Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schools Firhouse or Knocklyon

Options
  • 29-01-2014 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone could help me.
    I am searching for a primary school for my daughter in Firhouse or knocklyon.
    Can you tell me the best schools and why. I am starting from scratch as I am new to the area.
    thanks for all your help

regards
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Moving to Dublin County South - you'll get more area specific information there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Do you have a preference of traditional (catholic) primary schools, ET or gaelscoil?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jellab

Hi
    Thank you for responding
    I suppose I would like her to go to Catholic school.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

My daughter went to Scoil Carmel. My second daughter goes there next year. We always found them to be excellent. Any problems that arose were always dealt with quickly and my daughter came on leaps and bounds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Scoil Carmel is a solid primary school with a good ethos
    http://scoilcarmeljns.wordpress.com/

St. Colmcilles J.N.S.
    http://www.knocklyonparish.ie/parish-schools/st-colmcilles-j-n-s/

is another popular choice. DofE inspector reports are available online to read also.

There is considerable pressure on spaces in the area, hence the new schools being set up to cater for this. Get their name down straight away,

• Advertisement

thanks a million for those. Would the traffic from Ballycullen to knocklyon not be really bad in the mornings?
    Where are they building the new school and when

Thanks

The Gaelscoil and the ET school are to get new premises in the short term (both are up and running currently and already in big demand). Traffic is very bad around the Killinniny road in rush hour. Scoil Carmel doesn't start until half 9 to cater for this (ET starts at 08.30 to try to avoid it too).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Holy Rosary National School, Oldcourt.

I went there, as did my siblings and a lot of my friends who have children also send their kids there.

Really lovely school, fantastic teachers, wonderful principal, great ethos and just generally a wonderful school.

If I had children, Holy Rosary would be my number one choice.

Thank you I will go onto all their websites and have a look then contact them

Best regards

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Google Whole School Evaluation and the schools name to see if the Dept. of Education has carried out an inspection of the school. For example, here is the one for Scoil Carmel: LINK

You could check if the school is a Deis school or not. Here is an article from the Independent on them: Disadvantaged schools 'improving', as to why this might be important. I know this is a generalisation of schools but it something else to consider.

Also, you might want to figure out which secondary school your daughter will attend and then check which primary school is a feeder for it. I know it is a long way off but it could impact your choice for primary school.

• Advertisement
Advertisement