Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very strong winds developing south, east; storm watch late Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Met Eireann now on TV , wind will reach violent storm force 11 in the West does that not warrant a red alert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Clear skies in North Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Only for people in Dublin, sure we are used to it in the west :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A chilly one degree in Castlebar now. Light rain after some heavy sleety showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Just a matter of time before the first reports of wet snow in the west start rolling in

The people that got flooded in the last storm in Galway were very angry with ME on local radio the day after the storm, they said that they had survived the Red alert storm on Stephens day so with just the amber alert for the January storm they assumed it would be a doddle, they said given the damage caused if it had been red they could have taken precautions which no one did. Now if violent storm force 11 hits at high tide tomorrow the result will be devastation for Galway and Salthill and you will have people giving out that it was amber.

Leisureland suffered such damage in the last storm it may not be open for months

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Just had a heavy rain/hail shower pass though in Cahir. Winds have picked up quite a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Storm 10 you are spot on in that a red alert is warranted for the west and south. People forget that coastal west and south includes large cities like galway cork and limerick. All 3 are on the coast last time I checked well 2 anyway with limerick more inland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The people that got flooded in the last storm in Galway were very angry with ME on local radio the day after the storm, they said that they had survived the Red alert storm on Stephens day so with just the amber alert for the January storm they assumed it would be a doddle, they said given the damage caused if it had been red they could have taken precautions which no one did. Now if violent storm force 11 hits at high tide tomorrow the result will be devastation for Galway and Salthill and you will have people giving out that it was amber.

Leisureland suffered such damage in the last storm it may not be open for months

Remember the warnings are for wind speeds. If the models are not showing gusts over 130 km/h then there won't be a red warning. Whether the wind warning is yellow, orange or red is based on the winds speeds. There is no criteria for coastal flooding.

Coastal flood alerts are issued by the Office Of Public Works, not Met Eireann. In the UK the Met Office doesn't issue coastal flooding alerts, the Environment Agency does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Storm 10 you are spot on in that a red alert is warranted for the west and south. People forget that coastal west and south includes large cities like galway cork and limerick. All 3 are on the coast last time I checked well 2 anyway with limerick more inland

Even if it didn't include urban areas I can cite four examples off the top of my hear of significant damage to private property. Farmer in Mayo lost 2 acres of ground, all his silage, and 28 of his ewes. Locally to me one family lost their smokehouse business premises, their car & van, and I believe their house was also flooded. Another family lost their septic tank and polytunnel, another man lost €6,000 worth of fishing gear.

People often live very near the sea, sometimes building houses on sites of older cottages in times when travel by sea was more the norm.

I regretfully expect more damage this time again.

Remember the warnings are for wind speeds. If the models are not showing gusts over 130 km/h then there won't be a red warning. Whether the wind warning is yellow, orange or red is based on the winds speeds. There is no criteria for coastal flooding.

Coastal flood alerts are issued by the Office Of Public Works, not Met Eireann. In the UK the Met Office doesn't issue coastal flooding alerts, the Environment Agency does.

Maq do you not think violent storm force 11 deserves a red alert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Met Eireann now on TV , wind will reach violent storm force 11 in the West does that not warrant a red alert

I think she said possibly force 11. You'll be needing a new warning level colour if you keep over-hyping these storms :D Purple?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Seek shelter seriously needs to be removed from that warning. Overly sensationalist and verging on scare mongering.

Why not replace it with Avoid unnecessary travel or something else less doomsday like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Seek shelter seriously needs to be removed from that warning. Overly sensationalist and verging on scare mongering.

Why not replace it with Avoid unnecessary travel or something else less doomsday like.

As far as I remember it is not that easy, has to be forwarded to Admins and changed at root. Not like you can edit it when creating thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Utter nonsense :rolleyes:, it was the high tides that concentrated the minds in Galway in early January. I know many of the business owners in Sathill and we knew it would not be a "doddle". And we know it wont be a "doddle" tomorrow with the spring tide! It wont be ME's fault...<snip> Attack the post, not the poster please

How about be ready?

And can someone please give me a good reason under preparation is better than over preparation?

There is no such thing as "just right" preparation. Or "as little as possible" preparation.

Suck it up, bite your tongue, accept you have to be prepared for the worst possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

How about we hold fire until this time tomorrow and see then whether it warranted a red or not

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Can we talk about the weather, and not what alert it would be? I just had to sift through 2 pages of arguments on what alert this storm should be..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Blustery in west Mayo (louisburgh) with heavy wet snow falling.I'm at sea level.one mile from the coast.didn't expect this.

How about we hold fire until this time tomorrow and see then whether it warranted a red or not

And if it didn't warrant a red, it'll be considered a good practice run for when it does warrant a red.

Doing more than needed at an instance is *never* a bad thing re: weather preparedness.

Maq do you not think violent storm force 11 deserves a red alert

Looking at the latest EURO4 I see storm force winds touching the exposed southwest coast with violent storm force out at sea. I haven't seen a model showing winds reaching violent storm force on the coast, but Met Eireann have better access to models than we do.

14020109_3112.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

As far as I remember it is not that easy, has to be forwarded to Admins and changed at root. Not like you can edit it when creating thread ;)

That's fair enough, Should maybe be looked into in the future. Sensationalist headlines might put people off the weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That's fair enough, Should maybe be looked into in the future. Sensationalist headlines might put people off the weather forum.

I doubt that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Can we talk about the weather, and not what alert it would be? I just had to sift through 2 pages of arguments on what alert this storm should be..

The alert text is preset and can't be changed - well not tonight anyway!
    We can definitely look at this again but for tonight can we get back to talking about the weather

Thanks guys

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Utter nonsense :rolleyes:, it was the high tides that concentrated the minds in Galway in early January. I know many of the business owners in Sathill and we knew it would not be a "doddle". And we know it wont be a "doddle" tomorrow with the spring tide! It wont be ME's fault...<snip> Attack the post, not the poster please

They were interviewd on RTE news and were angry about an amber alert, I give up will finsh on this post

Huge waves out at sea tomorrow morning, 19m (62ft) significant wave heights. Individual waves would be even higher.

The only good news (I think?) is that the big waves don't seem to be reaching the coast until some hours after tomorrow mornings high tide, so that should reduce some of the risk of coastal flooding.

sw_frame_012.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

They were interviewd on RTE news and were angry about an amber alert, I give up will finsh on this post

So...if they were flooded/had their proprty damaage and there was a red alert...they'd be happy enough? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Weathering wrote: »
    I don't see how this is level3 alert and it never was. You only have to read Maq's posts to know

OPW have been distributing sandbags in Co. Kerry.

With breeches in sea defences for those in the potentially affected area it is indeed a Level 3 warning.

Did you not see MT's map :confused:#

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88751603&postcount=87

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement