me that she had told me they weren’t ready, to stop phoning etc etc. I wouldn’t have been phoning had 2 months not passed yet she was adamant the results were being processed. Interestingly enough – she had no record of the test which I had taken under my file and only ‘remembered’ when I specifically detailed the test which I had taken.
    I went on to involve the authorities due to this disgraceful service and my worries and I sent a breakdown of every call logged (thanks to itemised phone billing) as well as responses, dates, I had kept note of the number from the sticker on the test samples etc and put a big e-mail together directed to the doctor, receptionist, upper management at Meridian and the authorities who had advised me to do so. Miraculously, that day my test results were in (when I sent the letter) however I had requested that they were sent to me in writing and I authorised this in my e-mail as I wanted proof. They refused to send in writing due to confidentiality even though I had requested this in writing and was signed – but hey, I can accept that. The upper management wrote me a big apology explaining that the tests had literally just arrived that day. The doctor then called me to go over the tests and he said the test results had arrived just 1 week ago and apologised for delay in getting the information updated. So what was it? That day or 1 week ago? I still don’t even know – infact I am certain they were ‘made up’ ‘negative’ results as I did later go on to have further testing done at another place and in fairness, the results were also negative but indicated possibility of something else and I do wonder why Meridian’s test did not pick this up? Luckily all is fine – but I would never go near the place again. I may be a hypochondriac about cancer having had many young victims in my family and I expect to be treated well even though I’m young and for my issues to be taken seriously – not dismissed. I cannot prove that the test results were made up due to the fact that they refused to issue me a document confirming the result, testing, laboratory where tested etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'll put in another vote for Oakwood, particularly Geoff Lavery. Absolutely fantastic GP, he's always been extremely helpful when I've had any sort of an issue, with a fantastic manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I'll put in another vote for Oakwood, particularly Geoff Lavery. Absolutely fantastic GP, he's always been extremely helpful when I've had any sort of an issue, with a fantastic manner.

He did a stint in the Meridian Clinic Ongar and I also found him very good with a great manner. I was sorry when he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

Can anyone recommend a good family doctor in dublin 15 clonsilla?

baegan, I've moved your post to this thread so you can find it, and I've deleted the posts in the other two threads. I'm not really sure how you managed to find three 5 year old threads and not this one tbh. Also please don't post the same thing in multiple threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Has anyone ever had their GP retire on them?

Our GP, Dr Lyons in Corduff is retiring and there has been a doctor for a while doing her work and is taking over.

We all signed a form to agree to change over to her, but my brother and I got a letter (three month trial or something along those lines) and now a medical card for Dr McGonagle in the village.

We never asked for or signed over to move, so can they just move people?

Advertisement