Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long does implant last

Options
  • 28-01-2014 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am considering several implants for myself and really want to know how long does implant last.

Most answers from internet briefly say it can be few years to a lifetime depending on many factors. Still, I want like to know an average value in most cases. Is there any creditable source for the answer?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The literature would show survival rates to be around 95% after 6 months and its drop about a percent a year after that.

The implant has three parts, the implant in the bone, the abutment bringing it through the gum and the crown on the top. The implant may last a lifetime the crown and abutment will last between 10-25 years on average.

Smokers have less long term success as some implants get a type of gum disease long. term. I tell my patients its like resetting the tooth. You tooth erupts when your young and can last a lifetime, it depends on how you look after it, your genetic makeup, smoking status, but unlike teeth it also depends on how well its is placed and restored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Crowns last p1ssing time anyway,4 years i got from mine

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Crowns last p1ssing time anyway,4 years i got from mine

The average lifespan of a crown is between 10-15 years, thats from millions of crowns done in the US, we get the insurance data. A BAD crown last very poorly, or a crown placed on a tooth that is really too badly damaged to retain a crown. To extend your experience to all crowns is understandable but incorrect.

The average lifespan of a crown is between 10-15 years, thats from millions of crowns done in the US, we get the insurance data. A BAD crown last very poorly, or a crown placed on a tooth that is really too badly damaged to retain a crown. To extend your experience to all crowns is understandable but incorrect.
    I have had crowns on that particular tooth nearly 20 years,the first one lasted 12,and the other 2 lasted 8 years between them :(

Maybe the treatment plan need changing? 12 years for a crown is about average, 4 years is poor.

• Advertisement

Maybe the treatment plan need changing? 12 years for a crown is about average, 4 years is poor.

The first one was fitted in a dentist that only dealt with children upto 16 years and it was great,then 12 years ago i had braces,when the studs were being removed it damaged the crown,other than that it never once gave me trouble,every replacement since has though,cheaper materials due to cutbacks,poor workmanship????

The first one was fitted in a dentist that only dealt with children upto 16 years and it was great,then 12 years ago i had braces,when the studs were being removed it damaged the crown,other than that it never once gave me trouble,every replacement since has though,cheaper materials due to cutbacks,poor workmanship????

So maybe your position shouldnt be "Crowns last p1ssing time anyway,4 years i got from mine" rather that a good crown can last a decade or more (which you cant say about most things you buy) but a bad one is not great

So maybe your position shouldnt be "Crowns last p1ssing time anyway,4 years i got from mine" rather that a good crown can last a decade or more (which you cant say about most things you buy) but a bad one is not great
    The good one was fitted long before celtic tiger ireland,the last 2 were fitting bydentists "held in very high regard"yet both failed fairly rapudly for what they are,i have searched another dentist who has told me it will cost €80 to repair it again,i will give it one last go i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

80yoyo to fix a crown?? what exactly are they going to fix? a crown is a one off, specially made restoration. if it breaks then that's it unfortunately.
    if some porcelain had broken off, then it's just patching it up, but it rarely lasts a long time.

80yoyo to fix a crown?? what exactly are they going to fix? a crown is a one off, specially made restoration. if it breaks then that's it unfortunately.
    if some porcelain had broken off, then it's just patching it up, but it rarely lasts a long time.

It was an over the phone quote i suspect on examination it would rise

• Advertisement

Eh I think you have a white filling or Cap on your front tooth, a crown is a different thing, its a lab made hat that fits over a prepared tooth. The average lifespan for a white filling is about 4 years.

Eh I think you have a white filling or Cap on your front tooth, a crown is a different thing, its a lab made hat that fits over a prepared tooth. The average lifespan for a white filling is about 4 years.

I assumed crown/cap same thing to me tbh,i aint no dental expert

Its a common mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tooth_doc

i wish there was some way of posting pictures :-) of the teeth in question then we can take a look and have a better idea and could respond bit more accurately, in this day and age of smartphones a reasonably good closeup of teeth could be possible

tooth_doc wrote: »
    i wish there was some way of posting pictures :-) of the teeth in question then we can take a look and have a better idea and could respond bit more accurately, in this day and age of smartphones a reasonably good closeup of teeth could be possible
    i'll try it over the next day or 2,i'll PM YOU :D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tooth_doc

i'll try it over the next day or 2,i'll PM YOU :D

Ok :) check my home page gallery for the type of pictures that gives the best info:)

Advertisement