Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iona vs Panti

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

ne0ica wrote: »
    Drag queens are for the entertainment and amusement of middle class bores who think eating a Chinese is cosmopolitan and going to a gay bar makes them cool. Panti isn't even a good looking woman.

now it all makes sense. We have a time-traveller from the 1970s in our midst :p

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

SW wrote: »

Does he know John Titor?

• Site Banned Posts: 66 ✭✭ne0ica

your personal aversion to men in womens clothing notwithstanding, less than 20% oppose marriage equality. And considering the massive public support Rory has received, I'd say that the average citizen isn't as blinkered as you appear to be.

Think of some young gay man coming to teens with his sexuality and his only model is panti. It's enough to be suicidal. But hey feck that are so mature and PC that we think it's cool to egg on a hysterical drag queen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'll have a prawn cocktail, steak Diane, baked Alaska and bottle of blue nun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Think of some young gay man coming to teens with his sexuality and his only model is panti. It's enough to be suicidal. But hey feck that are so mature and PC that we think it's cool to egg on a hysterical drag queen.

Why would Panti be his only role model? You're stretching now.
    lazygal wrote: »
    I'll have a prawn cocktail, steak Diane, baked Alaska and bottle of blue nun.

Ugh, Blue Nun, how positively proletarian.

• Advertisement

I'd be more concerned that those same young men would be exposed to people like you that label those that are different as freaks. Confidence in who they are is preferable to the self-loathing you'd prefer to instil in them.

I'd be more concerned that those same young men would be exposed to people like you that label those that are different as freaks. Confidence in who they are is preferable to the self-loathing you'd prefer to instil in them.

Really. We'll I've never had the inclination to dress up in drag or become the confidant and shopping buddy of some obnoxious blond bimbo from south Dublin. Does that make me full of self loathe too.

Really. We'll I've never had the inclination to dress up in drag or become the confidant and shopping buddy of some obnoxious blond bimbo from south Dublin. Does that make me full of self loathe too.

Where did I suggest that the young gay men had to become drag artist? The point, which you missed, was that Rory says that homosexuals shouldn't have to take crap for being different. You promote the idea of labelling people that are different as freaks. World needs less of your type of attitude and more of Rorys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Does that make me full of self loathe too.

Well, you are definitely full of something alright.

(My money is on bottom-shelf vodka drunk from a chipped teacup.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

People deviating from gender and sexual norms force me to contemplate the deviant desires that lurk quietly in my heart. I get afraid and feel urges to confront and destroy these people because I am emotionally damaged and incapable of being happy in my own skin. I express it on the internet because all I can manage in person is to passive-aggressively grunt 'fag' when I see a handsome young fella waltzing along the road. I am terrified of everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Do you really think any gay teen in Ireland today is relying on the Irish media to find their role models? In fact is any teen, gay or straight, not able to find their own? Give teens a bit of credit. For the record I think Rory/Panti is a wonderful role model for everyone not just the gay community. His choice of career is not really relevant to the debate. He is a gay man who just happens to work as a drag queen after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Panti is a joke. Who elected that freak spokesperson and chief for the gay community.

Hi David.

P.

I've got a little story for you. My mum liked John Waters, she really didn't know much about him, but she often liked him when he appeared on the Late Late, or that ice skating show where he shuffled around on some sort of walker wearing a fez. She really didn't understand why I had such a strong dislike for him or why I'd call him "that gobsh*te" if I saw him on TV, he's a lovely man she told me. Recently we were having coffee and we were talking about the whole Panti/RTE controversy and how Waters and the Iona shower were taking legal action, and she said something with regards to Jawn that I found very telling, she said to me "You always said he was bad, but I never knew why" with shake of her head. Her opinion on Rory or Panti, she said he was right to say what he said, and didn't even comment on the drag thing, it didn't enter into it.

What this whole debate has really done is tossed aside the masks of Waters and friends, all the nasty, homophobic and vitriolic things they've preached have been brought front and center in the public eye.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Well, you are definitely full of something alright.

(My money is on bottom-shelf vodka drunk from a chipped teacup.)

Nah, matteus rose or black tower.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Do you really think any gay teen in Ireland today is relying on the Irish media to find their role models? In fact is any teen, gay or straight, not able to find their own? Give teens a bit of credit. For the record I think Rory/Panti is a wonderful role model for everyone not just the gay community. His choice of career is not really relevant to the debate. He is a gay man who just happens to work as a drag queen after all.

What I think is this. Rory I can take seriously and emphasise with. Panti is just another hilarious panto routine for straight people to laugh at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yes, because Panti is the only gay man in Ireland.

Donal Og Cusack.....nope don't know him.

Graham Norton? Nope.....

David Norris.....is he a rugby player?

Links234 wrote: »
    I've got a little story for you. My mum liked John Waters, she really didn't know much about him, but she often liked him when he appeared on the Late Late, or that ice skating show where he shuffled around on some sort of walker wearing a fez. She really didn't understand why I had such a strong dislike for him or why I'd call him "that gobsh*te" if I saw him on TV, he's a lovely man she told me. Recently we were having coffee and we were talking about the whole Panti/RTE controversy and how Waters and the Iona shower were taking legal action, and she said something with regards to Jawn that I found very telling, she said to me "You always said he was bad, but I never knew why" with shake of her head. Her opinion on Rory or Panti, she said he was right to say what he said, and didn't even comment on the drag thing, it didn't enter into it.

What this whole debate has really done is tossed aside the masks of Waters and friends, all the nasty, homophobic and vitriolic things they've preached have been brought front and center in the public eye.

Maybe in middle class Ireland. I can assure you the rest of us just saw a hysterical drag queen bang on about checking herself at pedestrian crossings to see if she looked gay in drag. What away to introduce Ireland to gay marriage.

What I think is this. Rory I can take seriously and emphasise with. Panti is just another hilarious panto routine for straight people to laugh at.

so you couldn't take the Noble Call seriously because Rory did it as Panti? you couldn't quell the internal dislike of drag artists and actually listen to the monologue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

18 Posts; 17 of them in the past hour on this thread.

1 on the Saturday night show thread giving out about the amount of gay guests on RTE chat shows.

so you couldn't take the Noble Call seriously because Rory did it as Panti? you couldn't quell the internal dislike of drag artists and actually listen to the monologue?

Imagine if Nelson Mandela or Martin Luther king had dressed up in drag and tried to deliver a serious political message.

• Advertisement

Maybe in middle class Ireland. I can assure you the rest of us just saw a hysterical drag queen bang on about checking herself at pedestrian crossings to see if she looked gay in drag. What away to introduce Ireland to gay marriage.

No, he was talking about how he checks himself when he is out of drag.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    18 Posts; 17 of them in the past hour on this thread.

1 on the Saturday night show thread giving out about the amount of gay guests on RTE chat shows.

I didn't give out just observed the fact.

Imagine if Nelson Mandela or Martin Luther king had dressed up in drag and tried to deliver a serious political message.

Imagine if we stopped judging people on their appearance, meaning they don't have to check themselves.

Speak for yourself. I saw an articulate person convey how they suffer tiny little cuts every day until it gets to the stage where they are afraid to be identified and abused based on a facet of their personality, much like you did in your opening salvo in this thread.

Rory has said that the reason he gave the speech in drag was because he was due to appear as Panti quite soon after being at the Abbey so he had no time to change. Most likely if he had time he would have gone on stage as Rory.

No, he was talking about how he checks himself when he is out of drag.

Im confused. So is it panti it Rory who is the persecuted minority

Rory has said that the reason he gave the speech in drag was because he was due to appear as Panti quite soon after being at the Abbey so he had no time to change. Most likely if he had time he would have gone on stage as Rory.

I guess that's why he showed up in drag in channel 4 news in drag as well. You'd think he would have made an effort when he was making such an important speech.

Neither Mandela or MLK were a public figure as a drag artist, so the comparison doesn't work.

I guess that's why he showed up in drag in channel 4 news in drag as well. You'd think he would have made an effort when he was making such an important speech.

What difference does it make? Do his words have more impact if he wears mens clothing or something? :confused:

• Advertisement

Maybe in middle class Ireland.

And where's this middle class Ireland then, where people think eating Chinese is cosmopolitan?

What difference does it make? Do his words have more impact if he wears mens clothing or something? :confused:

None of you seen to get it. Panti is promoting panti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Spew what. If the character panti was created as the new gay character in say fair city people here would decry it as a homophobic stereotype

Well that's just a stupid thing to say.

Which makes nothing that Panti has said irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

How fat the troll grows.

they would for ne0ica as all he/she can here in their mind is "OMG!! It's a man in womens clothing!!! I can already hear the bourgeoisie laughter!!!"

• Advertisement

It's what he said not what he wore that mattered to me.

You could be sitting at your keyboard wearing the most "sensible" clothes ever and your words are not inspiring me.
    Whereas yes panti was wearing her workwear but her words were incredibly inspiring.

Why not play the YouTube clip again but don't look at the screen.

Just as long as you ignore everything Rory has said since all this mess started on the Saturday night show.

So its all a big conspiracy to get more people into the Pantibar :rolleyes:

amdublin wrote: »
    It's what he said not what he wore that mattered to me.

You could be sitting at your keyboard wearing the most "sensible" clothes ever and your words are not inspiring me.
    Whereas yes panti was wearing her workwear but her words were incredibly inspiring.

Why not play the YouTube clip again but don't look at the screen.

Already seen it. Have read all the lionising of it in the Irish times. Hard to take a hysterical drag queen seriously. Also the part whets panti talks about parenting is a hoot.

Already seen it. Have read all the lionising of it in the Irish times. Hard to take a hysterical drag queen seriously. Also the part whets panti talks about parenting is a hoot.

Okay that's your opinion.

Goodbye!

• Advertisement

If you've seen the Noble Call video, I'm not sure how you could say Rory/Panti was hysterical?

amdublin wrote: »
    Okay that's your opinion.

Goodbye!

Panti raising a kid in drag is the stuff of a poorly written American sitcom.

You've used that word "hysterical" a few times now, honestly I can't see anything hysterical about Rory at all, in fact he's been quite restrained under the circumstances. If anyone has been hysterical its Quinn and co.

Panti raising a kid in drag is the stuff of a poorly written American sitcom.

because drag queens dress like that ALL the time...seriously I think you're confusing drag with Mrs Browns Boys or something

because drag queens dress like that ALL the time...seriously I think you're confusing drag with Mrs Browns Boys or something

I wouldn't want to see any child raised by a drag queen.

Why?

Why not? What does drag performance have to do with one's parenting ability?

You seem to keep trying to appeal to a prejudice that just isn't there in other people, you keep referring to the fact Panti is a drag queen as if this was in any way objectionable. Your entire argument thus far has been "Rory's a drag queen folks! A god damn freaky DRAAAG QUEEN!!! Are you not outraged? Why are you not outraged? Guys...? A hysterical drag queen, are you with me? A drag queen guys, come on! ....guys!?"

Links234 wrote: »
    Why not? What does drag performance have to do with one's parenting ability?

You seem to keep trying to appeal to a prejudice that just isn't there in other people, you keep referring to the fact Panti is a drag queen as if this was in any way objectionable. Your entire argument thus far has been "Rory's a drag queen folks! A god damn freaky DRAAAG QUEEN!!! Are you not outraged? Why are you not outraged? Guys...? A hysterical drag queen, are you with me? A drag queen guys, come on! ....guys!?"

Indeed. We should be more concerned about magicians. Feckers are liable to saw their child in half! :eek::pac:

I think Ne0ica thinks drag queens are really transgender and just won't admit it or something. Drag is what you do not who you are. Its a performance art, its not really all that different to the actors who dress up as women in panto. They all leave the theatre, bar, whatever in men's clothing. I can't see any reason why a drag artist shouldn't raise a child.

Why?

Because a child needs love and stability. Imagine panti outside the school gate dropping off kids.

• Advertisement
Advertisement