Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very strong winds developing south, east; storm watch late Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Winds picking up here in last half hour, high tide @12.30 could be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

No it is relatively calm here with an average speed of 20km/h gusting to 40km/h. I was expecting a lot different conditions this morning to what we are getting.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Reckon thats it for Waterford for the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Wind is savage here on the shores of Dunmanus Bay - it's all but impossible to walk into it. Massive waves and frequent, squally rainshowers. It's definitely a duvet day, although the triple glazed windows in the (west-facing) master bedroom are creaking and groaning alarmingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

The flooding in the city here in Limerick looks pretty bad - the surge must have come right up the estuary!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057138703

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very strong winds off the south coast

58 gust 76kt @ Kinsale Energy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Nothing noteworthy on the 10am report, a handful of west coast stations at gale force 8 or 9 but generally just gusty around the country. Max gust 61kts at Valentia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Winds seemed to have peaked for the west/southwest coasts. Highest gust on the 10am reports is 61 knots at Valentia (113 km/h). Kinsale energy is higher but remember thats an offshore oil platform with the sensor quite a bit higher above sea level.

Winds will pick up inland and in the east in the afternoon, but obviously not as strong for these areas.

I'd be keeping an eye on the next high tide too as seas should still be quite high then, potential for further flooding.

Valentina still gusting at 61knts (112kph) same as it was 3 hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

In Portmarnock here at the moment and it's been more wet than windy in the last half hour. Actually hoping for rain to stop and winds to pick as I'm hoping to head to the High Rock in the next hour or so for high tide.

Hoping to get a nice couple of shots but camera won't come out unless it's dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

A lot of flooding pic's from Limerick and others on Deric Hartigan's Twitter.

https://twitter.com/deric_hartigan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Steopo wrote: »
    Valentina still gusting at 61knts (112kph) same as it was 3 hours ago

I thought it might have been a little higher, but its pretty much in agreement with what the models were showing, which was nothing higher than around 120 km/h on the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

A lot of flooding pic's from Limerick and others on Deric Hartigan's Twitter.

https://twitter.com/deric_hartigan

Pretty grim. Can't get over how continuous and strong the wind is too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Thunder and lightning here in east Galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Lightning and a long rumble of thunder directly overhead here now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Drove/walked along the prom in Salthill and while the usual spots are flooded, it doesn't seem too bad. Leisureland, Coco Café, Mocha and Arabica seem to have coped better than last time out. The flooding was already starting to reduce considerably when I was there so the drains must be open and doing their job.

I did not venture into town. Heard reports of flooding in the usual places.

Spiddal is fine now, the council have cleared the stones and seaweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Winds picking up here in last half hour, high tide @12.30 could be interesting

Low tide you mean !?

Not in your location i see now .... oops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Next high tides Galway.
    6:25 PM / 5.39 m
    6:39 AM / 5.60 m

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Wet and windy in Athlone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 irlgw

Popoutman wrote: »
    Limerick Dock Road, Centra shop:
    1654657_734036363274675_1373111608_n.jpg?oh=d574d5514cb4d7686785596463c7dce2&oe=52EE388F&__gda__=1391384244_abf08a7038dc3cab0417558974caf927

Apparently came up over 5 min at about 07.15

gotta love the 'wet floor' cone!

Liffey is next flood risk to watch with high tides & high winds combining @ 12.30pm, fair bit of rain around as well which won't help. Might see a few parts of the quays closed for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Liffey is next flood risk to watch with high tides & high winds combining @ 12.30pm, fair bit of rain around as well which won't help. Might see a few parts of the quays closed for a while

Live webcam of Dublin city, Liffey is pretty high already

http://www.siptu.ie/media/webcam/

79knts @ Kinsale Energy, that's 146km/h

Wind picking up here.

Quite a notable gust there @ Kinsale Energy, must be a tight gradient just off land and obviously a few knots more due to it's height.

Sherkin was the highest land station gusting to 65kt (120km/hr)

Quite consistently strong at Shann Airport too.

Not too far off what i was expecting last night, a bit less intense along some coasts.

I expect peak winds for the east from 2-4pm

windgusts.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Great! I've to make trip from Dublin to that 120-135 km/h zone this afternoon :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Liffey looks very high , how much would you expect the high tide rise to be ?

291833.png

291834.png

291836.png

291837.png

291838.png

High tide due at around 12.30, so 30mins more to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

High Tide 12:31 PM 4.66 meters for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Liffey looks very high , how much would you expect the high tide rise to be ?

291833.png

291834.png

291836.png

291837.png

291838.png

Not looking good for Dublin City Centre the Liffey level is very high already :-(

Going by those pics with 30 mins to go I think you're looking at flooding - most likely East Link toll bridge, Victoria Quay, Sir John Rogerson Quay.

The good news is that it seems highest winds haven't arrived yet.

I'm off to brave the elements!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Hey guys, I've a bit of a decision to make. myself and my fiancee hav tickets to the rugby match in the aviva tomorrow and i booked a hotel room for tonight.
    We are travelling up from Kerry, i am undecided about whether we should go up this afternoon/ evening or cancel the hotel and drive up early tomorrow morning.

When should the storm die down do ye think? Would it be safe to drive today or should we wait till tomorrow morning?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement