Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academic References for Masters

Options
  • 29-01-2014 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Ok so I'm final year Arts and it seems UCD like you to have 2 academic references when applying for Masters courses. What is the best way to approach this?

Based on my results and other areas I know what two lecturers I'll probably ask. Is it best to email them in advance and then meet them in their office? Or should I just either email or turn up at their office?

As I havent done it before I'm not sure of the process, do the simply then print you a reference and give it to you or is it sent in via an online portal? Also is it ok if you use the same references if you're applying for more than one masters?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On a side note if you get decent references and have a 2.1 that meets the entry requirements are you basically guaranteed to get in or is there an interview process?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I asked one of my referees face to face and emailed the other. Both handed them straight into the office for the subject, I don't think they like handing the actual reference to you.

They'll probably ask you what MA you want to do and will tailor the reference to that so you might not be able to use it for others.

Entrance depends on how many people there are really, you'll have to submit a statement and a sample of your work probably. I don't know what they do if it's oversubscribed. Depends what MA you're doing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lajoie

For mine I sent an email to both. They both knew me well though, so there was never going to be a case of "who is she". I think if they know you, either way is fine. If they don't, maybe email and ask to arrange a quick meeting to discuss references - just so they can actually put a face to the name. In my experience, they don't mind being referee for a few courses... I think they expect it.

In most cases, academic referees send it directly to the office so it never comes into your hands. Once for a non-academic reference, the referee was required to sign across the sealed envelope to ensure I couldn't open it before I handed it in.

As for entrance, as the previous poster said I think it all depends on number of other applicants, the course and if you needed experience to get on the course. In my one there was a split basically between people who got 1:1 and people who got 2:1 with experience, but that was a very specific course and tended to have a lot of applicants. On the other hand, I've heard of masters that said you needed a 2:1, but based on the number of applications they received, they let 2:2 onto the course too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I emailed one of my lecturers and he said grand.

How does the reference work though, do they give you a letter or send a letter to the other department / university? (I'm applying to a different university)

Usually for academic references, it's all done between the departments and never comes into your hands. Either their details are provided on the application and the university contacts them, or the referee emails the document personally - it should be specified on the application process which is required.
    Other courses will only request references after they have ensured the basic requirements are met (grades etc), as opposed to getting a glut of unnecessary paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Thanks for all the responses, so will the lecturers mind if I'm submitting for more than one masters?

Also I recently noticed one of the masters I was applying to is run by a lecturer I was going to ask for a reference from, can I still ask him or is it a conflict on interest? I only ask as he specifically mentioned to me last semester that he could see me getting the equivalent of a 1.1 in a MA.

• Advertisement

I definitely don't think they'll mind you applying to more than one masters. It's a sensible thing to do and unless you're applying for all sorts of subjects, it'll be evidence that you have a focus on the area you want etc.

I'm not certain about the conflict of interest thing... I definitely think there's no harm in asking him! If he says no, he might be able to suggest an alternative person for you? Which subject area is it in, just out of curiosity? I did my undergrad in Arts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Theres two that I've been looking at:
    http://www.ucdclinton.ie/academicprogrammes_ma2
    http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/Media.pdf

Still not 100% about what I want to do but I'd like to work in the media, specially radio. My BA is in History and Politics.

Advertisement