Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very strong winds developing south, east; storm watch late Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Wet snow, being blown hard here. Starting to accumulate on cars and grass, wind is howling a little in the chimney. Briefly turning to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Wet snow, being blown hard here. Starting to accumulate on cars and grass, wind is howling a little in the chimney. Briefly turning to snow.

Where's here??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Bit of rainy sleet in Limerick, you could see on the car window it wasn't just rain. Wouldn't like to have to be outside, cold and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Any chance of snow reaching east coast ?

Nope, we are keeping it all for ourselves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Any reports of snow in kerry or cork? im in north of cork city on fairly high ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

aisling86 wrote: »
    Where's here??

Eh east galway. 160ft asl !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Castlebar

24fgpea.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What time is it going to snow in Cork?

I don't live there, but I thought I would save a lot of people some time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snowed in Carraroe connemara and hour ago, heavy enough but turned to rain after 30 mins some on cars though and the sea is only a stones throw or a snowball's throw if I have enough for one, made video but it's shy t so I await another blizzard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

pauldry wrote: »
    Snowed in Carraroe connemara and hour ago, heavy enough but turned to rain after 30 mins some on cars though and the sea is only a stones throw or a snowball's throw if I have enough for one, made video but it's shy t so I await another blizzard

Good luck out there mate. Hope you don't get much damage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

keith16 wrote: »

Around 2130....that's the year not the time! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

According to a very recent run of the Arome weather model run by Norwegian met, Galway is forecast to have winds of 24 m/s wind on Saturday 1.2.2014 at 11h00. The same model predicts a max of 21 m/s at 14 and 15h in Cork, and 21 m/s from 14h in Dublin.

Why doesn't met.ie use Arome running it in the cloud? - the software can produce very high resolution forecasts which requires massive amounts of computing power at times. An ideal cloud application.

Arome software is available free to countries that use HIRLAM (eg Ireland). HIRLAM is 30 years old. Time to replace it.

Why are Irish weather forecasts so imprecise? The reports at met.ie don't show time of day forecast variations for temp, wind, etc. No indication of how many litres of rain water per km2 forecast in each area (colours on maps) in what probably is the wettest country in Europe. No meteograms (charts showing forecast temp, wind, pressure, cloud cover, time of day, etc all in one chart).

They are capable of forecasting these details as can be shown for wind in http://www.eirgrid.com/operations/systemperformancedata/windgeneration/ but the data is kept hidden from the public by met.ie for some reason! One wonders why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Keith, the Cork Snow Shield (CSS) has been deployed. Its extra well secured to prevent it being blown or washed away and its a most effective device :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Just looked at Meteoradar - not showing any snow oddly!, but MAD amount of precipitation over Ireland, almost covering the entire country! Raining something "serious" here in North Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Impetus wrote: »
    According to a very recent run of the Arome weather model run by Norwegian met, Galway is forecast to have winds of 24 m/s wind on Saturday 1.2.2014 at 11h00. The same model predicts a max of 21 m/s at 14 and 15h in Cork, and 21 m/s from 14h in Dublin.

Why doesn't met.ie use Arome running it in the cloud? - the software can produce very high resolution forecasts which requires massive amounts of computing power at times. An ideal cloud application.

Arome software is available free to countries that use HIRLAM (eg Ireland). HIRLAM is 30 years old. Time to replace it.

Why are Irish weather forecasts so imprecise? The reports at met.ie don't show time of day forecast variations for temp, wind, etc. No indication of how many litres of rain water per km2 forecast in each area (colours on maps) in what probably is the wettest country in Europe. No meteograms (charts showing forecast temp, wind, pressure, cloud cover, time of day, etc all in one chart).

They are capable of forecasting these details as can be shown for wind in http://www.eirgrid.com/operations/systemperformancedata/windgeneration/ but the data is kept hidden from the public by met.ie for some reason! One wonders why?
    Really terrific forecast here... http://www.weathercheck.eu/wz/?page_id=236 ... Must add full suite of cities in near future.

Full gale for Dublin CC tomorrow peaking at 3pm with sustained 75 km/hr winds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Any reports of snow in kerry or cork? im in north of cork city on fairly high ground

Brother in law said they had snow in Killavullen not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

How nice of you to ask in our behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

aisling86 wrote: »
    Where's here??

I don't know, you don't have any location on your profile?
    Anyway, it has cleared up here again, have to head into Galway city in the morning, that should be fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just finished driving on the M7 from Dublin to Limerick. There is already snow falling in the Nenagh / Birdhill area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Fairly heavy rain now in Dundalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Quite a decent snowfall now in Sligo town for the last twenty minutes. Our guest from La Palma is ecstatic, they don't get snow in the Canaries. It's a bit like Cork I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Sleet falling in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I've to head to Waterford from Dublin at 6.30 in the morning...

Wonder if the roads will be in bad shape?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

mfceiling wrote: »
    I've to head to Waterford from Dublin at 6.30 in the morning...

Wonder if the roads will be in bad shape?

If its very bad, the roads will be taken in.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

18z keeps the winds tomorrow severe, a tight gradient. No reason to think we won't see similar or stronger winds than during Stephen's Day, especially in Central, Eastern parts.

gfs-0-21-3h.png?18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Just started lashing rain Dublin N.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

Snow here on top of Croagh Patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Latest Hirlam keeps it severe also

http://www.emhi.ee/index.php?ide=19,394,416,419

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

All gone quiet in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18z keeps the winds tomorrow severe, a tight gradient. No reason to think we won't see similar or stronger winds than during Stephen's Day, especially in Central, Eastern parts.

Here is a comparison between winds on the night of the 26th/27th last month and what the 18Z GFS is showing for peak gusts over the south/east tomorrow.

The Stephen's Day storm was both stronger and had a significantly wider windfield over Ireland than what is shown for tomorrow.

I don't see how it could be as strong let alone stronger?

That's not to say it won't be very windy at times...but no worse than we've seen this winter already.

YV4Yw4J.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement