Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

QUICK VIDEO QUESTION ON CANON 5D MK2

• 29-01-2014 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

I tried to record video in manual model the other day, 1/30 f5 iso 2000 because the day was dull. I watched the live screen and it looked bright, then hit record and the footage then dropped back to dull again. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

have you done other videos?

not sure why the video looks dark...

was it very dark??

upload some of the footage onto youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

Hi, in LIVE VIEW, when I was boosting the iso it looked as bright as I needed it. Its only when I hit the record button that it somehow didn't save my iso settings and dropped back down to dull again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Whammy!

The 5D MK II has a sensor on the back of the camera that adjusts the brightness of the screen depending on environmental lighting conditions. In dark conditions it dulls the screen to stop you being blinded by a super bright screen.

However your finger can cover the sensor and sometimes the camera just decides to change the brightness at the worst time.

You settings were not changed on the camera when you hit record. All that happened was the camera changed the brightness of the screen.

aha ok, I'll try it again. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I'm pretty sure it's caused by the Live view settings. There are a few options, like; 'exposure simulation' and 'movie display'. I can't remember which option you need off the top of my head. Try switching between them.

As an aside; if you're shooting video you want the shutter speed to be 1/50th (or twice your frame rate) at all times (for normal motion).

Recommended ISO settings are multiples of 160 where possible (160, 320, 640 etc).

And manual focus, white balance, everything else really...

Any other questions, fire away.

• Advertisement

Thanks Daycent.

Ok, shot some video again the other day and the same thing happened. Video looked great on LCD and then hit record and it dropped dark again. I watched the footage backl on pc and it was like I never entered the settings in the first place (high iso etc..) Bit of a pain in the ass this :(

I didn't cover the sensor at the back of the camera as was suggested in post 4. But its niot the lcd, its just the footage doesn't come out as bright as it shows on the lcd. canon ned to do something about this.

Advertisement