Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very strong winds developing south, east; storm watch late Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

John.Icy wrote: »
    Not one even remotely very windy station on the 3am report. Has everything died down now or is it just that people on here just can't report on the weather without exaggerating plenty?

It really depends on where you are, people from Donegal down to Cork are used to strong winds and they really go unnoticed as being terrifying or scary as they are quite common around these months, people in the midlands and east who get the same winds or usually weaker and think they are a big deal as they are unused to them and overreact, we are a small country but the weather does differ a lot, we are probably getting stronger winds now in the north/south west going by the buoys, this is stronger than anywhere else in the county and you do not see people making a big deal about it, even if they do rattle the house, but it is not out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Xenji wrote: »
    It really depends on where you are, people from Donegal down to Cork are used to strong winds and they really go unnoticed as being terrifying or scary as they are quite common around these months, people in the midlands and east who get the same winds think they are a big deal as they are unused to them and overreact, we are a small country but the weather does differ a lot, we are probably getting stronger winds now in the west going by the buoys, than anywhere else in the county and you do not see people making a big deal about it, even if they do rattle the house, but it is not out of the ordinary.

Understandable I guess, a lot of it is probably due to the noise. An east wind will sound worse in Dublin than it will in Galway and so on but it wouldn't do much harm to check some nearby stations to see if sound is correlating to speed, because atm it's not very windy across a lot of the country, and we have seen worse plenty of times. Dublin and Casement have seen what, gusts of nearly 15 knots or more bigger this winter?

If it's windier by morning which I expect it to be when the main precip arrives to the East, and even Tuesday which looks very windy, what are the posts going to be like then?? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Level 1 for this thread shows these levels are useless if they are not kept up to date.

Seriously rough in Carlow now Gust of 83.3 km/h a little earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

It's definitely one of the quieter nights for me in comparison to ones over recent weeks. Which is a surprise because I can see the Irish Sea from my bedroom and I'm at 850ft in South Dublin. Just as I type, I hear the first creak in the house, whereas it creaked all night last night.

It goes to show how localised it can be. If I were on the southerly side of the mountain rather than the northerly, it could be quite a different night.

• Advertisement

Understandable I guess, a lot of it is probably due to the noise. An east wind will sound worse in Dublin than it will in Galway and so on but it wouldn't do much harm to check some nearby stations to see if sound is correlating to speed, because atm it's not very windy across a lot of the country, and we have seen worse plenty of times. Dublin and Casement have seen what, gusts of nearly 15 knots or more bigger this winter?

If it's windier by morning which I expect it to be when the main precip arrives to the East, and even Tuesday which looks very windy, what are the posts going to be like then?? :pac::pac:

Tuesday looks like it will mainly affect the south west with the strongest winds being in Kerry, Cork and Waterford with parts of Wexford and Kilkenny getting the brunt of it as well. Cork and Galway seem to have been the two most affected counties by power cuts since December and Louisburgh seems to lose power 9/10 times during the storms we have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Xenji wrote: »
    It really depends on where you are, people from Donegal down to Cork are used to strong winds and they really go unnoticed as being terrifying or scary as they are quite common around these months, people in the midlands and east who get the same winds or usually weaker and think they are a big deal as they are unused to them and overreact, we are a small country but the weather does differ a lot, we are probably getting stronger winds now in the north/south west going by the buoys, this is stronger than anywhere else in the county and you do not see people making a big deal about it, even if they do rattle the house, but it is not out of the ordinary.

It's a big deal because its an unusual event, because Western areas are used to it the buildings etc have seen this many times and have been maintained to sustain it.

We are only a few km/h off what I recorded on St Stephens night which took down some very larges trees close to me.

An Orange alert is place by Met Eireann how that doesn't equal at least a level 2 here is beyond me.

Villain wrote: »
    It's a big deal because its an unusual event, because Western areas are used to it the buildings etc have seen this many times and have been maintained to sustain it.

We are only a few km/h off what I recorded on St Stephens night which took down some very larges trees close to me.

An Orange alert is place by Met Eireann how that doesn't equal at least a level 2 here is beyond me.

The winds that we have now in Castlebar are around the same as I have seen when it has been a level 3 warning posted here, albeit they have been immense over the last few weeks at times when the level has been lower, it is just so hard to judge with people the speed the wind actually is and what they hear and feel it is, although the country is small, like I said the weather really differs from county to county, even from town to town in the same county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Not one even remotely very windy station on the 3am report. Has everything died down now or is it just that people on here just can't report on the weather without exaggerating plenty?

M7 Parking near J26.

The "L" and "R" roads have presented typical conditions as expected with current conditions. Gates blown open, wheelie bins relocated and small branch debris.

Blustery on the motorway.

Continual rain.

@John.Icy, from my point of view the reports I'm posting are from a person well experienced in bad weather and being out in same.

Inbound flights for Shannon have been holding pending a forecast reduction in windspeeds.

Shannon has reported gusts of 46 knots. One inbound flight which had just left a hold and is going to attempt landing cannot fo do with gusts > 30 knots.

So in conclusion, reports I'm reading here are in-line with what I'm experiencing, reading from supporting material e.g. esb powercheck and hearing from air traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

On a north west facing hill in north Kilkenny, so sheltered from the it, so the wind direction makes it ok.
    Not as strong as the storm the other day when top gust recorded was 76km/hr with sustained 41km/hr.
    Today so far top gust 71km/hr with sustained 26km/hr has been the strongest.

A storm with south east winds is not a storm here, thanks to the sheltering effect of the hills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Very very gusty here in South Tipp. Winds noticeably more gusty than at any time this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

West Dublin.

Windy, rainy with some gusts.

Dublin airport reporting gusts 26 knots.

Motorway driving was pretty ok but with crosswinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It is BAD in Cork City this morning - the wind is unreal and with heavy bursts of rain it's surely going to flood come high tide at 7.38am

Actually high tide is at 7.54am - around the time I leave for work...great

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Could any mod who happens along change our alert status to level 2? Thanks.

We can change the title later today to something like this:

Monday strong winds, heavy rain, floods; Tuesday night very strong winds and heavy rains add to flood risk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I'm in Portarlington ,Laois and the wind seems strongest we have had out of all the recent storms. Stuff in Garden has blown everywhere and kids playhouse has blown to other end of Garden and snapped my newly planted acer tree :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Latest @ Dun Laoughaire harbour

Wind Speed: 30.7 kts (F: 7 )
    Gust Speed: 54.6 kts (F: 10 )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Rain here in south Tipp very bad winds continue to gust. IMHO this is the worst morning of the winter so far here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Rain here in south Tipp very bad winds continue to gust. IMHO this is the worst morning of the winter so far here

Same in Tipp town, serious serious wind out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I'm in Clonmel and the rain and wind are terrible. I've never heard wind like it. I've been waiting for the electricity to go all night. Its definitely the worst its been. Please be safe everyone.

Partly what we're seeing is that southeast winds are hitting locations that may have been more sheltered during other events and are wide open to this direction. The weather station reports are generally not as high for gusts as various events in the past two months. But I believe that some locations are much more exposed to this new direction, and take note, the next event on Tuesday night could be 10-20 mph stronger and also from this same direction (in the initial stages, then it becomes more of a westerly gale by Wednesday).

Hopefully we will get this title updated to level 2 soon. I will post a map for the Tues-Wed event after the 12z model runs, for the current event it would be level 2 in all counties from Cork to Meath, level 1 for most of the west and far north although some places have dropped out of alert conditions now.

Would suggest that Rosslare, Arklow, Wicklow, Greystones and Bray might record some gusts above 120 km/hr by mid-day, if exposed to the south through southeast, prepare for some nasty gusts along that stretch of the coast. I'm fairly confident we will get a wide range of reports from the inland southeast and Dublin depending on exposure to the south.

Hopefully the gales will abate soon in Cork and mid-morning in Tipp, but they are likely to continue to about noon in Waterford to Laois, and much of the day further east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Hopefully the gales will abate soon in Cork.

Cork harbour here. Was savagely windy the last few hours (gusts of 60+ knots), but wind dropped like a stone about 15 minutes ago. Quite calm now, but rain is bucketing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Lovely day for the bed after night shift......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Severe flooding now in cork city!!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Extreme gusts here in Athlone

The current situation is likely to become increasingly severe through the morning hours from east Cork around the south and east coasts and well inland also, to about Dublin-Meath. Offshore reports show that the wind speeds are now increasing and this will likely show up soon on land to increase the current gales (SSE 70-110 km/hr) to 80-130 km/hr in exposed locations.

Expect some scattered wind damage, power interruptions, spot flooding in the downpours, and coastal flooding near high tides.

An ADVANCE ALERT is in place for another severe wind and rain storm expected to arrive from the southwest on Tuesday afternoon/evening. This one will rapidly spread 80-130 km/hr winds across large portions of the country with another interval of heavy rainfalls and coastal flooding.

In general, if planning to travel in the next 2-3 days, allow considerable extra time for delays and some severe flooding that could easily develop as all of this rain falls on already saturated watersheds, in all but perhaps some northern districts.

This thread may be merged into the previous thread at some point, in case you post and come back to check for updates. I wanted there to be a level 2 alert visible on our page at this point. In fact, a level 3 might be warranted in very exposed locations in the southeast, if you are close to the coast or in a very exposed inland location, be aware of potential for localized damage. High sided vehicles in some areas will face the risk of being overturned by cross-winds, avoid travel if possible on those routes exposed to a cross-wind from a southerly gale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Max gust of 52kts on the latest reports, as people have said its probably the unusual wind direction that's making it feel worse than usual as the met reports are nothing special, I know back home in Donegal a south easterly or northerly gale often feels more severe than storm force westerlies.

Tuesday evening and nights event looks like it could be quite severe again with 120kph gusts along the east coast, not too often you get an onshore gale in the east

nmmuk-11-45-0_zgh4.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Gust of 87km/h recorded here in Waterford City in the last half hour. This storm is on a par with or worse than anything we have seen this Winter so far.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Reports slowly coming in of bad flood damage in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Reports slowly coming in of bad flood damage in cork

That's terrible news.

Moderately blustery in South Donegal now. But as Harps mentioned above, wind from the South East is meet with deep suspicion up here 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Definitely sounds worse here than Sat but guess that's down to wind direction & maybe not the actual wind speed. Dublin airport @ 42knts @ 7am which I think is similar to Sat. Kinsale Energy @ 68knts gust @ 7am, it got up to 79 knts on Sat.

So maybe reported speeds won't be as high but as everyone has been saying the change in direction will mean different areas will have a very different feel to it than previous events

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement