Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

organic farming

Options
1798081828385»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,364 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Organic is fine esp if you can dovetail with Acres. Organic first then pick Acres items that don't overlap. Problem for many is that there in Acres now. This may limit the organic payment too much, to make it worthwhile. Lot of beef farmers who spread little fertiliser, would be better off changing to organic, but each case is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I blame the very heavy rainfalls and down pours, its knocking the nutrients off the top of the soil.

Gran lime is very effective against the buttercup, but even if you spread now you won't see the difference till next year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah thanks, I was thinking gran lime alright. Would late in the grazing season be the best time to spread?

No, I found it better to spread in early summer, it sits on the ground longer and is slower to go into the soil. Spreading gran lime at the back end of the year you risk it being washed out of the soil come spring time.

Ok thanks for that, I better order some soon so. I'm assuming it's no issue grazing animals too soon after applying seen as it's fully water soluble?

• Advertisement

I spread some of the subsidy lime 2 weeks ago. Cattle grazing it now. It would be slower and longer acting than the gran lime.

no grazing issues, just make sure to get the gouldings granlime, I know theres other limes out there that are not certified for use in organics due to the way they are manufactured

I was looking at this one from fruit Hill farm, no approval for usage needed provided recent soil sample results can justify it. Is it much different price wise from the Goulding's stuff?

https://www.fruithillfarm.com/granulated-lime.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Its quite productive and palatable for spring grazing, cows graze it preferentially over grass. Topping, granlime and a dry summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Well Gouldings is about 260 a tonne, there was granlime from the North around last year in the co-op that was certified by OF&G (UK certification body).

• Advertisement

Seems very expensive when you consider that the White Rhino Agri Hydrated Lime Tonne Sack is 270.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

Did many get paid their balance? Nothing arrived here yet. AIB.

Can't be bothered to fire up the laptop to check on Agfood... (won't load on phone)

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭893bet

not here yet

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

Nothing here yet either ,but they have to make a deduction for the acres actions in my case so that will be interesting to say the least!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

Should I top the long light grass or leave it?

Grass is high,long trawneens mostly and some thistle, flowers too.

I'm rotating, cattle, and have understocked. They're only eating the good stuff and trampling which is fine.

Is it better for sward, soil and nature to leave it at grazing or should I mow. I was thinking topping could create some organic matter but it'll kill all the flowers etc.

I could also cut some light silage, I'd rather wait till July for that for the sake of the insects and birds.

Cattle will be outwintered so this grass will eventually be eaten

Well I'm mob grazing, but I too am a bit understocked because heavy cattle were too dear this spring. So, I move and graze every day. At a point I then jump a paddock (4 days grazing) when the sward is passing them out. Cut and bale that. You can, during the winter, either feed that in a round feeder, that's moved regularly, or rollout the bale and let the cattle eat and trample it. Just ideas to consider, everyone bakes their own cake.

Yes I may skip a field.

I move them every week or so, I'm relying on electric fences alot.

During the winter I have the shed open and a bale in it but they're not that interested.

I'm not pushed on making silage to sell, I'm fearing overusing the soil as I've no slurry or manure.

I don't know enough about and haven't done it, but some would set aside a field or two like that and use them as winterage.

It's a fine line when to know when to top really. It's always good to top thistles as they add great amounts of nitrogen into the ground when topped.

I topped two grazed paddocks two days ago for this reason, also to cut rushes and try to control the creeping buttercup, I would normally leave this until July though but my fields aren't being inspected for ACRES until next year so I have a chance to do a bit of tidying.

With all that said, you could probably get away with leaving the fields and saving on a bit of diesel, as you say the cattle with eat it anyway.

• Advertisement

Creeping buttercup and creeping thistle are an issue this year for me. Seem to be mostly in fields from where I took silage last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

Organic balancing payment in account ystrday.Thought it would take longer.election must have helped

Not really, 5 days earlier than last year's balancing payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,513 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Consider topping while cattle are in the field paddock. Do it especially as grazing slows if grass is stemmy. Late May/June is the critical time to graze out or top grazing areas. If you have excess grass topping will slow the next rotation and improve quality of grass.

With organics store cattle are going to be expensive. Too many went in to it just looking at the payment and had no plan. Worse you cannot buy non organic stock do them to organic standard and sell them conventional. You need more lads going into organics that will breed stock. It will get worse before it gets better.

There is a solution but it's heresy calves from the conventional dairy herd switched to organics at three months or less. Winer for organics winer for the dairy side, but sorry no chicken dinner.

Probably a tad early yet. Growth is too strong and you would have meadows in August. Probably start of August is the ideal time to start doing that depending on your land. If you had craggy light soul land you could start earlier

Slava Ukrainii

Not only was there a lack of stock this year for new enterants into organics but the amount of p1ss poor cattle in the organics system drove the price of anything half decent through the roof.

You needed a plan going into organics, and have to realise that a lot of the stock are from tradition or rare breeds. I hope there is a push to market the Organic beef a bit better now that there are more beef finishers involved now. Before there was always the excuse that the supply wasn't constant.

Anyone getting into organics should buy conventional stock before the start. Unless you want to go for niche, yes keep away from rare breeds. A good few may not fancy carrying fairly heavy unfinished cattle into the winter, that's my hope anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭clonagh

Is lamb milk replacer GM free?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭cute geoge

How did you fare with the poor growth all along ,I have been spreading 25 units of N after grazing and only for long rotation of 35 days would be goosed.what do you do to keep the grass ticking over ,you must be all heads at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭trabpc

That's exactly the situation at the moment Silverdream

Poor organic stock making silly money!

Have feeling some will get well burnt at far end

• Advertisement
Advertisement