Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not being treated well in work.

Options
  • 28-01-2014 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya, this is a question for a friend.

Basically, he's wondering what the correct procedure is in his situation regards making a complaint, etc.

He works as a manager in a large company, although his branch only has him and one flexitime staff member.

There is an area manager and owner, no hr dept.

He's been working there for a few years (it's retail, if that's relevant), and works alone. His daily shifts are either 8.5 or 10.5 hours.

He never received a contract or written terms of employment. He has received four payslips, although he checked with revenue and all tax is being paid correctly.

He does not receive breaks. He is not allowed to close the shop for a break. If he's lucky, he'll get five minutes to go have a smoke or go buy a drink.

The kicker though is that he is deducted an hour of wages each day for breaks, breaks that he is not allowed to take. So if he does a 10.5 hour shift, he is paid for 9.5 hours but is not allowed to take a break.

He also works an average of 52 hours per week, based on his last 12 months of rotas. Pretty sure the lgal limit in retail is 48 iirc?

There are many other issues, such as being denied force majeure leave when an unexpected, severe illness hospitalised an immediate family member.

Anyway. He was going to hand in his notice, but I and his brother have advised him to raise a grievance with the owner first. The reason he is not doing it with the area manager is because his area manager is bullying him (in mine and his brother's opinion) and he is not comfortable approaching him for fear of being shouted abuse at (as is usual for the area manager).

His company has no written grievance procedure, so he doesn't know how to go about it.

He wants to follow proper channels in case this turns into an unfair or constructive dismissal case.

So, from my limited knowledge, he has to try to resolve the issues? Is an email of comlaint to the owner, followed by time to resolve the issues, sufficient?

He'd rather stay in the job but needs to be prepared for the worst. I've already told him to keep a noted and timed diary of events.

Anything else that needs to be done with regards to trying to resolve the issues, rather than quit?

Advertisement