Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lymphoma

• 28-01-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

hi everyone
    my beloved mull mastiff has lymphoma. a few months back we noticed lumps in her neck and almost overnight she had massive lumps all over her body. she has been on steroids for nearly 4 months to try keep it at bay (we didn't go for chemo). the steroids worked initially and the lymph nodes shrunk considerably but then started to swell again slowly but surely. we've had to keep upping the dose but she is now on the max amount and its having no effect whatsoever. i suppose im just wondering has anyone been in this boat? i know she is getting worse day by day. her breathing is fast and harsh and she has started to build up fluid in her abdomen. this last week she has gone really down hill. i know the end is near now but im finding it hard to come to terms with it. i really dont want her suffering but im clutching at straws that she might have a little more time. i dont want to make a rash decision to have her put to sleep. i dont know what to do. its heartbreaking.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

awman wrote: »
    i dont want to make a rash decision to have her put to sleep. i dont know what to do. its heartbreaking.

awman I am so sorry to read your post. I genuinely,hand on heart, know exactly the turmoil you are in right now. I went through this 4 years ago so I can help you somewhat by explaining what I went through with my dog.

My dog diagnosed in 2007
    Explaining my decision last year

As you opted for no chemo, which most people do,your dog is on the "maintenance" option which is generally Prednisolone a powerful steroid that will stem the progression for a short while.

Canine Lymphoma is one of the most common "cancers" dogs get and can be classified into either T or B cell related. This basically means which type of lymphocyte is involved (type of white cell) where T is more aggressive than B. I wouldn't worry about this part as this involves a process called "typing" and unless the Lymphoma was caught early (most aren't).

I went the chemo route, because I was extremely (I can't emphasise this enough) extremely lucky to have been in a position to do it at that time. I still to this day completely understand why owners opt for the maintenance route and therefore totally understand your choice. It's crazy expensive, time consuming and stressful for both the dog and owner. It wouldn't ever be an option I'd recommend unless it was right for both involved. :o

If you have read my 2 links above, I made the decision to put my buddy to sleep when she was in good form. For those who haven't read the link, my dog literally "gave the paw" for the last time.I can be ridiculously indecisive on a daily basis but this decision sits very well with me to this day.

Pred will only do so much, but Lymphoma is not curable. :(:( I'm trying to word this as sensitively as I can so I hope it comes across ok. You can have the final decision if you want to and that ultimately means having her very peacefully put to sleep when you feel ready. It's a horrendously awful decision to make as this disease is quite rapid in it's progression.

I made the decision as I said after 30mths of battling it when my dog was at the start of kidney failure. We'd been through enough...BUT I had so much time to process the info etc. That was my experience awman and I really do understand the awful turmoil you're in now.

If you've anymore questions please fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭awman

Anniehoo thank you so much for replying. since i wrote my post things have gotten worse. she is unable to get up unaided and hasn't gone out to the toilet all evening. I've spent the last hour lying on the floor beside her listening to her struggle to breath. i should have made the decision to put her to sleep before now. i can't believe how quickly she has gotten so bad. my husband is spending the night on the floor with her, i couldn't bear to listen to her struggle for another minute. i dont know if she'll make it through the night. im absolutely heartbroken. why did i let her get so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

awman wrote: »
    why did i let her get so bad.

You've loved and cherished her for her entire life.Her condition has done this, not you!

This is the most awful and terrifying part about pet ownership. :(

Take a breath and ask yourself what do you need to do now.

If you need an emergency vet right at this moment I'll help you out if you PM me. But, if you feel you're panicking and can't think straight (it's late) just hang on until tomorrow.

I'll be online for a little bit longer if I can help you in anyway.

:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You poor thing.
    This is the horrible part of pet ownership.
    In the past 3 years, I've lost one dog to liver cancer, she was flying around one day, and gone less than 24 hours later, and one dog to a breed-related respiratory failure, so I sort of feel I can understand what you're going through now.
    I wish I had helped both of them a few hours earlier than I did. Both started to slide away from me in the middle of the night, both got into trouble with their breathing, especially the wee man with the lung condition, but I procrastinated and dithered about calling my vet out at an ungodly hour. I should not have waited.
    Awman, if I was to go through it again, with both dogs, I'd have called the vet out to both in the middle of the night, and not waited til morning.
    If this is what you have to do, do it. Don't let the time of day stop you. I know how wrong and how soul-destroying it feels to make that call... But if she's having serious trouble breathing, you need to help her soon.
    Good luck. My heart breaks for you.
    :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

It's just heartbreaking to read this, so sorry that it's happening. Just remember, vets are on call for a reason so don't feel like you are disturbing them by calling them if you feel that's the right choice. I had to ring the vet at 5am one morning recently and when I went in the next day he said he'd rather have a call in the middle of the night even of it's just to reassure the owner than get a call the next morning with bad news. You've given everything you can to your buddy, but I know it still doesn't make the decision any easier. I'll be thinking of ye tonight x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

OP I'm so sorry to hear what you and your dog is going through. I hope you both are OK this morning. X

thanks very much for the kind replies.
    we got through the night. i didn't think she'd make it but she perked up a little bit at some ungodly hour and drank a bit of water. she is unable to get up though, she has been lying in the one position since yesterday evening and can't get to her feet. we tried helping her up but she is just not able. so we have decided its time to let her go as much as it pains me to even type it. even this morning i was still running through reasons why we should wait just a little longer but im just being selfish. i know deep down its not fair on her now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I can offer no advice.... but just wanted to say Im so sorry for what you and your dog are going through, I can only imagine how hard it is for all of you... even the thought of my dog falling ill makes me panic..

Im sure you have done everthing you can for her, take care, both of you XX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

My thoughts are with you in this horrible and heartbreaking time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Really sorry to hear this, it's so hard to make that decision but ultimately, it's the last act of kindness you can give to your loyal friend. I find this link is a good way of deciding when the time is right, though it may not be for everyone as some people make the decision before their pet gets too sick. But for an animal that is in the dying process, it gives a good guide of when the time is right to help them on their next journey.

• Advertisement

thanks to all who replied. its all over, she was put to sleep today. im feeling every awful emotion imaginable. im just completely broken hearted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm so sorry awman.
    :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP,

I am really sorry to hear that OP but you did the right thing, she is no longer suffering etc...

Really sorry for your loss, no words can help at this time.

Take care of yourself.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I'm so sorry awman, I know it's terribly raw, but you did right by her. Not all dogs are lucky enough to have an owner like you. Thinking of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

so sorry for you Awman, but you know you did the right thing.

Its heart wrenching, but when the end is inevitable, its the last loving and caring thing you can do for your pet.
    You couldnt leave her to suffer for a minute longer - thats what being a responsible and caring owner is all about.

I had our collie put to sleep last autumn, and I still look for him every day, and when we are out walking, I forget for a second, and look for him. Like your mastiff, he went downhill so quickly it was shocking. But you knjow that even with the heartbreak of loosing them, you wouldnt have not had them and all the love and joy they bring you.

Advertisement