Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very strong winds developing south, east; storm watch late Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

First model out, GME.

Looks bad enough.

@Midday

gme-0-24.png?31-12

@6pm

gme-0-30.png?31-12

GFS similar gradient.

GFS data shows a 65kt gust is likely in Dublin region tomorrow afternoon.

GFS also going for a rain to snow event later this evening and early tonight!

Looks like it is going to start off as rain.

12-574UK.GIF?31-12

15-574UK.GIF?31-12

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Strongest gusts on the 12Z GFS are along the far southwest coast, with a max of 70 mph (112 km/h) shown. Elsewhere general gusts of around 85-105 km/h south of Ulster, highest along south/west coasts.

It continues to look weaker than previous storms weve had this winter, on this model anyway.

12pm :

12_24_windvector_gust.png?cb=519

3pm :

12_27_windvector_gust.png?cb=519

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Eireann 1555 update

This evening and tonight will be cold and very windy. A band of heavy showers will spread east to all areas early in the night giving falls of hail and sleet with snow on hills. A risk of thunder also. Southwest winds will increase to gale force with some severe gusts later in the night. Sharp ground frost with the risk of icy patches by morning. Lowest temperatures of +1 to -2 degrees.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow Saturday, will be very wind or stormy. Showers will be heavy and wintry with further falls of hail and sleet. Southwest gales will be accompanied by some severe gusts - especially in the west and south, where there will be a continuing risk of coastal flooding due to high seas and tides. Highest temperatures of 5 to 8 degrees.

Outlook

Saturday night will see westerly winds continuing to moderate in all areas while backing southwesterly; showers will become isolated also and confined to Atlantic coastal counties. Sunday will start mainly dry and possibly bright in places, most likely in the east. However, it will become overcast during the day and outbreaks of rain or drizzle will spread north to affect many areas by early night; winds backing southerly will increase strong and gusty again everywhere also.

The first half of Monday is likely to continue wet and windy throughout the country but a clearance to showers and moderate, southwesterly breezes will come through in the afternoon. Monday night will be mainly dry with clear spells but it will turn colder, with frost and the possibility of ice in places.

Tuesday looks like being dry and bright for daylight hours, though staying cold; however, southeasterly winds seem set to strengthen significantly by early night, with heavy rain likely to spread north across the country overnight before clearing on Wednesday morning. The remainder of next week will most likely have no worse than moderate or fresh breezes and only scattered showers; many areas will have dry periods, with the chance of some sunshine by day but also frost developing at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=3.74,42.10,776

There are 130kph winds on it's southern flank. I can see this causing some flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Current position appears to be 56N 20W at 940 mbs.

This buoy should give us all the details on approach:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=62105

more from me later, planning to be on duty more or less continuously from 1800h to landfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Temps are taking something of a dive as you would expect. Just looking at the approach on Sat24 is it just me or does it look unusually slow moving for a system of its type?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

right now the wind is picking up in the past 15 minuets, rain bashing the windows, it had been lovely and sunny dry and calm an hour ago, but the change has come quick, the sky television is freezing now and then as it does in wind, tide look high

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 12s look slightly weaker overall for tomorrow.
    Stormy but nothing exceptional is whats showing at the moment
    Tide looks high here already with 40mins to go for high tide. The morning tide will surely flood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

and from here on in can people please post their location especially if using your phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

and from here on in can people please post their location especially if using your phone!

Blanch, but nothing ever happens here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I don't see how this is level3 alert and it never was. You only have to read Maq's posts to know

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hats199

Flooding at Spanish arch already.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

River was very high in cork city and high tide is at 5:57pm.

I think the level 3 is encompassing the coastal flooding threat.

Meteorologically just a level 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nidgeboy

will it be raining heavy in tipperary in the morning??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I think the level 3 is encompassing the coastal flooding threat.

Meteorologically just a level 2.

Perhaps the thread title should reflect that. It's misleading imo it implies an exceptionally extreme wind event is on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Two points, the slow forward motion at this time was indicated on most models and level 3 as carefully explained before applies only to sea level issues in the west and south. Nobody ever said this would be a level 3 windstorm, although I think it may be a solid level 2 for large parts of the south and west.

The forum has a lot of viewers in those counties most prone to flooding or surge damage issues and even if a dead calm was expected to prevail all day in Donegal, we need to get the word out to those readers so they can be further prepared (although it seems like other sources of information are on the same page).

Anyway, the moderators will surely tell me through feedback they get what their overall assessment is, so I don't really concern myself that much with any one posted opinion -- but I do factor in everyone's opinion equally and you would need to see my inbox to get a fuller picture of the range of feedback that I routinely receive for forecasts made here.

Anyway, it's my thread so it's my responsibility together with the forum mods who made the upgrade at my request since I couldn't edit the title at the time. If there was a level 2.5 I would go with that, if that helps. Maybe 2.49736, water up to your knees but not quite, well you know. Or maybe you don't. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The seek shelter tag line looks sensationalist and stupid. All it does in situations like this is adds fuel to those who accuse the forum here of over hyping things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Weathering wrote: »
    Perhaps the thread title should reflect that. It's misleading imo it implies an exceptionally extreme wind event is on the way

yeah I think a brief breakdown would help in the thread title, a lot of people who come on here will understand why level 3 is being used ( coastal flooding in the west/southwest) but a lot of people will see the level 3 seek shelter wording... still think that wording is slightly over the top.... and think armaggedon is coming, as we all know a 100 miles can be a world of difference when it comes to these types of systems in Ireland...I can see all the " what storm/ met eireann are a disgrace" comments already

• Registered Users Posts: 2 An Bradan Feasta

It looks like there are none of the buoys off the west coast are working south of Donegal. The ones we relied on are all showing no recent reports.
    K2 - M6 are gone now and M3 has never come back online.
    Hard to believe we are an island nation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

[
    Bullsh*t. Wisdom is being prepared for the worst, even if you don't expect it. Better off ready for worse than you get than battered by worse than you expect.

FWIW, I'm aware of voluntary rescue orgs in Galway & Dublin that've put flood alerts to their members. That should tell you what to prepare for.

Look, maybe I'm wrong about this storm but putting out unnecessarily high warnings only devalues them. The red alert is justified for coastal exposed areas only hence the thread title is misleading. Also much as I enjoy reading these threads some posters are total rampers. Its met eireann's job to be accurate and they are the accountable ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

howlinwolf wrote: »
    yeah I think a brief breakdown would help in the thread title, a lot of people who come on here will understand why level 3 is being used ( coastal flooding in the west/southwest) but a lot of people will see the level 3 seek shelter wording... still think that wording is slightly over the top.... and think armaggedon is coming, as we all know a 100 miles can be a world of difference when it comes to these types of systems in Ireland...I
    can see all the " what storm/ met eireann are a disgrace" comments already

Yes I agree that a certain amount people who don’t take the time to consume all the information here will always find some reason to freak out once the event is over but I think if you follow the instructions in the thread title you couldn't find a better visual of the breakdown of the potential for the next 24hrs.

Much more efficient than trying shoe horn that information into a thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Galway City Council say they are now seriously worried about this storm having consulted with Met E, they are expecting widespread flooding in the City and Salthill, I passed the docks a while ago and the ships are level with the quay wall. There was no wind yet the sea was coming over at Spanish Arch can you guess what its going to be like tomorrow with storm force winds and storm surge, the last storm was amber yet it devasted the Coasts of Clare , Galway and Mayo, I think if you live in these areas a red alert is justified

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Who names these storms, the pleb on 3e is after calling the storm Bridget.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Xenji wrote: »

Feast of St. Brigid tomorrow :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Someone from The Weather Channel in the US was on the radio during the week calling it Bridget too,so named as it's arriving in Ireland on the feast of st Bridget he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The Weather Channel in the UK took it on themselves to name it that after the saint's day (same ones that came up with 'Saint Judes'). It's not something used by any meteorological agency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

The wind's after picking up in the last hour or so, I'm in Galway city.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement