Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very strong winds developing south, east; storm watch late Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Constant level of rain now in Lahardane, Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

West Limerick.

Southerly wind.
    Snow shower.
    3°C on vehicle thermometer.
    Road surface damp but with patches of water where drainage off the roads is poor.

Last report for a few hours as now st destination. Need to get the head down as have to be up and about early in the morning.

Will have a tidal report from Kerry in the morning.

G'nite all, see you all in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

First serious gust of this system just now in South east Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

It's getting windy here in Dunmanway. I suppose this is the start of the windstorm. I hope there won't be bad flooding in Cork. I always worry about my children as the place they work at often gets flooded and they have a very early start and have to cross the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Seems to have calmed down a lot in Achill now, presumably beacause the eye of the storm is approaching us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Yes, the centre (945 mb) is near 55N 14W and there is considerable lightning being detected around 50 miles off the west coast from north to south (as of 0430z). Expect winds to peak around 0900h west, 1200h east. Guidance so far has not changed much. Strongest winds at this time appear to be around 52-53N 12-14W so approaching Kerry and Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Lots of lightning in Galway! Very little thunder though so far.A good night to be wide awake.
    It was pretty windy but seems to be calmer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Big claps of thunder over Tuam ,. Forked lightning crawling across the sky. mad!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

Heavy sleet driven by decent gusts with a dusting of snow lying on the grass, 10 min from knock airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Snowing heavily again after a pause of a couple of hours, wind rising slowly and is blowing the snow around nicely, temps rising from a low of -1.2c at 1.43am to -0.4 now D.p -2.3, higest gust of 19.7 mph at 5.06 am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

We had lots of lightning a few mins ago here in Galway flashes every few seconds most ive ever remember seeing we seem to be doing really well for lightning in recent storms in Galway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Nice dusting of snow in Castlerea, Co.Roscommon but starting to rain heavily now. Quite windy too.

Winds are now about to turn more to the west and according to reports from K4 buoy the gradient remains very strong with the central pressure about 945 mb, location now 55N 12W.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

For Southern regions I have a feeling this storm will leave its mark.
    High tide soon in Cork

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Winds picking up here in Waterford City with a current average of 26km/h gusting to 65km/h.

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxlive.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

FYI there is a live data weather station in NUI Galway (which is fairly central to the city centre) here

http://weather.nuigalway.ie/

has previous 12 hour and monthly trends as well as the live stuff.

Rain has dropped a good bit here, though quite blustery. Was thinking of going out for breakfast but may shelve that plan :)

Lightning just now in south East Kerry.
    Gusts very strong but not exceptional at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

going to be many further systems in coming days according to overnight output.

Salthill Webcam. Floodwaters just pushing in now.
    http://www.seapointleisure.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Just up. Does not appear to be very windy. Did I miss it?

• Advertisement

No, peak winds around 0900h for Galway, then fairly similar speeds to about 1300h ... as winds turn more to due west and the strongest part of the storm moves inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

No, peak winds around 0900h for Galway, then fairly similar speeds to about 1300h ... as winds turn more to due west and the strongest part of the storm moves inland.
    Cool thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Woken up very early for a Sat morning here in Limerick, very windy right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Highest gust at 7am is 112 km/h at Valentia, which is in line with what the GFS has been showing for this time. I'd expect winds to peak on the southwest coast over the next 3 hours or so, perhaps rising to about 10 km/h above that. Nothing exceptional really.

Really looks like a shadow of it's former self now compared to yesterday afternoon and compared to other depressions weve followed in recent weeks. A ragged mess : http://sat24.com/en/eu?ir=true

It also seems that we've passed high tide now without reports of any significant coastal flooding, so hopefully that risk has now been reduced?

Valentia gusting to 61 knots at 0700h, a rather large increase over the previous hour.

As J.S. noted above, the south is going to get raked by this storm as its energy gets compressed towards the south, centre has passed the K4 buoy and is closing in on Belmullet although it may be 10:30 to 11:00 before the centre makes landfall (somewhat weaker by then, but the gradient will continue very strong across the south).

Mace Head had a gust to 57 kts around 0300h and has since been running closer to 50 kts but when wind direction changes from SW to W, expect much stronger gusts there.

I am hoping that the morning high tides were not worst case due to the timing, but we won't know until some reports come in (I had a look around regional forums, mostly just links to webcams).

If you do have to drive, please note that there will be a significant hazard of falling or fallen trees in parts of the inland south as the stronger gusts move inland. Some very squally and thundery showers are likely especially in west Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

Wind has really picked up here in Celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

High winds, wet and lots of lightning around 7am in North Kerry. Balllylongford and glin flooded and impassable according to radio reports

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Very calm here in Castlebar.

Pic of the docks in Galway via Galway Council4sHUi.jpg

http://ow.ly/i/4sHUi/original

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

vizualpics wrote: »
    Very calm here in Castlebar.

Starting to pick up now though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement