Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cockroaches in new apartment in Sydney

Options
  • 29-01-2014 5:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Myself and the oh are on a a whv and arrived less than a week ago. Were staying in Haymarket in Sydney. The place was nice and clean however a day in we have seen a few cockroaches.

From what we have been told, this is quite common in OZ. Do you guys have any recommendations to remove these pesky insects?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Fol20 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Myself and the oh are on a a whv and arrived less than a week ago. Were staying in Haymarket in Sydney. The place was nice and clean however a day in we have seen a few cockroaches.

From what we have been told, this is quite common in OZ. Do you guys have any recommendations to remove these pesky insects?

Keep the place spotless. No crumbs, don't leave food out, wash up dishes etc straight away. Use sealed containers.

Bleach down work tops every day. Hoover regularly. Use bombs if they are really bad but it'll get cooler soon and they will start dying away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Keep windows closed when lights are on. As mentioned keep the place very clean.
    Its summer so there are much more prevelant but living in Haymarket.... well I am not surprised you are finding bugs and the like in your apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You can get the floor spray, any entry to rooms spray it, or any entry points to walls, and always spray bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's summer, it's pretty common. They are pretty good at getting about, so even if you place is 100% cockroach free. It's incredibly easy for them to fly yo to your balcony, through a window, walk in the door, etc.
    You just have to ensure they don't hang about by keeping the place as clean as you can. And also by using a spray that ensures that the ones that enter die.

I use this one. Spray it across doors, windows, obvious paths of travel. You might find dead ones close to where you sprayed every know and again in the morning but thats a sign that its doing its job. Protection seams to last for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

jank wrote: »
    Keep windows closed when lights are on. As mentioned keep the place very clean.
    Its summer so there are much more prevelant but living in Haymarket.... well I am not surprised you are finding bugs and the like in your apartment.

Why whats wrong with Haymarket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Pretty common in Sydney I'm afraid. Everything everyone says above is helpful. Keep the spray on hand. I also stuck a few roach motels near where I thought they were getting in.

Disgusting things but hard to get rid of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Is there anything you can do in Australia that doesn't involve watching out for extreme sun, poisonous insects, sharks or bogans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

seachto7 wrote: »
    Is there anything you can do in Australia that doesn't involve watching out for extreme sun, poisonous insects, sharks or bogans?

Yes, get paid every week.

I personally would not live there.Noisy, dirty, busy and the state of the accommodation leaves a lot to be desired. I looked around there for a flat years ago. That was enough for me to stay clear of the place. Usually they will have a two bed apartment where there will be about 8 people living there. Now you may have a nice pad and all and good luck to you but I am not surprised your apartment is crawling with bugs.

Hey, at least you can eat you pretty cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I personally would not live there.Noisy, dirty, busy and the state of the accommodation leaves a lot to be desired. I looked around there for a flat years ago. That was enough for me to stay clear of the place. Usually they will have a two bed apartment where there will be about 8 people living there. Now you may have a nice pad and all and good luck to you but I am not surprised your apartment is crawling with bugs.

The Paddy's Market is always a bit of fun

• Advertisement

Yea your right, however it reminds of living in New York high rise apartments so I thought I'd like to try it out. Yea we went to a few places and there were about 10 people in the house but our one only has 4 people in the apartment.

Try it out by all mean but I would say have an eye to move in some months. Much better cleaner options elsewhere that are pretty close the the CBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Cockroaches may be revolting, but they're not poisonous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Evidently roaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I looked at a place there 3 years ago. $140 a week in a 2 story, 4 bedroom penthouse. Sounded great!

The reality was 3 sets of bunk beds in each room, tall office partition walls in the big living room with at least another 2 sets of bunk beds in each "room". I didn't hang around to see who lived on the balcony... so there was at least 32 people living in a very fancy penthouse in Haymarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Hi Fol20,
    I started to have a big problem with them in my apartment at the start of the summer. In the same place a couple of years and had a handful over the course of the summer last year but this year, i think i saw 6 in the space of 3/4 days = 2 of them being in my bedroom, big huge ones, boldly crawling up the wall when the lights were on! Worryingly we then also started seeing tiny baby ones, you had to look hard to even confirm they were cockroaches - so we knew it was becoming more of a problem. Also these were just the ones we could see, usually they only move around in the dark! Anytime we got up in the night to get a drink or anything, when i opened the fridge a cockroach without fail would scurry off across the floor when the light came on! Was horrible, and couldn't understand how there was so many all of a sudden.

Some useful tips from my recent experience:

1)Solve the current infestation - Buy the mortein bombs, they are about $12-15 - pack of 3, available in the supermarkets or Bunnings. Close any balcony doors and windows and leave all 3 off at the same time - i left one off in the combined kitchen/living area, 1 off in my bedroom, 1 in the hall with doors open into the 2nd bedroom and bathroom. They give a guidance on what room size one bomb covers but in my experience its best to blitz the place in one go. If you have a large apartment, buy a 2nd pack of 3 and use another bomb if necessary. You'll need to do it when you are going to be out of the house for a few hours due to fumes.

-Don't expect to come home to a mountain of dead cockroaches straight away, after a day or 2, i found a couple had crawled out of hiding places (once the fumes had got into them) and looked as if they had died a horrible death! You may not find any dead ones at all but you should definitely not see any live cockroaches for a while after them. The bombs are supposed to last for a few months I think.

2)Prevent any more with Baits - you'll get these in any supermarket. Throw them under the fridge, under the tv unit etc, around any areas you have seen the cockroaches flee under.

3)Longterm preventation - As a previous poster mentioned, spray down any surfaces around doors, windows, any cracks in the wall, drains and air vents etc, under the sink, under the fridge etc. I have found a couple in my ensuite which could have only come through the air vent or drain. I went and got professional grade stuff which came in a 3L container with a hose and gun attachment for about $20 in Bunnings. Literally sprayed the bejesus out of the place and still have 2/3 of it left, apparently it lasts upto 6 months but i give a spray around every few weeks when i think of it. I have seen a couple of dead cockroaches on our balcony who looked like they tried to crawl over the step into the living room and died in pain from the poison.

I've always been skeptical of the cans of mortein - even the 'extra strength' stuff, cockroaches are tricky little things, they move so quick and when they grow wings its even worse to try and catch them, but i literally used half a can of the spray on one before and it didnt even slow him down for a second! handy to have on hand all the same.

All of this stuff should cost between $40-50 but should get you through the rest of the warm weather at least!

Remember to not leave any food out unwrapped or dirty dishes out in the open for any period but especially overnight, bring the bins out daily or every 2nd day in the summer (they'll smell anyway) and just be hygenic especially around the kitchen area and that'll definitely help the situation. If you don't have flyscreens on the windows or balcony door, be careful leaving these open if the lights are on. It is impossible to prevent cockroaches completely - especially when they can fly in the open windows or doors, but hopefully the things i have found useful will help you.

Yes, get paid every week.

I don't get you? Could you not paid in Ireland? That's your problem, not mine.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I don't get you? Could you not paid in Ireland? That's your problem, not mine.. :rolleyes:

You only asked is there anything you can do in Australia that doesn't involve watching out for extreme sun, poisonous insects, sharks or bogans?

Getting paid doesn't involve any of the above.

Neither you or him mentioned Ireland.

it was a pretty dumb question, but great answer.

Was it? That's Aussie humour for you. Sh*t.

Welsh.

• Advertisement

Why did you delete your reply to me calling me a wanker?

"Getting paid". The obvious dig that you don't get paid in Ireland, and the usual digs you get off Aussie based posters on here, as if we're some shower of morons back in Ireland.

I get enough of it off people I know in real life in Aus telling me how sh*t Ireland is, and how great Aus is. It looks like the "master race" Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi-ness rubs off on most posters on here as well.

I've seen it all before. Bloke can't get a job in Ireland. Bloke can't pull in Ireland. Bloke has a chip on the shoulder about Ireland. Bloke goes to Australia. Bloke gets job. Bloke pulls a local lass using a bit of toora loora begorra ness. Bloke suddenly thinks Australia is the BEST country in the world because things start working out for him. Bloke comes to the conclusion that Ireland is a hell hole and a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

"Getting paid". The obvious dig that you don't get paid in Ireland, and the usual digs you get off Aussie based posters on here, as if we're some shower of morons back in Ireland.

I get enough of it off people I know in real life in Aus telling me how sh*t Ireland is, and how great Aus is. It looks like the "master race" Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi-ness rubs off on most posters on here as well.

I've seen it all before. Bloke can't get a job in Ireland. Bloke can't pull in Ireland. Bloke has a chip on the shoulder about Ireland. Bloke goes to Australia. Bloke gets job. Bloke pulls a local lass using a bit of toora loora begorra ness. Bloke suddenly thinks Australia is the BEST country in the world because things start working out for him. Bloke comes to the conclusion that Ireland is a hell hole and a kip.

Had a job in Ireland.
    Never had problem getting the wimmenz!
    No chip about Ireland here..

But Australia is a amazing country and it sounds like it's you that has the chip..

What's so amazing about Ireland, well imo family and generally the people are nice but it's got chit weather, almost nothing to do on your days off that doesn't involve the usual boring chit or sitting in a pub somewhere.

This country just caters to the outdoor lifestyle, it sucks that you're so negative though...But it's good you're staying in Ireland because theres enough Irish morons here already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mod - can we all just calm down.

It was a one line response no need to over analyse it.

Further personal digs will result in infractions.

top madra wrote: »
    Had a job in Ireland.
    Never had problem getting the wimmenz!
    No chip about Ireland here..

But Australia is a amazing country and it sounds like it's you that has the chip..

What's so amazing about Ireland, well imo family and generally the people are nice but it's got chit weather, almost nothing to do on your days off that doesn't involve the usual boring chit or sitting in a pub somewhere.

This country just caters to the outdoor lifestyle, it sucks that you're so negative though...But it's good you're staying in Ireland because theres enough Irish morons here already.

:) Hilarious. I don't drink and am able to fill my weekends doing loads of stuff so sorry to hear your social life in Ireland you had to sit around doing nothing.
    I lived abroad before and probably won't settle in Ireland but I count myself lucky I don't have to move to the other side of the world for work. But I won't rule anything out. Aus has lots of good points

Now about those cockroaches...

amybabes wrote: »
    Hi Fol20,
    I started to have a big problem with them in my apartment at the start of the summer. In the same place a couple of years and had a handful over the course of the summer last year but this year, i think i saw 6 in the space of 3/4 days = 2 of them being in my bedroom, big huge ones, boldly crawling up the wall when the lights were on! Worryingly we then also started seeing tiny baby ones, you had to look hard to even confirm they were cockroaches - so we knew it was becoming more of a problem. Also these were just the ones we could see, usually they only move around in the dark! Anytime we got up in the night to get a drink or anything, when i opened the fridge a cockroach without fail would scurry off across the floor when the light came on! Was horrible, and couldn't understand how there was so many all of a sudden.

Some useful tips from my recent experience:

1)Solve the current infestation - Buy the mortein bombs, they are about $12-15 - pack of 3, available in the supermarkets or Bunnings. Close any balcony doors and windows and leave all 3 off at the same time - i left one off in the combined kitchen/living area, 1 off in my bedroom, 1 in the hall with doors open into the 2nd bedroom and bathroom. They give a guidance on what room size one bomb covers but in my experience its best to blitz the place in one go. If you have a large apartment, buy a 2nd pack of 3 and use another bomb if necessary. You'll need to do it when you are going to be out of the house for a few hours due to fumes.

-Don't expect to come home to a mountain of dead cockroaches straight away, after a day or 2, i found a couple had crawled out of hiding places (once the fumes had got into them) and looked as if they had died a horrible death! You may not find any dead ones at all but you should definitely not see any live cockroaches for a while after them. The bombs are supposed to last for a few months I think.

2)Prevent any more with Baits - you'll get these in any supermarket. Throw them under the fridge, under the tv unit etc, around any areas you have seen the cockroaches flee under.

3)Longterm preventation - As a previous poster mentioned, spray down any surfaces around doors, windows, any cracks in the wall, drains and air vents etc, under the sink, under the fridge etc. I have found a couple in my ensuite which could have only come through the air vent or drain. I went and got professional grade stuff which came in a 3L container with a hose and gun attachment for about $20 in Bunnings. Literally sprayed the bejesus out of the place and still have 2/3 of it left, apparently it lasts upto 6 months but i give a spray around every few weeks when i think of it. I have seen a couple of dead cockroaches on our balcony who looked like they tried to crawl over the step into the living room and died in pain from the poison.

I've always been skeptical of the cans of mortein - even the 'extra strength' stuff, cockroaches are tricky little things, they move so quick and when they grow wings its even worse to try and catch them, but i literally used half a can of the spray on one before and it didnt even slow him down for a second! handy to have on hand all the same.

All of this stuff should cost between $40-50 but should get you through the rest of the warm weather at least!

Remember to not leave any food out unwrapped or dirty dishes out in the open for any period but especially overnight, bring the bins out daily or every 2nd day in the summer (they'll smell anyway) and just be hygenic especially around the kitchen area and that'll definitely help the situation. If you don't have flyscreens on the windows or balcony door, be careful leaving these open if the lights are on. It is impossible to prevent cockroaches completely - especially when they can fly in the open windows or doors, but hopefully the things i have found useful will help you.

Thanks amy, ill have to show this to the gf as shes freaking out a bit. Can you get those mortein bombs in coles or pharmacy's?

Mortein bombs can be got from the likes of Bunnings for sure, maybe supermarkets too.

The thing is, it could be unclean neighbours, nearby bins etc attracting them, you just don't know?

The bigger bugs can just fly in and appear. Nothing you can do about it.

WD40 is seemingly a good roach killer with a direct spray, and its main ingredient is fish oil so not so toxic. I'm yet to fully research it and try to out though.

If you see any huntsman spiders in your place, don't kill them. They are harmless to you, no matter how scary they look but they love all the insects you can't stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

[QUOTE=pete4130;88778440
    WD40 is seemingly a good roach killer with a direct spray, and its main ingredient is fish oil so not so toxic. I'm yet to fully research it and try to out though[/QUOTE]
    Fish oil? I think you might need to check your source for that.
    WD40 is a petrol based solvent. It's definitely toxic. I'd be very surprised if that secret recipe contained fish oil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

get the landlord to get rid of them

boric acid

Boric acid, also called hydrogen borate, boracic acid, orthoboric acid and acidum boricum, is a weak acid of boron often used as an antiseptic, insecticide

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Fish oil? I think you might need to check your source for that.
    WD40 is a petrol based solvent. It's definitely toxic. I'd be very surprised if that secret recipe contained fish oil.

I stand corrected. It's not fish oil.

Advertisement