Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank loan

Options
  • 29-01-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I have a bank loan for 6 years now. I had to reduce the payments a couple of times out over 5 years again. Is there any way I could write off the loan or offer them a payment to pay off my loan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can try but your chances are extremely, extremely slim particularly if you're still paying more than the interest. If they offer any deal they will want to pry in to every single detail of your finances at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

And here i am still waiting to hear on a bank loan application for the last 14 days,no sight nor sound of anything from them

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mikeyshragh

MYOB wrote: »
    You can try but your chances are extremely, extremely slim particularly if you're still paying more than the interest. If they offer any deal they will want to pry in to every single detail of your finances at that.

They sent me a letter saying the wanted me to close my bank account and pay the remaining balance on my loan which is 9000

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mikeyshragh

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    And here i am still waiting to hear on a bank loan application for the last 14 days,no sight nor sound of anything from them

I'd never use the bank for a loan. U should use the credit Union.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

whats the loan for is it secured or unsecured,if you have been paying on time they cant ask for repayment at once

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/loans_and_credit/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

I'd never use the bank for a loan. U should use the credit Union.

Dont have a credit union account sadly,and i need to have savings before i can apply for a loan i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

whats the loan for is it secured or unsecured,if you have been paying on time they cant ask for repayment at once

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/loans_and_credit/

He hasn't been paying it on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

OP, if you want the bank to write off some of your outstanding debt, you're best bet is to go down the Personal Insolvency route. This is the official process for doing just this. You may get lots of different advice on the internet, some bordering on (or blatantly!) criminal, but by pursuing the Personal Insolvency route, you are doing everything right, and nothing "bad" can happen you (there may be a lot of paperwork etc, but that's it). You may not even need to go down the whole route - the fact that you are engaging with the process might result in the bank simply doing a deal with you in advance (as it is a lot cheaper for them to do so in many cases).

Insolvency Service of Ireland website
    More info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

MYOB wrote: »
    He hasn't been paying it on time.

Where does he say that? He says that he's had to reduce the payments (presumably with consent from the bank) and is now looking to make a deal to clear / write it off

I'd say a new payment agreement is the more likely outcome myself

• Advertisement
Advertisement