Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

growing avacado from seed/stone

• 29-01-2014 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Just wondering when is best time of year to do this, also planning a mango seed too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Any time you have an avocado seed! :-) You will be growing it indoors and it will effectively be a house plant, try starting it in a hyacinth glass if you have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

ta looksee,
    have it on the cocktail sticks dipped in water a good few weeks now but nuttin happening, is it a waiting game? :confused::confused:

I suspect its a bit pot luck, I have had one grow like that years ago, but the odd one since didn't do anything, maybe they have been irradiated or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

looksee wrote: »
    I suspect its a bit pot luck, I have had one grow like that years ago, but the odd one since didn't do anything, maybe they have been irradiated or something.

What is it like as a houseplant?

More of a novelty than anything, nothing special, large glossy darkish green leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

no avacados?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭encore1

redser7 wrote: »
    no avacados?

You won't get any avo's for a few years...! I've grown a few but the toothpick thing never worked for me, all of mine were just potted into medium sized pots with multi purpose compost and they took that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It will work any time of year that the stone can be kept warm and damp, with its lower end in water or compost. (the rounder end)
    I have even had them germinate in my compost heap outdoors!
    However there is a random hit rate, some just wont grow, try a few and be patient, it can take a couple of months.
    The houseplant turns out a lanky tallish thing with a few large leaves, often a bit lopsided, and you won't see fruit in this climate. But its kind of a novelty trick to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

katemarch wrote: »
    It will work any time of year that the stone can be kept warm and damp, with its lower end in water or compost. (the rounder end)
    I have even had them germinate in my compost heap outdoors!
    However there is a random hit rate, some just wont grow, try a few and be patient, it can take a couple of months.
    The houseplant turns out a lanky tallish thing with a few large leaves, often a bit lopsided, and you won't see fruit in this climate. But its kind of a novelty trick to do it.

Thanks. Think the bit i was missing was the temperature. Dark hot press ok? Can move once sprouted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

You'd need to keep it till it became a tree to get fruit. It needs a very warm climate. There are varieties that will grow and produce fruit outdoors in cooler climates but the fruit is smaller and you'd have to get someone to send you a seed from the us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

It can take a while to germinate but once it sprouts it grows so fast. You can almost see it growing. Almost. There is a noticeable change every hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The glass method worked for me after a few tries, think it was a mid summer sprouting though, but as mentioned earlier they sprout all the time in the compost heat. Maby put the glass into the propagator along with the tomato seeds to keep the heat constant.

I had mine on a south facing window, double glazed, above a radiator and water from the bottom with a tray under the pot. I fed it an organic liquid feed, like I do all of my house plants. Sadly it passed in its 3rd winter and I think it just got too cold for it some night, it wasn't over feeding or overwatering so I'm not really sure why the plant died.

I have had great success rooting the tops of pineapples in the same position, so the position can suit tropical plant. I'm still waiting for bananna's on my Japanese bananna:D

Advertisement